Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

food database not working

2»

Replies

• floshideawayfloshideaway Posts: 101Member Member Posts: 101Member Member
    not working for me on the website. Logging everything on the app but it is not syncing with the web
  • ritzvinritzvin Posts: 2,240Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,240Member, Premium Member
    misterchet wrote: »
    I pay for premium. Regardless, "it's free" is not an excuse for poor capacity planning. My gym has extra towels & etc out in January because they know more people come. It's not like MFP didn't know there was a spike coming, and it's not like infrastructure has to be set in stone anymore -- they're on AWS.

(And yeah, intermittent failure is exactly what happens when capacity is at issue, like it is here, so it makes perfect sense.)

Your gym isn't letting people in for free (presumably), so I'm unsure why you think that somehow undercuts the "It's free" response.

And there's also a big difference putting out more towels and investing in extra squat racks/treadmills/etc or hiring more staff for the January-only crowd. I would think buying more servers/contracting to rent more server space/bandwidth/hiring extra IT people is somewhat closer to the latter than temporarily sending the existing cleaning staff on an extra laundry service trip.
  • ritzvinritzvin Posts: 2,240Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,240Member, Premium Member
    try2again wrote: »
    So, that better site is...?

Today? Literally anything else, including pen and paper, because there effectively is no food database.

This brings up a good point... those of us who have been at this a while have built up our personal database of most recent foods that have been unaffected by the server problems. I haven't had any issues today because all of the foods I normally eat are right there in my recent foods. Those starting out new, or who start & quit a lot, are disproportionately affected. Not saying that's OK, but maybe it's good incentive to hang in there :)

true...It took me a while to get my last soup recipe in (a long wait on adding each ingredient). But everything else has been fine.
  • joselynschutzjoselynschutz Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    try2again wrote: »
    This brings up a good point... those of us who have been at this a while have built up our personal database of most recent foods that have been unaffected by the server problems. I haven't had any issues today because all of the foods I normally eat are right there in my recent foods. Those starting out new, or who start & quit a lot, are disproportionately affected. Not saying that's OK, but maybe it's good incentive to hang in there :)

I've been here consistently a while, but I ALWAYS eat new foods, and my personal database is stupid hard to search since you have to scroll through page after page instead of there being a search function.

As far as a better site, cronometer is far better. I'm here only b/c MFP connects to my dietitians app.

I use the desktop version, and I'm unable to use the MFP database today.

• Silo15Silo15 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    I am having the same problem. Can enter food into diary by pretending something is a new food, enter known details, MFP says i already have that, click on it and enter. It works.
  • sandymamaw1sandymamaw1 Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    My food list, home page loading has not work for me for 3 days. Have to go to phone app to enter food. Is this in the norm for this site to do this. Just started few days ago.
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 2,949Member Member Posts: 2,949Member Member
    My food list, home page loading has not work for me for 3 days. Have to go to phone app to enter food. Is this in the norm for this site to do this. Just started few days ago.

It's probably part of the same broad issue- the influx of January resolutioners putting more demand on the servers than they have the capacity for. Things will probably be back to normal in a few weeks. That being said, MFP usually has some kind of issue or glitch going on. You can find info and updates here:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/?
    edited January 9
  • cjwo20cjwo20 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Guess it's going to be like the government shut down. Still no progress of a fix as of this morning that I can see.
  • dotrendotren Posts: 26Member, Premium Member Posts: 26Member, Premium Member
    Still a problem.
    Also, the previous issues were short term, this has been going on for several days, which is unusual.

