Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Would you eat cricket protein?

Replies

• TheRoadDogTheRoadDog Posts: 11,767Member Member Posts: 11,767Member Member
    When I was teaching TKD, my Master invited me to his wedding. Korean wedding. After the wedding, the men all retired to a Korean Bar around the corner. It was very dark and the drinks just kept coming. And they kept bringing these very crunchy snacks. Turned out to be assorted bugs. Crickets included.
  • nathalier71nathalier71 Posts: 597Member Member Posts: 597Member Member
    It's actually not that bad - I bought a bag of cricket powder at the grocery store -for the days I don't get enough protein - I sometimes will put in with my cereal -you don't taste it when you mix it with something.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,155Member Member Posts: 2,155Member Member
    I just rewatched the Top Chef Masters episode where the quickfire competition was bug-based. Cricket was one of the dishes (and far from the most unappealing).
  • youcantflexcardioyoucantflexcardio Posts: 347Member, Premium Member Posts: 347Member, Premium Member
  • Keep_on_cardioKeep_on_cardio Posts: 2,932Member Member Posts: 2,932Member Member
    I’m envisioning how I scream, when I see a cockroach and so my mind is telling me,,,,,, I WOULD NOT 😱😱😱🤢 Eww
  • Safari_GalSafari_Gal Posts: 888Member Member Posts: 888Member Member
    I’m now seeing cricket protein everywhere .....I’m surprised more people haven’t chimed in on MFP to say that they have tried it. I saw cricket fuel today. High in vitamin b12. 🤔
    edited December 2018
  • dsbooheaddsboohead Posts: 1,895Member Member Posts: 1,895Member Member
    Nope I could not! 🤮
  • Vikka_VVikka_V Posts: 7,634Member Member Posts: 7,634Member Member
    Not knowingly
  • dsbooheaddsboohead Posts: 1,895Member Member Posts: 1,895Member Member
    🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮
  • Fatty_NuffFatty_Nuff Posts: 273Member Member Posts: 273Member Member
    I'm thinking of keto rice. Stir fried maggots instead of that nasty carby rice.
  • Safari_GalSafari_Gal Posts: 888Member Member Posts: 888Member Member
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I'm thinking of keto rice. Stir fried maggots instead of that nasty carby rice.

You might like Sardinian casu marzu - basically maggot cheese.

• LuciiculLuciicul Posts: 172Member Member Posts: 172Member Member
    If it’s healthy, ground fine so looks and feels like any other protein powder or “flour”, is easy to use, tastes no worse than alternatives, and is no more expensive, then yes.

Btw we already eat some insects accidentally: all ground products have an allowable % margin of insects built into our food safety standards as it is inevitable that our food supply chain cannot be 100% insect free.

I think we will have more insect options in the future; is potentially a more sustainable form of protein than most our current options.
  • Stockholm_AndyStockholm_Andy Posts: 610Member Member Posts: 610Member Member
    Sure why not.
  • Carlos_421Carlos_421 Posts: 4,771Member, Premium Member Posts: 4,771Member, Premium Member
    At which point before, during or after the apocalypse?
  • MissCatarina1980MissCatarina1980 Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
  • StargazerBStargazerB Posts: 313Member Member Posts: 313Member Member
    I'd give it a try.
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHereInsertFunnyUsernameHere Posts: 271Member Member Posts: 271Member Member
    Nope.

I'm not a shape shifting reptilian.

heres-a-picture-of-amazon-founder-jeff-bezos-eating-a-cockroach.jpg
  • SDR1970SDR1970 Posts: 9Member Member Posts: 9Member Member
    Chapulines (grasshoppers) are quite common here in Mexico and feature heavily in Oaxaca cuisine. They're often served up as a bar snack, dry fried with chilies and peanuts and they're fine in a quesadilla. It's best if you've got a toothpick handy for afterwards, it's embarrassing having spinach stuck in your teeth, insect legs is a whole other level.
  • ladyreva78ladyreva78 Posts: 3,935Member Member Posts: 3,935Member Member
    SDR1970 wrote: »
    Chapulines (grasshoppers) are quite common here in Mexico and feature heavily in Oaxaca cuisine. They're often served up as a bar snack, dry fried with chilies and peanuts and they're fine in a quesadilla. It's best if you've got a toothpick handy for afterwards, it's embarrassing having spinach stuck in your teeth, insect legs is a whole other level.

:laugh:

Reminds me of my last dental hygienist appointment. "Oh, you had spinach for lunch!"

The dangers of having an appointment right after lunch :tongue:
  • magnusthenerdmagnusthenerd Posts: 524Member Member Posts: 524Member Member
    I have eaten cricket. It seemed to taste mostly of the salt seasoning on it.

When vegetarians say they would not for ethical reasons, I wonder what those ethical reasons are.