This January I Will...

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,719 Member
    I’m glad you like the Posture Makeover app @themedalist . I’ve been doing great with getting the posture exercises each day. They are short, and doing them right after yoga works well.

@prgirl39mfp , yay for pre-logging and meal prep! I’ve found both of those to be really helpful on work days.

@jroslyn , logging it all is almost magical, glad you are finding it helpful.
  • 77tes
    MZSTEF4U wrote: »
    This January I will...

Log every bite I eat into MFP.
    Move every day.
    Weight train 3 days a week.
    Stop letting the scale define me.
    Complete every weekly task I put in my Reminder Binder.
    Love myself more.
    Drink water in the AM so as not to disturb my sleep.
    Make time for myself.

@MZSTEF4U, This sounds like a great list. I particularly like “Stop letting the scale define me. Love myself more. Make time for myself.” Those are going to help you accomplish the rest. :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    Jan 20 Update: SUCCESS!

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal.
    * 🌈Keep appealing groceries in the house
    * 🌈Always have precooked lean meats available
    * Pre-measure 🌈nuts,🌈fruit-only jam, ✅Kashi cereal, & 🌈peanut butter in 1/2 &/or 1 oz. servings
    * ✅Always have appealing pre-washed/cut veggies & salad greens prepared.
    * 🌈Replenish tea selection DONE
    * 🌈Do pantry & fridge clean out (neither are bad, but for fresh start feeling!)DONE
    * 🌈Remind myself that I had headaches, some tummy pain, queasiness, was more tired, and my mood was less positive...

Do This For YOU! Focus on Health& a happy life ❣

Jan 1✅
    Jan 2✅ (pre-planned eating out)
    Jan 3❌ moderate, but Salty & high fat
    Jan 4 ❌High fat, high sodium, high sugar: felt awful afterwards.
    Jan 5❌but smaller portions, no dessert, and better choices.
    Jan 6 Ate Out but wisely
    Jan 7 Ate Out but wisely
    Jan 8 ate out unwisely & it triggered sugar cravings - sad to say for the first time in 14 months I totally succumbed.

I noticed I tend to eat more each time my weight drops down into the 153.x’s.

Was beating myself up, but stopped. I’m still down 73lbs, healthy, and walking faster than I have in a long, long time. I WILL figure this out.

STILL Optimistic going forwards. I forgot how much sodium is in the food & I feel queasy. I feel confident I can stop eating out now because of those two.

Jan 20: Have not eaten out since Jan 12.
    Lost weight suddenly, then more, then more...

I’m 0.6 lbs from Goal. The only thing that changed (aside from all the habits above): I’m not eating anything I don’t know exact calorie/nutrient data. So not eating out.

It was time to get this done.

TY @themedalist & all of you. This particular challenge reminded me of the little things I had to do to get back on track!
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Update: Its been a busy month so far, and many late nights have reinforced my desire to reach the goal of an early, consistent bedtime. I have finally accomplished it three nights in a row! I've been setting little time goals at night to see how quickly I can get my tasks done. This helps a lot. Hopefully I can continue as the week gets busier.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    Jan 20 Update: SUCCESS!

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal.
    * 🌈Keep appealing groceries in the house
    * 🌈Always have precooked lean meats available
    * Pre-measure 🌈nuts,🌈fruit-only jam, ✅Kashi cereal, & 🌈peanut butter in 1/2 &/or 1 oz. servings
    * ✅Always have appealing pre-washed/cut veggies & salad greens prepared.
    * 🌈Replenish tea selection DONE
    * 🌈Do pantry & fridge clean out (neither are bad, but for fresh start feeling!)DONE
    * 🌈Remind myself that I had headaches, some tummy pain, queasiness, was more tired, and my mood was less positive...

Do This For YOU! Focus on Health& a happy life ❣

Jan 1✅
    Jan 2✅ (pre-planned eating out)
    Jan 3❌ moderate, but Salty & high fat
    Jan 4 ❌High fat, high sodium, high sugar: felt awful afterwards.
    Jan 5❌but smaller portions, no dessert, and better choices.
    Jan 6 Ate Out but wisely
    Jan 7 Ate Out but wisely
    Jan 8 ate out unwisely & it triggered sugar cravings - sad to say for the first time in 14 months I totally succumbed.

I noticed I tend to eat more each time my weight drops down into the 153.x’s.

Was beating myself up, but stopped. I’m still down 73lbs, healthy, and walking faster than I have in a long, long time. I WILL figure this out.

STILL Optimistic going forwards. I forgot how much sodium is in the food & I feel queasy. I feel confident I can stop eating out now because of those two.

Jan 20: Have not eaten out since Jan 12.
    Lost weight suddenly, then more, then more...

I’m 0.6 lbs from Goal. The only thing that changed (aside from all the habits above): I’m not eating anything I don’t know exact calorie/nutrient data. So not eating out.

It was time to get this done.

TY @themedalist & all of you. This particular challenge reminded me of the little things I had to do to get back on track!

0.6 pounds away from goal? You are doing great, @MadisonMolly2017! I hear you on the eating out. I had French fries from a restaurant recently and I felt lousy afterwards. Not guilt ridden, physically ill. You never know with restaurant meals. I’m glad you’re not beating yourself up. It’s counterproductive and from these experiences you know that sodium is hard on you. Now you move forward.
  • themedalist
    Update: Its been a busy month so far, and many late nights have reinforced my desire to reach the goal of an early, consistent bedtime. I have finally accomplished it three nights in a row! I've been setting little time goals at night to see how quickly I can get my tasks done. This helps a lot. Hopefully I can continue as the week gets busier.

This is wonderful to hear, @littlebear0121! Three nights in a row is terrific! Do you feel noticeably better after getting a good night’s sleep?

