Help at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have their own advise, personally I would try everything, see what you like best!! Once you find the things you enjoy most, make a workout plan from there. I've done many different types of workouts at gyms, but found that lifting (free weights) was something I love. I did a lot of research online (mostly youtube) and practice for form. Whatever it is, its important you enjoy it!!!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »

When you read this thread (and I hope you read the start of it, it's a long thread) just understand that you won't be able to do some of the programs at Planet Fitness as they don't have the equipment for deadlifts or squats. The dumbbell programs will work fine.

What about The Smith Machine?!

Why would this have been flagged? I see a lot of people doing deads and squats on the Smith Machine. :angry:

Someone may have hit it by accident, or has no idea what the flagging system is for, or has no idea what a smith machine is, or is personally offended by the smith machine. Around here, I suspect all four of those are equally possible. You can flag your own post and request that the abuse flag be removed, since it's obviously inappropriate. They can also see who did it, and follow up, if it's a chronic flag abuser.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    cogirljb55 wrote: »
    Everyone will have their own advise, personally I would try everything, see what you like best!! Once you find the things you enjoy most, make a workout plan from there. I've done many different types of workouts at gyms, but found that lifting (free weights) was something I love. I did a lot of research online (mostly youtube) and practice for form. Whatever it is, its important you enjoy it!!!!

I think that is GREAT advise. You can ask @quiksylver296 I was terrified to start lifting heavy. Mostly worried I'd hurt myself. But once I started, I couldn't get enough. You definitely have to find what you enjoy and what works for you. Fitness is a very personal thing and everyone is different. Ya just gotta find your thing. :heart:
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    There's tons of things you can do based off what your ultimate fitness goal is. For example, if one of my clients is looking to lose weight, I will gear their program differently than an athlete that is trying to build endurance for a marathon. A free option would be to check out bodybuilding.com. They have several free workouts that you can look into based off of your goal.

If you need help any further help on where to get started or any other questions, feel free to message me.

Why does she need to message you?

Have you ever felt lost with where to start? Would it have been nice to know that someone is willing to help you if you need it or have questions? Wouldn't it be nice to know that someone would like to reach out and be your friend? Instead of being a keyboard warrior and questioning why I would offer to HELP someone, wouldn't it have been better for you to have also been the better person of reaching out and offering assistance to someone just getting started?

As a personal trainer, I love giving help as best as I can, whether they're a client or not. It's called giving back. We all have mutual goals and a desire for support. What better way can those of us that have been through the trenches do other than reach out and help others? I hope that we can come to the agreement that in the end, supporting each other is what is important. If you are not here to help assist others, then what is the intent of your comment?

It's great that you want to help someone. It would be even more helpful to share interactions with the OP in the forum so others with similar situations/questions can learn also.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    There's tons of things you can do based off what your ultimate fitness goal is. For example, if one of my clients is looking to lose weight, I will gear their program differently than an athlete that is trying to build endurance for a marathon. A free option would be to check out bodybuilding.com. They have several free workouts that you can look into based off of your goal.

If you need help any further help on where to get started or any other questions, feel free to message me.

Why does she need to message you?

Have you ever felt lost with where to start? Would it have been nice to know that someone is willing to help you if you need it or have questions? Wouldn't it be nice to know that someone would like to reach out and be your friend? Instead of being a keyboard warrior and questioning why I would offer to HELP someone, wouldn't it have been better for you to have also been the better person of reaching out and offering assistance to someone just getting started?

As a personal trainer, I love giving help as best as I can, whether they're a client or not. It's called giving back. We all have mutual goals and a desire for support. What better way can those of us that have been through the trenches do other than reach out and help others? I hope that we can come to the agreement that in the end, supporting each other is what is important. If you are not here to help assist others, then what is the intent of your comment?

What kind of certifications do you have? Lot's of people call themselves personal trainers yet do not have anything more than the weekend, on line certifications. Also, I agree with others who have said that the "message me" thing kind of sets off alarms regarding someone soliciting for something they are selling which is against the terms of service here.

OP, you have gotten a great link to potential programs and lot's of good possible resources for you to utilize including some offered at PF. Best wishes for your improved fitness!

Agree there are lots of certification programs out there. For my own knowledge I took an ACE personal trainer certification program through the adult ed program at the local junior college. It was a 3 hour class a week for 15 weeks (plus a separate CPR/AED course). The course reading material was 300+ pages of anatomy, etc and 600+ pages of training techniques. After the class I reviewed the materials evenings for a month and passed the test. Can't see how you would get that in a weekend.

If I ever wanted to train someone as a profession I would want to shadow an experienced trainer for a while before being on my own (even though personally I've been exercising for over 40 years) to be comfortable taking money from people to train them

Also be wary of "trainers" at various gyms. I looked the possibly working as a trainer a bit part time. The local PF was posting for trainers and the only requirements were over 18 CPR certification and "a love for fitness". Not even an online/weekend cert was required.