Unusual food that you have recorded on your daily food diary?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    golfchess wrote: »
    I haven't personally logged it, but when you search dog treats a surprising amount of entries pop up. Makes me wonder

@youcantflexcardio A lot of dog biscuits are just cookies without sugar.

If there were chicken/beef flavored cookies, maybe.
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @annpt77 I dated a woman that used to make dog biscuits for her pet. The biscuits and cookies are very similar.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet because I don't know where to get it in my area, but I really want to try black sapote (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diospyros_nigra). It's a fruit that supposedly tastes like chocolate pudding. I also plan on buying some cricket flour. It's high in protein and B12.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    . . . which reminds me that I logged mamey sapote (Pouteria sapota), an entirely different thing from black sapote. I liked the mamey a lot, but I haven't seen it since. The black sapote sounds great: I'll keep my eyes open.

No cricket flour, though: Saved by vegetarianism again. ;)
  • laurenq1991
    edited December 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    . . . which reminds me that I logged mamey sapote (Pouteria sapota), an entirely different thing from black sapote. I liked the mamey a lot, but I haven't seen it since. The black sapote sounds great: I'll keep my eyes open.

You can order the black sapote online to be shipped from south Florida where it's grown (and it's in season right now) but it's ridiculously expensive and I'm not sure how fruit would hold up in the mail. It says online that black sapote trees have a high fruit yield and can grow in many types of soil, so I wonder why it hasn't become a more widespread fruit if it really does taste like pudding. Maybe if people find out about it, it will become the new trendy food, LOL. It would be cool to go to south Florida and try a bunch of weird tropical fruits. I live in the NYC area though so it has to be available somewhere around here.

I'm pescetarian and crickets are arthropods like crustaceans so I guess they count as pescetarian despite being a land animal, but I want to try cricket because it's a low environmental impact source of animal protein and other nutrients. And farmed crickets don't have the mercury and microplastic issues that ocean animals have.

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You can order the black sapote online to be shipped from south Florida where it's grown (and it's in season right now) but it's ridiculously expensive and I'm not sure how fruit would hold up in the mail. It says online that black sapote trees have a high fruit yield and can grow in many types of soil, so I wonder why it hasn't become a more widespread fruit if it really does taste like pudding. Maybe if people find out about it, it will become the new trendy food, LOL. It would be cool to go to south Florida and try a bunch of weird tropical fruits.

I'm pescetarian and crickets are arthropods like crustaceans so I guess they count as pescetarian despite being a land animal, but I want to try cricket because it's a low environmental impact source of animal protein and other nutrients.

If you are in the NY vicinity - a few of the Asian supermarkets carry black sapote!

Would love to know how you like the cricket powder!

• laurenq1991
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    If you are in the NY vicinity - a few of the Asian supermarkets carry black sapote!

Would love to know how you like the cricket powder!

Really? I definitely will have to look around and I hope it isn't too expensive.

I will let you know! I don't think cricket powder is supposed to really taste like anything by itself but you can bake with it or put it in a smoothie or something.

• M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen pasta made with cricket flour in the supermarket.
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    M0n1KCR wrote: »
    I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen pasta made with cricket flour in the supermarket.

Googling! How cool would that be! I foresee a dinner party in the making .

• M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options

kmyjr1narvx4.jpg

Apparently they also have cricket energy bars... so your dinner party can be complete ;)
  • Safari_Gal
    Options

kmyjr1narvx4.jpg

Apparently they also have cricket energy bars... so your dinner party can be complete ;)

Yes!!! Lol 🙌🏻😉
  • atheistred89
    atheistred89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Mostly German sweets/various products. Sometimes I have to create a food as it's not listed.
  • BaguetteChaude
    BaguetteChaude Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    As christmas was around the corner I finally got to eat some delicious snails, didn't have to create an entry though
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Zamphyr (sea asparagus)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Haggus and scotch eggs
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Camel meat, and I regretted it because it still tasted meaty. It was less vile than beef and surprisingly very lean and not gamey. I logged about 1/4 of a burger.

I just don't like meat in general, but I'm always open to trying. Explains the dozens of times I gave steak another try whenever someone told me it was "the best steak in town". I gave up on that eventually, but if there is a meat that doesn't taste like meat, I'm still willing to give it a try.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. For the first time since I have been logging I had chittlings (chitterlings) this NYE. It is no so strange, depending where you are from. I was curious to see if they were in the database and they were. I did not check the accuracy, because I did not weigh the amount that I ate anyway.
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @OhMsDiva I have yet to find any food missing from the data base.
  • Nayomi_Harrison
    Nayomi_Harrison Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A bit of man sauce 😂😂😂🙄
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Weirdest thing I ever ate was possum in Australia. I found a USDA entry right at the bottom of the list past a lot of cafes and burger joints called Possums and some homemade Possum pies. At 168 calories per 100g it's quite high calorie. Probably why they only served it in tiny portions.