Uh oh- it’s starting!

13»

Replies

• rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Today is the holiday food day at work. I'm just treating it as a free day for logging, and will try to not overdo it with all the goodies. 😉
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Today is the holiday food day at work. I'm just treating it as a free day for logging, and will try to not overdo it with all the goodies. 😉

Enjoy the eats!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    okay.. I was whining over the time of year in general...but since I work for myself I don't face any of these temptations... so I'll be quiet now. But, that's got to be hard to resist. I'd picture all that food covered with hair or something gross..or imagine a co worker spitting in it..

:)

I work for myself as well. I make sweets. In front of me right this moment is crunchy caramel popcorn, fresh sugar cookies, rich and decadent dark chocolate brownies, peanut brittle, chewy vegan macaroons, red hot cinnamon candies and so much more.

Some days it's SO hard!
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    nooie19 wrote: »
    Im an elementary school teacher. Despite being a “healthy school” we have an abundance of sweets in the teachers lounge and at meetings. But two things have been transformative and I can say with gratitude that I have not eaten a single sweet treat or “extra” snack at work since the school year started.

So here is what has worked for me:
    1. I read Pema Chödrön. Both by reading her books and listening to her on Audible, I’ve been able to really dig deep and allow myself to experience uncomfortable emotions without distracting or comforting myself with food. There are still times when I feel the urge to grab a piece of chocolate, but now I take a moment to notice what I’m feeling that’s causing me to reach for chocolate. So the urge is now helping me to be more self-aware.
    2. I just have a personal commitment to NOT eat sweets at work at all. I think it’s helped me because I haven’t completely quit sweets. I still eat desserts on occasion, but I make the decision ahead of time and I decide ahead how much I will eat. Examples: a small piece of pie at Thanksgiving, a few bites of dessert at a nice restaurant, a piece of dessert at book club.

I hope that helps! I am not perfect by a long shot but wanted to share what has worked for me.

I got so many gifts from students this year, which I truly appreciate, but so many sweets!! I teach over 300 kids a week.. Can't eat all of it and I feel bad.. Do you have this problem as well? I was planning on bringing the sweets to my family gatherings so they can help, too.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    This sounds so grinch-y but I am almost looking forward to January. Horrible weather, taxes, new commitment to workout and dieting. Sounds pretty terrible, LOL!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    So here is what has worked for me:
    Wow, this is so useful and interesting. Thanks for sharing that!

• Ssssss666666
    Ssssss666666 Posts: 560 Member
    Difficult time of year for sure, stay strong everyone. seasons greetings xxx
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    I took the sweets from kids and put them out at staff meetings. Not great I know because I’m still enabling others but I least I’m not eating it! I also received homemade tamales which are more special. I ate one and shared the rest with my husband who is underweight and loves tamales.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    I took the sweets from kids and put them out at staff meetings. Not great I know because I’m still enabling others but I least I’m not eating it! I also received homemade tamales which are more special. I ate one and shared the rest with my husband who is underweight and loves tamales.

Id freeze those tamales in individual bags and drag one out every few weeks for a treat. What a great gift!
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm just glad people don't bring in platters of cured meats and cheeses and the like...I'd have a lot more problems with that. I can take or leave a cookie.

I am the same way....at a buffet, most people can't resist the dessert trays for me that does not even tempt me...I am more tempted by the meats/cheeses/creamy salads/buns, etc.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    I’ve retired and my husband misses those bags of treats from the kids at school:))). It did make it tough when we had special meals for celebrations. What actually derailed me was fitting in pizza from big Apple once a week with coworkers near the end of the year. I tried to skip breakfast, limit myself, but it really was hard and I struggled. Pizza is my kryptonite!