60 yrs and up

Replies

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @momzilla11 It's always fun to discover new activities and interests you can do when your physical limitations have decreased because of your healthier lifestyle, isn't it?
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,257 Member
    edited December 2022
    @Pdc654 - fantastic result 👏 what a wonderful milestone to reach before year-end. You must find it so much easier to do most things, like on/off buses, up/down stairs, in/out of booths and chairs, negotiating crowded rooms, etc - all things this cruise has reminded me of!
    @Jthanmyfitnesspal , the above are all non-specific weight goals of mine 😉 - I am better than where I started but a long ways to go. Feeling very optimistic about 2023!

Seems like I picked a great year to escape to the tropics for Christmas, and indeed lucky to have left before the chaos began. It sounds really awful, especially for those stuck in transit with no bed to sleep in and an uncertain timeline for getting anywhere, even back home.

Beautiful day at sea today, 84F/29C with a nice breeze, headed for San Juan, PR for tomorrow. There is an 11pm Christmas eve service tonight on board, so looking forward to that.

Averaging around 2500 calories a day, hoping my activity offsets to at least keep me at maintenance. Most days quite busy but today very relaxing, just reading, lounging and listening to music.

Thinking of you all in the cold and definitely praying you keep power and your love ones are safe to come visit.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @BCLadybug888. Thank you, and you are so right, it is so much easier doing so many things. It's easier to move in general. I used to wake up every morning with lower back pain that gave me trouble just walking around. Getting up off the floor, seatbelts, and all the things you have mentioned are much easier now. I feel so much better, and have more stamina.

So glad your cruise is going well and you have good weather. You are lucky to have left before this weather hit. It has effected so many people.

Wishing everyone very Happy Holidays and a fantastic year in 2023!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Everyone enjoying the holiday? Or hiding out, haha? Or freezing, roasting, or flooded out depending on where you live? Hoping all is well with everyone! I managed to eat a normal sized meal on Christmas day, only one dessert and one glass of wine. The menu included wild salmon and a caribou roast. Not our usual holiday dinner but was delicious! And lucky me, the dinner was at another's home so no leftovers to tempt me. Took all my cookies to work and coworkers demolished them. Need to get back onto exercise routine, despite slippery ice and freezing cold winds where I live. Love my old Nordic Track for days like this. Happy New Year to all!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Happy New Year to all! Looking forward to getting back on program of eating right and exercise. I have to admit , taking a few day break from “dieting” really feels great!
  • aubsgg
    aubsgg Posts: 301 Member
    Hi, my name is Marilyn, I'm 67. I've been on MFP for apparently 9 years, though I probably haven't been on here for 5 years other than a few short forays into logging food.

I've been setting goals this week for next year inlcuding health goals. I like to stay focused on health improvement than weight loss, however the most readily available tools to measure progress is the scale and the measuring tape. My goal most years is to lose 20 lbs, this year I gained 2. I have twice in my life gotten to an acceptable (to me) weight. It took me 3 years to lose 50 lbs. while I can set goals to lose between 3-5 lbs a month, I never go better than 2 lbs a mont (average- I do occassionally do 3). I've never been able to maintain (even close to) goal weight.

I start off gang busters with logging food and eating healthier and then for no reason completely forget to continue. It isn't that I flub and give up, I just forget. I'm also really good at logging breakfast and lunch, not so much for dinner. I think dinner has too many variations and is made from real food so no label to log, and it is in the evening and seems like too much trouble to get on the computer.

Enough (probably more than) for now. Looking forward to a successful new year.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited December 2022
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Why? Statistics, plus a lot of people on MFP, say that maintaining that healthy weight can be quite difficult after losing. Some people say it's harder than the loss! (I'm not sure I agree . . . .)
    I used to be completely in the camp of "maintenance is harder than losing", because I was utterly miserable while losing weight and the idea of having to maintain that until I snuff it was worse than death. I no longer think that now. The main reason is that I learned to eat in a way that kept extreme hunger, pain, nausea and vomiting at bay. I reduced hunger to tolerable levels and while I realise that it is very unlikely to ever really go away (although I am occasionally experiencing something close to that, even if it is only for a minute or two, so there is still some hope), it is far better than the alternative and therefore not difficult to maintain.

