Never lift weights over your head!

2»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I have chronic tendinitis and joint stability issues with my right shoulder. PT never told me I can’t overhead press. I have been told to focus on form over adding weight - but that should be the case with any lift. Honestly upright row and bench irritate my shoulder more so my weight progression is slower with those lifts
    @SCoil123 the arching the back thing is something I'm having an issue with - I'm teaching a friend how to lift, and this is something he does on standing barbell OHP - he's not using much weight right now, about 65lbs, but I have been trying to correct his form on this and he keeps *kitten* doing it. Any tips on how to teach this? I know he can learn, his deadlift and squat form are actually really good now and I've only been teaching him a couple of weeks.

One of the best things that helped improve my form was videos. I watched videos and I video myself. Every time I make a gradual weight increase I film myself to check my alignment and make sure I’m engaging both sides of my body equally. It really helps to see yourself doing it rather than trying to understand while someone else describes what they see you doing. I’ve worked with PT and trainers and really this was a game changer for me. Also making sure to practice form with mirrors. I always go for the weight rack that has the clear mirror in front and to the side of me so I can check myself now
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    They say the shoulder isn't built for that

Ask them how they get their luggage into the overhead bin on flights. :+1:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm usually the first one to say that the plural of anecdote is not data but given the number of age group power lifters who are still competing I'm thinking that your doctor is giving bad advice. Lots of them still think that running wrecks your knees too......

I would suggest that lifting with bad form (crossfit, I'm looking at you) and trying to progress to heavier weights too quickly may be problematic.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Oh, it's a thing, not an idea based on any evidence, but it's something lots of educated people believe.

Here's a quick video of how pressing (properly) is actually good for the shoulder. https://youtu.be/5cnyRkZTtoM

Great video. I work with an orthopedic surgeon who helped me when I got serious about lifting. I was concerned with a dislocated shoulder that never really healed right. After a year of implementing OHP and above the shoulder lifts all my symptoms are gone and the improved musculature aided in aligning my shoulder closer to the ideal.

He was very cautious about starting with low weights until I got the movements and form precise. He was also very strict about not loading more than 5lbs/week. I hired a professional to ensure my form was perfect for the first month and then checked in every month afterwards.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Here is the line of thought from one source.
    https://www.ironmanmagazine.com/the-case-against-overhead-presses/

AHA!
    I think this must be it.
    Thank you.
    The reasoning seems to make some sense, though, again, I'm not sure I buy it.
    It would suggest that rotator cuff injuries are super common in weight lifters. Are they?
    The study I referenced above, a look at recreational weightlifters, said that shoulder was the location of 36 percent of all the weight training injuries. Well, that doesn't sound like an exorbitant percentage to me, given that probably about half of the exercises most people do in the gym are upper body exercises, where the shoulder is being used in some way or, at least, somewhat. Plus, my sense of the study is that these "injuries" were mostly just strains and things that interfered with training, not necessarily serious injury that led to a long-term problem or required medical help.
    I still feel like I am going to kinda put this 'advice' in the category of "never do squats past parallel," and "never let your knees go past your toes when squatting," and "running is bad for your knees, too much pounding." Yeah, there might be a grain of truth in those statements, ie that there is some risk of injury in doing those things. But the risk is overstated and there is actually health in doing those things.
    People who don't move have bigger problems, more frequently. I had surgery on my knee for a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus that happened while I was playing soccer, an activity with inherent risk. But I will guarantee you that, over the course of my lifetime, I have been to the doctor a whole lot less than anyone who has not engaged in physical activity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    OH press can cause shoulder impingement pretty easily if form is bad. Form is really important with the OH press. I see a lot of people using too wide of a grip and flaring their elbows and also not fully locking out at the top and not shrugging the shoulders towards to ceiling to engage the traps.