Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Artificial Sweeteners

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Okay but what about Splenda. They say it does something nefarious to DNA and who wants that?

Who says that?
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Maybe you need a source better than Newsmax...
    (From Newsmax.com)

Artificial Sweetener Alters DNA

By Dr. Brownstein
    Tuesday, 06 September 2016 04:45 PM Current | Bio | Archive

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener found in thousands of consumer foods and beverages. It is noncaloric and is 300 to 1,000 times as sweet as table sugar.

The chemical structure of sucralose is very similar to table sugar, but it contains three chlorine atoms, which table sugar does not.

The FDA claims that sucralose is safe for human consumption. But if you study the clinical literature behind sucralose, I don’t know how any person could come to that conclusion.

Animal studies found that large doses of sucralose disrupted intestinal flora by decreasing the amount of bacteria by 50 percent and increasing the pH level in the colon.

This caused increases in body weight. However, these results were found only when rats ingested very large amounts of sucralose.

There are many side effects associated with sucralose, including:

• Allergic reactions

• Blurred vision

• Dizziness

• Elevated blood sugar and insulin

• Gastrointestinal problems

• Migraines

• Seizures

• Weight gain

Sucralose was also found to alter the normal DNA in mice, a process that can cause cancer.

And if that isn’t bad enough, when it is heated sucralose can turn into toxic chloropropanols and other dioxin-like compounds.

Clearly, sucralose should be avoided. It has no therapeutic value and it is associated with a host of adverse effects, particularly when heated.

(I know, I know. You guys are going to make fun of the mice and call the Dr. a quack because he's not a mainstream. But this seems a little scary.)

• newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    (From Newsmax.com)

By Dr. Brownstein

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener found in thousands of consumer foods and beverages. It is noncaloric and is 300 to 1,000 times as sweet as table sugar.

The chemical structure of sucralose is very similar to table sugar, but it contains three chlorine atoms, which table sugar does not.

The FDA claims that sucralose is safe for human consumption. But if you study the clinical literature behind sucralose, I don’t know how any person could come to that conclusion.

Animal studies found that large doses of sucralose disrupted intestinal flora by decreasing the amount of bacteria by 50 percent and increasing the pH level in the colon.

This caused increases in body weight. However, these results were found only when rats ingested very large amounts of sucralose.

• Allergic reactions

• Blurred vision

• Dizziness

• Migraines

• Seizures

• Weight gain

Sucralose was also found to alter the normal DNA in mice, a process that can cause cancer.

And if that isn’t bad enough, when it is heated sucralose can turn into toxic chloropropanols and other dioxin-like compounds.

Clearly, sucralose should be avoided. It has no therapeutic value and it is associated with a host of adverse effects, particularly when heated.

(I know, I know. You guys are going to make fun of the mice and call the Dr. a quack because he's not a mainstream. But this seems a little scary.)

I won't call him a "quack," but I will say that self-describing as "one of the nation's foremost practitioners of holistic medicine" doesn't inspire me with a whole lot of confidence. And the whole Newsmax website looks . . . interesting.

https://www.newsmax.com/Health/Dr-Brownstein/article/2010/10/18/id/476512/

Ok but if you Google Spenda+DNA a lot of stuff pops up, not just on Newsmax.

You can Google just about anything and a lot of stuff will pop up. That is not a good method to evaluate the soundness of a claim. If you have a particular source other than Brownstein and Newsmax that you find compelling, feel free to share that.

Okay let me look into this further.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    It has been my experience, after cutting out 3 to 4 bottles of diet pepsi a day, that after a week or so I noticed that I dont crave sweets as much as before.

I noticed that many sound weight management programs have a session/module of "reseting your sweet", which entails minimizing sugar for a few weeks to reset your taste buds so you don't crave the alternating salty/sweet response. This is also common when US citizens travel outside the US. They don't notice until they come back how salty and sweet everything is. Not that this is harmful - sugar and salt are incredibly effective preservatives.

My n=1 anecdote will confirm this.

I lived in Germany for three years courtesy of Uncle Sam and recall this.