You and a kazillion other folks (behold January) - hence the (temporary) server issues. It should get better over the next week or 2 (ETA: like the gym).
    edited January 9
  • poisonessepoisonesse Posts: 133Member Member Posts: 133Member Member
    @try2again I use the actual website for most things, logging food/exercise, posting and "liking" posts from my friends feeds, updating weight/measurements and I only use the mobile app to upload pics to my feed. And no, the site isn't fixed yet, I still can't update my weight or use the database to add food. I can use my own list of frequents foods, that's how I've managed to log so far. And I did discover an hour or two ago that I can log my weight from the mobile app, but not from the website. Actually, today it's worse. I uploaded a SS of my hike, which shows up fine on the mobile app, but on the website it only shows my post, no pic included. YESTERDAY my pics were going through on both. So no, Under Armour hasn't fixed a thing. BUT... they're sending out "40% off" coupons on their gear left and right. Maybe if they spent as much time fixing their apps as they do trying to sell their gear, we'd have a site worth paying for! Just a thought...
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 2,949Member Member Posts: 2,949Member Member
    poisonesse wrote: »
    @try2again I use the actual website for most things, logging food/exercise, posting and "liking" posts from my friends feeds, updating weight/measurements and I only use the mobile app to upload pics to my feed. And no, the site isn't fixed yet, I still can't update my weight or use the database to add food. I can use my own list of frequents foods, that's how I've managed to log so far. And I did discover an hour or two ago that I can log my weight from the mobile app, but not from the website. Actually, today it's worse. I uploaded a SS of my hike, which shows up fine on the mobile app, but on the website it only shows my post, no pic included. YESTERDAY my pics were going through on both. So no, Under Armour hasn't fixed a thing. BUT... they're sending out "40% off" coupons on their gear left and right. Maybe if they spent as much time fixing their apps as they do trying to sell their gear, we'd have a site worth paying for! Just a thought...

You really don't need to respond to me about this- I actually don't work for MFP. ;) I've been sharing links and what little info I have in an attempt to be helpful to people and encourage patience. I'm sorry mine is working fine and yours isn't :)
  • misterchetmisterchet Posts: 7Member, Premium Member Posts: 7Member, Premium Member
    I would think buying more servers/contracting to rent more server space/bandwidth/hiring extra IT people is somewhat closer to the latter than temporarily sending the existing cleaning staff on an extra laundry service trip.

You'd be wrong, because here in the 21st century you can pay for scaling infrastructure on an on-demand basis. They don't have to BUY the extra squat racks, to use your metaphor. They can just configure their provisioning at Amazon Web Services & etc to expand as needed.

They've chosen not to do that.
  • mary55mary55 Posts: 21Member Member Posts: 21Member Member
    It's January 14, and I can't long any food. It seems the database is not working...
    I was able to log in some foods but only from my favorites or recent list. When I search the database the food comes up but does not let me add it.
    edited January 14
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Posts: 19,737Member Member Posts: 19,737Member Member
    I would think buying more servers/contracting to rent more server space/bandwidth/hiring extra IT people is somewhat closer to the latter than temporarily sending the existing cleaning staff on an extra laundry service trip.

You'd be wrong, because here in the 21st century you can pay for scaling infrastructure on an on-demand basis. They don't have to BUY the extra squat racks, to use your metaphor. They can just configure their provisioning at Amazon Web Services & etc to expand as needed.

They've chosen not to do that.

And that's their choice to make. My guess is that they've run the numbers and have figured that the drop-off in users is something that will have less of an impact on their bottom line than the cost of temporary expansion. Or they haven't run the numbers and they're just guessing.

But either way, it's their choice to run their business in a way that either doesn't make sense or doesn't make sense to us given the limited information that we have.

I get the frustration, I really do. But this is a free service that we're able to leave at any time. We're not entitled to have them run it in the exact same way that we would.
  • winonajosephinewinonajosephine Posts: 123Member, Premium Member Posts: 123Member, Premium Member
    I'm having problems with the website on my desktop but it works fine on my phone app. This started yesterday mid-morning for me and has continued on to this morning :neutral: I paid for premium for the year so that I can get my food to my nutritionist.
    I'm having problems with the website on my desktop but it works fine on my phone app. This started yesterday mid-morning for me and has continued on to this morning :neutral: I paid for premium for the year so that I can get my food to my nutritionist.

I'm having the same problems, since yesterday mid morning. I haven't tried it with my phone app or ipad. I use my computer and the database does not let me add the food to my food diary. I started another thread about this, just a few minutes ago, because I couldn't find this one (didn't realize that I had to scroll 4-5 pages to find it).
2»