Another factor was that I stopped buying cheese and nuts altogether. That quite unexpectedly reduced food-related stress to zero and gave me "food serenity". The reason I came to that decision was a series of experiments I did in the beginning of 2022: I ate cheese until "full and satisfied". It was wonderful. For the very first time since I can remember, I was not hungry, and lost all interest in food for about three/four hours. It was as close to heaven as I could imagine. The unfortunate part was that I needed to ingest about 3 times the daily energy I needed to maintain weight. That would ultimately result in an intake of well over 10thousand calories a day.

With nuts, I was able to reach the fullness stage, but never the satisfied stage: I was uncomfortably full and still ravenously hungry. As a result, I banned both from my life. It was surprisingly easy and I am no longer really tempted when I see them in a store. In the beginning, I still had a look at the cheese and nuts aisles, but I don't even think about it anymore now, unless I happen to pass through them and even then, I give them a cursory look at the most.

As a consequence, I no longer think maintenance is all that hard. Once I have reached my "ideal weight", whatever that is, it'll be merely a matter of adding in a few extra calories. I expect that to happen within the first quarter of 2023, but time will tell.
  • grandmajojo421
    grandmajojo421 Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2022
    Hi. My name is Fran. I am not new to MFP. I have been a member for a number of years. I have lost weight on this program and know that it works. I was doing well until Covid. Then I didn't. I have never before posted in any of the groups. Since I am over 70 I thought I may start with this group. I'm a little confused as to the order. Seems to me all the current comments are at the end as opposed to the beginning. Anyway I am back on my health management program and thought I might add commenting to the program for more support. Anyone that can help clarify the comment areas for me would be most appreciated.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Hi. My name is Fran. I am not new to MFP. I have been a member for a number of years. I have lost weight on this program and know that it works. I was doing well until Covid. Then I didn't. I have never before posted in any of the groups. Since I am over 70 I thought I may start with this group. I'm a little confused as to the order. Seems to me all the current comments are at the end as opposed to the beginning. Anyway I am back on my health management program and thought I might add commenting to the program for more support. Anyone that can help clarify the comment areas for me would be most appreciated.
    You are right. The most recent comment is the last one. The first one is the oldest. That is the way things used to be done. MFP has simply not adapted to the newer style of putting the most recent comment on top and the oldest comment at the bottom.
    Success on your journey.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,828 Member
    aubsgg wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Marilyn, I'm 67. I've been on MFP for apparently 9 years, though I probably haven't been on here for 5 years other than a few short forays into logging food.

I've been setting goals this week for next year inlcuding health goals. I like to stay focused on health improvement than weight loss, however the most readily available tools to measure progress is the scale and the measuring tape. My goal most years is to lose 20 lbs, this year I gained 2. I have twice in my life gotten to an acceptable (to me) weight. It took me 3 years to lose 50 lbs. while I can set goals to lose between 3-5 lbs a month, I never go better than 2 lbs a mont (average- I do occassionally do 3). I've never been able to maintain (even close to) goal weight.

I start off gang busters with logging food and eating healthier and then for no reason completely forget to continue. It isn't that I flub and give up, I just forget. I'm also really good at logging breakfast and lunch, not so much for dinner. I think dinner has too many variations and is made from real food so no label to log, and it is in the evening and seems like too much trouble to get on the computer.

Enough (probably more than) for now. Looking forward to a successful new year.

Hello!! Health goals are exactly what we should be aiming for 🙂 but weight and inches aren't the only ways to measure progress. Lifting more weight or doing more reps while strength straining is one. Getting further into a yoga pose is another. Feeling less out of breath after running up a flight of stairs feels great. Squeezing between two shopping carts at the grocery store can be euphoric. Etc, etc. These are all called Non-Scale Victories (NSV) and are tangible confirmations that you're on the right track but don't involve the scale.

