Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

food database not working

pughkat30pughkat30 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
the food database is not working on my phone app or online
«1

Replies

  • Alpha12Alpha12 Posts: 250Member Member Posts: 250Member Member
    Not working for me either.
  • pattcollins178pattcollins178 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Has not worked for me for the past couple of days. Has anyone heard about an effort to fix it? The bar code scanner still works. Recent food list still works.
  • MileHigh4WheelerMileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67Member, Premium Member Posts: 67Member, Premium Member
    Just stopped working for me today. I'm guessing it's system wide and they are likely aware of it. Considering how much data is stored in that database it requires maintenance and can probably corrupt from time to time. Fortunately I already planned my meals out for the week so my only gripe is that I cannot tweak little things as the day progresses but I'll live with my 1st world problem :smile: .
  • zeejane03zeejane03 Posts: 993Member Member Posts: 993Member Member
    Has not worked for me for the past couple of days. Has anyone heard about an effort to fix it? The bar code scanner still works. Recent food list still works.

    Yep, recent food list working for me and I can search for foods/see them, but I cannot add them to my food diary. Frustrating-need to write stuff down so I don't forget what I ate :p
  • misterchetmisterchet Posts: 7Member, Premium Member Posts: 7Member, Premium Member
    I'm new here, but the forum complaints make pretty clear this is an annual event.

    Candidly, there's no good excuse for a very, very predictable load spike to produce unusable features two years in a row. I mean, come ON.

    If I wanted to log calories on paper, I wouldn't be paying for MFP.
  • 2_FitNFab2_FitNFab Posts: 162Member Member Posts: 162Member Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Has not worked for me for the past couple of days. Has anyone heard about an effort to fix it? The bar code scanner still works. Recent food list still works.

    Yep, recent food list working for me and I can search for foods/see them, but I cannot add them to my food diary. Frustrating-need to write stuff down so I don't forget what I ate :p

    Same thing is happening on my food diary.
  • SaraKim17SaraKim17 Posts: 799Member Member Posts: 799Member Member
    Same here, but I'm also not seeing my feed. It's just hanging :/
    edited January 8
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 3,271Member Member Posts: 3,271Member Member
    misterchet wrote: »
    I'm new here, but the forum complaints make pretty clear this is an annual event.

    Candidly, there's no good excuse for a very, very predictable load spike to produce unusable features two years in a row. I mean, come ON.

    If I wanted to log calories on paper, I wouldn't be paying for MFP.

    Those of us who have been around for awhile are accustomed to various technical problems from time to time. They are annoying, to be sure. However, for most of us, it is a free service and we are free to use another site anytime, yet we stay. If you know of a better free site we can all use with such a comprehensive database, we're listening... ;)
    edited January 8
  • joselynschutzjoselynschutz Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    Mine was working 2 hours ago when this thread began, but now it's having the same problem you're describing. That makes no sense, but it's true. Ridiculous.
  • misterchetmisterchet Posts: 7Member, Premium Member Posts: 7Member, Premium Member
    I pay for premium. Regardless, "it's free" is not an excuse for poor capacity planning. My gym has extra towels & etc out in January because they know more people come. It's not like MFP didn't know there was a spike coming, and it's not like infrastructure has to be set in stone anymore -- they're on AWS.

    (And yeah, intermittent failure is exactly what happens when capacity is at issue, like it is here, so it makes perfect sense.)
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 3,271Member Member Posts: 3,271Member Member
    misterchet wrote: »
    I pay for premium. Regardless, "it's free" is not an excuse for poor capacity planning. My gym has extra towels & etc out in January because they know more people come. It's not like MFP didn't know there was a spike coming, and it's not like infrastructure has to be set in stone anymore -- they're on AWS.

    (And yeah, intermittent failure is exactly what happens when capacity is at issue, like it is here, so it makes perfect sense.)

    So, that better site is...?
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Posts: 20,811Member Member Posts: 20,811Member Member
    misterchet wrote: »
    I pay for premium. Regardless, "it's free" is not an excuse for poor capacity planning. My gym has extra towels & etc out in January because they know more people come. It's not like MFP didn't know there was a spike coming, and it's not like infrastructure has to be set in stone anymore -- they're on AWS.

    (And yeah, intermittent failure is exactly what happens when capacity is at issue, like it is here, so it makes perfect sense.)

    Your gym isn't letting people in for free (presumably), so I'm unsure why you think that somehow undercuts the "It's free" response.

    MFP is offering a free product that depends on consistent user engagement to justify supporting it. If they wish to undercut themselves at a high volume time of year and potentially discourage or alienate users, they're free to do so. Those of us who are seriously bothered will either quit logging or move to other logging sites. Nobody is forcing us to log here.

    (Obviously, people who are paying may have a legitimate case to make for pro-rated days or whatever with MFP customer service. I have no idea what the specifics of their user agreements may entitle them to when there are outages).
  • misterchetmisterchet Posts: 7Member, Premium Member Posts: 7Member, Premium Member
    So, that better site is...?

    Today? Literally anything else, including pen and paper, because there effectively is no food database.
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 3,271Member Member Posts: 3,271Member Member
    misterchet wrote: »
    So, that better site is...?

    Today? Literally anything else, including pen and paper, because there effectively is no food database.

    This brings up a good point... those of us who have been at this a while have built up our personal database of most recent foods that have been unaffected by the server problems. I haven't had any issues today because all of the foods I normally eat are right there in my recent foods. Those starting out new, or who start & quit a lot, are disproportionately affected. Not saying that's OK, but maybe it's good incentive to hang in there :)
  • poisonessepoisonesse Posts: 196Member Member Posts: 196Member Member
    I've been here every day for the past 400+, and the data base not working is a PITA, plain and simple. I also can't log my weight for the past two days! RIDICULOUS! The only reason I hang here is the people, I've made some great buddies and I wouldn't just walk out on them. But MFP (and MMW and MMF) are glitchy, so badly so for the past 6 months that no WAY I'd pay for this site!
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 3,271Member Member Posts: 3,271Member Member
    poisonesse wrote: »
    I've been here every day for the past 400+, and the data base not working is a PITA, plain and simple. I also can't log my weight for the past two days! RIDICULOUS! The only reason I hang here is the people, I've made some great buddies and I wouldn't just walk out on them. But MFP (and MMW and MMF) are glitchy, so badly so for the past 6 months that no WAY I'd pay for this site!

    I'm thinking the website may be less glitchy than the phone app right now. I've been able to do everything I normally do, it just sometimes takes a couple of tries when looking up a new food item. I don't know what else would explain it... I'm certainly not special (and don't have premium).
  • poisonessepoisonesse Posts: 196Member Member Posts: 196Member Member
    @try2again not for me, I only use the phone app to upload pics, I do everything else on the computer app. And like I said, can't update my weight, can't select food from the data base, and today it logged my walk 3 times on me, had to go back and remove the extras.
    edited January 8
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 3,271Member Member Posts: 3,271Member Member
    poisonesse wrote: »
    @try2again not for me, I only use the phone app to upload pics, I do everything else on the computer app. And like I said, can't update my weight, can't select food from the data base, and today it logged my walk 3 times on me, had to go back and remove the extras.

    Strange that our experiences would be so different. At any rate, MFP posted an update that supposedly the issues have been resolved (until the next thing comes along ;) )

    Edited to add: An app or the actual website? I use the actual website.
    edited January 8
  • medusa122medusa122 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    It hasn't resolved yet for me on the actual site.
Sign In or Register to comment.