Good for you. I’m happy for you!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,327 Member
    @PackerFanInGB, your statement:

“I'm also working on talking nicer to myself and not beating myself up so much. I am so much nicer to everyone around me than I ever am to myself. Maybe this will be February's goal, but for now I'm trying to catch myself. I have no room for so much negativity in my life!!!!

Tracie
    Word for 2019: tenacity”

struck me. Not beating yourself up so much and being as nice and compassionate to yourself as you are to others is a WONDERFUL goal for this year! And tenacity is a great word for 2019!

[/fquote]

@PackerFanInGB
    I’ve been actively working on this, too. I had one really bad few hours where I was saying stuff that in hindsight was pretty horrible...you’re not pretty, you’re not as smart as you used to be, etc... it’s rare for me, but I figured out the triggers & began rebutting myself. Yes, you are! Look at that smile! Remember the time you figured out this or that... and moved back to my usual happy self. Happens about once a month- generally when I’m bummed by uptick on scale.

The self-talk works!

Thank you @themedalist and @MadisonMolly2017 ! I'm really struggling with this. I think maybe I need to start a journal keeping track of the negative thoughts and what is happening at the time I think them.

My official goal for January is to work up to 90 oz of water a day. So far this month I've only hit it twice, but it has been in the last week both times. So hopefully I'll be doing it consistently in the next week or so! :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    So far so good, except with the past two day I have been so busy and too tired to log. Thanks for the support and kind words. I will keep on going.
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    @themedalist, thanks for the encouragement! Yes, I do feel better. Going to bed on time has the following benefits: I am able to ward off late-night snacking, my morning workout is better because it is done before my kids wake up (no interruptions), and I usually get enough sleep. I feel rushed and behind all day if I don't get a good workout in before the kids wake up (maybe I need to change my thinking there.)
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    I just joined change in seconds healthy living program to keep me accountable.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,645 Member
    I just joined change in seconds healthy living program to keep me accountable.
    Hi! What is the change in seconds healthy living program? Sounds interesting.
  • jroslyn
    jroslyn Posts: 34 Member
    My last Sunday check-in for January, with less than a week remaining in the month. I’ve kept to my goal so far and have logged all my food every day! Hooray!
  • themedalist
    jroslyn wrote: »
    My last Sunday check-in for January, with less than a week remaining in the month. I’ve kept to my goal so far and have logged all my food every day! Hooray!

@jroslyn, this is fantastic to hear!! To have logged all your meals accurately this month is a huge accomplishment! You must be feeling GREAT!
  • 77tes
    Calling my January a success. I’ve done my posture exercises every day this month (as well as my daily yoga) - only 3 more days to perfect.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,327 Member
    My goal was to work up to 90 oz of water a day. I have only successfully reached that amount twice, but I have increased my water intake. So I plan to hit 90 oz every day the rest of this week and be successful at reaching my goal. ;)
  • themedalist
    I haven't been terribly successful at meeting my goal this month which is to work on my posture. I do love the posture app @77tes suggested, but I've been sporadic in using it. I know I've had more going on than I usually do and that's a part of it.

So I'm going to continue this goal int February. It just needs more focus and attention.
  • jroslyn
    jroslyn Posts: 34 Member
    @themedalist—I’m sorry you don’t feel terrifically successful about your goal for this month, but it’s helpful to me as a newbie to see your example of a thoughtful self-assessment and recommitment to a goal. Thank you for that.
  • themedalist
    jroslyn wrote: »
    @themedalist—I’m sorry you don’t feel terrifically successful about your goal for this month, but it’s helpful to me as a newbie to see your example of a thoughtful self-assessment and recommitment to a goal. Thank you for that.

Thanks, @jroslyn. The thing that I've learned about habits is that they're all about repetition. You've got to do them for them to become automatic and part of your daily routine. Am I willing to invest 10 to 15 minutes a day to improve my posture? Yes I am. With it now tied to something I do everyday (writing in my gratitude journal) I think I'll be more successful in following through.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    @themedalist
    Yes, you have been busy. Your insights are spot on - as usual!
    I have been using proper posture with ribs in & down and lats down & toward spine, shoulders lowered when I do my walks!! Ali kegels (so?) And tightening stomach & butt at other times. Might as well kill 2-4 birds with one stone (omg that is a terrible saying! 😳 but you get the idea! LoL
  • 77tes
    Final January review:
    77tes wrote: »
    1. This January I will do the Posture Makeover exercises.
    2. The small actions opening the app after I do my yoga practice
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - finish yoga
    4. How often will you do your new habit Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Fist pump and Star in my diary
    6. What help do you need from us? That thing you do so well - keeping me accountable and cheering me on
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? I'll have better posture, be more mindful of how I'm sittting and standing, and have fewer headaches (wouldn't that be great!).

I did do the 30 days of Posture exercises and started them again on January 31 (after all, February is a short month). The cue of doing them following my yoga practice was perfect and I'm even adding another small set of exercises to this strong habit.

I am much more mindful of bad posture and am also noticing HOW MUCH posture is referred to in all my exercise videos and classes. I notice when I walk with my hands swinging across my body instead of front to back and that lets me know that I am hunching my shoulders instead of widening across my chest. I am also much more aware of when I'm kinking my neck. I had no headaches this month, and although that may have been coincidence, I'll attribute it to being aware of tension through my shoulders and knowing how to release it.

As these habits are building one on another - I thought I would review the last few months.

Sept and October - daily Yoga - This habit is now an anchor for others! o:)
    Nov - prioritizing essay grading - I did NOT fall behind grading essays for my winter session classes :)
    Dec - sew more regularly - I'm going to have revisit this one :(
    January - Daily posture exercise :)

To February and beyond! :)