I went through it again in 2012 when I took a three week vacation in Italy. Two things struck me while there:

1. Many Europeans loved the North American breakfast cereals in our first hotel's breakfast buffet. While my wife and I were eating the fresh fruits, cheeses and breads, I saw people, obviously not North Americans, enjoying the rare treat. I guess novelty on both sides of the equation.

2. I couldn't eat US pizza for about year after coming home from that trip. The ingredients tasted so much more fresh in Italy compared to what I was accustomed to in the US.

Of course, YMMV.

US pizza varies. I usually get it in various local Italian restaurants, and the ingredients don't taste different from what I recall eating in Italy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The only artificial sweeteners I use are the ones in diet sodas - which I drink a few of per week.

I have nothing against other artificial sweeteners but I drink coffee unsweetened , I put half tsp of sugar on my cereal and don't add any sweetener, sugar or artificial, to anything else.

I did have a problem once with sugar free candies, I suck a few on take off , landings of plane trips, helps my ears not to pop ( don't ask me how but does work)
    One day I did 3 plane trips in a day - suffice to say was very glad to get back to my own bathroom at end of the day :o

But diet sodas do not cause me any issues.

Sugar free candies (gum, suckers, etc.) tend to use sugar alcohols for sweetener. Sugar alcohols are known to cause some intestinal distress in some people (not all).
    Diet sodas, on the other hand, typically use aspartame or sucralose.

yes I figured it must be a different sort of artificial sweetener.

My n=1: a couple of sugar free lollies are ok, but more than that cause diahhroea.
    Diet free sodas ( and presumably anything else with aspartame) cause no problems.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    (From Newsmax.com)

By Dr. Brownstein

• Allergic reactions

• Blurred vision

• Dizziness

• Migraines

• Seizures

• Weight gain

A guy on YouTube said it too.

I'm hoping this isnt a serious post - but just in case it is - guys on Youtube say all sorts of things.
    By no means are all of them accurate.

as a little experiment I just searched for "Proof earth is flat" and got umpteen pages of Youtube clips.

Admitedly some are probably spoofs - but fair few are guys saying in all seriousness that the earth is flat.
    Does that make it true???

It’s not. She’s a troll.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The only artificial sweeteners I use are the ones in diet sodas - which I drink a few of per week.

I have nothing against other artificial sweeteners but I drink coffee unsweetened , I put half tsp of sugar on my cereal and don't add any sweetener, sugar or artificial, to anything else.

I did have a problem once with sugar free candies, I suck a few on take off , landings of plane trips, helps my ears not to pop ( don't ask me how but does work)
    One day I did 3 plane trips in a day - suffice to say was very glad to get back to my own bathroom at end of the day :o

But diet sodas do not cause me any issues.

Sugar free candies (gum, suckers, etc.) tend to use sugar alcohols for sweetener. Sugar alcohols are known to cause some intestinal distress in some people (not all).
    Diet sodas, on the other hand, typically use aspartame or sucralose.

Sugar alcohols are typically heat stable and aspartame is not which is likely why sugar alcohols are used in candies. Not sure why sucralose isn't as its heat stable too. Or maybe it is I dont know.
  • newmeadow
    (From Newsmax.com)

By Dr. Brownstein

• Allergic reactions

• Blurred vision

• Dizziness

• Migraines

• Seizures

• Weight gain

Your post count tells me you've been around for a while. What makes you think "a guy on youtube said so" is going to be convincing anyone?

I don't know how to drag a link over using my phone. So I'll give you the title of the You Tube video. It's: Slim Fast Review 2018. Does It Really Work?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    (From Newsmax.com)

By Dr. Brownstein

• Allergic reactions

• Blurred vision

• Dizziness

• Migraines

• Seizures

• Weight gain

Your post count tells me you've been around for a while. What makes you think "a guy on youtube said so" is going to be convincing anyone?

Most of her posts are in Chit Chat. I'll leave it at that.
  • newmeadow
    mph323 wrote: »
    (From Newsmax.com)

By Dr. Brownstein

• Allergic reactions

• Blurred vision

• Dizziness

• Migraines

• Seizures

• Weight gain

Most of her posts are in Chit Chat. I'll leave it at that.

Uh oh. You're lurking in Chit Chat. Come on now, just admit it...