Does a food scale measure oil?..

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    evildead01 wrote: »
    If I have a bowl of raw chicken... reset the scale and I pour avocado oil into the bowl.

Mine says 14 grams per tablespoon. So I’m pouring the oil in and it’s like.. it looks like a lot before I hit that 14 grams! I’m sure I’m not supposed to do this.

The nutritional label on my olive oil and avocado oil both say 1 Tbsp or 14 grams @ 120 calories. Yes...you can weigh it...that's why it has the weight listed in grams.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    amy19355 wrote: »
    I use a teaspoon for oil , and if I were using the scale instead, I would weigh only the oil because it is so little compared to the weight of the chicken that the scale has trouble to recognize the addition.

What? No. The scale will recognize the 14g.

I usually use the TARE function between ingredients, but that's only because it's easier for me. I don't use tablespoons or teaspoons because that would mean dirtying another thing I have to wash, but I've found they are pretty close to a 14 gram measure with oils. 14g and 14 ml are so close weight wise that it's close enough.
    My point was lost in translation.
    When the scale has a heavy item already on it, it is more difficult for the scale to register an additional tiny amount.

Better to weigh the oil and chicken separately , IMO.

I think you need a better scale if you have this problem. I have a cheap Amazon Basics scale and it doesn't have this issue.

i will consider that the battery could be getting low. it does get a workout, this scale of mine!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I use a teaspoon for oil , and if I were using the scale instead, I would weigh only the oil because it is so little compared to the weight of the chicken that the scale has trouble to recognize the addition.

I usually use the TARE function between ingredients, but that's only because it's easier for me. I don't use tablespoons or teaspoons because that would mean dirtying another thing I have to wash, but I've found they are pretty close to a 14 gram measure with oils. 14g and 14 ml are so close weight wise that it's close enough.
    When the scale has a heavy item already on it, it is more difficult for the scale to register an additional tiny amount.

I actually find the opposite to be true with my scale. Mine reads small amounts like this better if I'm just adding it to the weight of something heavier like a chicken breast (don't tare first, just do the math) rather than weighing it alone.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

I think you need a better scale if you have this problem. I have a cheap Amazon Basics scale and it doesn't have this issue.

i will consider that the battery could be getting low. it does get a workout, this scale of mine!

Also, pour slowly. I found that sometimes (especially if the battery is getting low) it takes a second or two for something light to register. It does register the amount accurately.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited December 2018
    Even my cheapy Amazon scale can measure accurately. I'll stick a heavy ceramic bowl on it and it will still register even the smallest amount added.