Also, I don't know if this would help you but......I usually decide what I'll be eating for the day while having my morning coffee. I log b/l/d and snacks and then the basics are there. I can change it if required, but I have a pretty good idea how the day will unfold. I also find using the MFP app on my phone more convenient than using my laptop.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,257 Member
    edited December 2022
    Welcome @aubsgg Fran, & @grandmajojo421 Marilyn!
    Glad you found our little corner of MFP.

Marilyn - like you, I do not have a good track record at maintaining anything like a decent goal weight. And I also forget my new habits easily, no matter how long I had embraced them. Glad to know that's not just me. 🤣

Fran - I also have a large appetite and hunger issues, and love cheese & nuts! Not sure I can go off them entirely after the holidays have passed, but you have certainly given me something to think about. 🤔

Hello all, back home and had a good sleep in my own bed. Now to unpack, do laundry and restock fridge.
    Have full house coming for New Year's Day, our family Turkey dinner since we were dispersed at Christmas.
    My weight is actually horrific and I am going to give myself until tomorrow to before recording it...hoping drinking water and acclimatizing will bring it down at least a couple pounds.

I am really looking forward to 2023 for some reason, I think I can do better than 2022 and may be ready to give it all a good go again. Nothing radical, just more diligent 😜

Happy New Year everyone! 🥳 🥂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,029 Member
    Welcome @aubsgg Fran, & @grandmajojo421 Marilyn!
    Glad you found our little corner of MFP.

Marilyn - like you, I do not have a good track record at maintaining anything like a decent goal weight. And I also forget my new habits easily, no matter how long I had embraced them. Glad to know that's not just me. 🤣

Fran - I also have a large appetite and hunger issues, and love cheese & nuts! Not sure I can go off them entirely after the holidays have passed, but you have certainly given me something to think about. 🤔

Hello all, back home and had a good sleep in my own bed. Now to unpack, do laundry and restock fridge.
    Have full house coming for New Year's Day, our family Turkey dinner since we were dispersed at Christmas.
    My weight is actually horrific and I am going to give myself until tomorrow to before recording it...hoping drinking water and acclimatizing will bring it down at least a couple pounds.

I am really looking forward to 2023 for some reason, I think I can do better than 2022 and may be ready to give it all a good go again. Nothing radical, just more diligent 😜

Happy New Year everyone! 🥳 🥂

@BCLadybug888, always worth thinking about what's good to eat or not, but IMO it's pretty individual. It matters what each of us can moderate . . . or not. I

know that a PP said someone had to stop eating nuts and cheese altogether. That can be necessary for some. For me, both of those are things that I can moderate to the point of fitting some in my calorie goal. (I wouldn't necessarily try to eat either one as a mono-diet and try to stay full that way, but I wouldn't want to. I like eating a range of foods daily, not all one or two things!)

I eat nuts daily: Always some walnuts in my oatmeal (for some crunch and healthy fats), peanut butter pretty often, occasionally a brazil nut or two, etc. If I just had a bowl of salted nuts in front of me, I could probably overdo easily, but for a snack, the 100-calorie packets of nuts are pretty satisfying and portion-controlled.

Cheese, I eat multiple servings daily, usually. For me (as an ovo-lacto vegetarian), they're a good flavor/satisfaction ingredient, and some of them are pretty calorie efficient. Others are a little high in fats for the level of other nutrition, but for me a serving around an ounce usually makes me pretty happy, even just to eat on its own as a snack. Typically, that'll be 80-110 calories, depending on the type of cheese.

To me, a lot of figuring out weight loss and weight maintenance has been experimenting with which foods I can moderate, vs. others that spark my appetite to the point of overdoing; plus figuring out whether there are portioning strategies that keep me in calorie bounds happily (like the 100 calorie packets of nuts).

Happy holidays!

• lbscott61
    lbscott61 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m 61 and would like to lose 50 lbs. I can thank menopause and then Covid for the gain! I have had the app but upgraded to premium this week. I started Pilates Reformer classes in November to help with strength and just signed up for half marathon in April. I have to have a goal to help me control my eating. My husband and I retired 18 months ago so I need to get healthy so I can enjoy our new phase in life. Glad to see this 60 and up group!