60 yrs and up

Replies

• marci320
    marci320 Posts: 14 Member
    @Pdc654 Congratulations on your fantastic milestone and great accomplishment! Stories like yours make me hopeful!
  • marci320
    marci320 Posts: 14 Member
    I have been at this a month now, and for the past two weeks have been in birthday mode with way too many restaurant outings, but other than the one day where I ate out twice and my numbers were a nightmare, I'm happy to report that I have lost 16 pounds this month. I've still got birthday outings through April, but I am suggesting restaurants where I can find nutritional information and adjust the rest of the food I eat that day so that I don't regret anything. I've even had cake! It is really time consuming to balance my food each day so that I eat within my calories, carbs, fats, sodium, etc. but well worth it. I have a whole new wardrobe of clothes I can wear now that I haven't worn since before Covid so I feel as though I'm headed in the right direction. I went to get blood work done this past week and am hopeful that even losing a little weight and getting my food under control has helped my numbers. I wanted to thank you all again for the advice you gave me that helped me so much, and is continuing to help me, through this journey. I think next year I'm going to have a party so I can get all the celebrating done in one day!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I need to get my head right and be more accountable to myself in this. I need to get back in control and off the carbs again. Back to my lower level of daily carbs(15g net +/- 3) and FOCUSED on what is best for me! And NOT SHORT TERM ENJOYMENT! Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.11 miles today (I do my elliptical like this 3x per week, on my off work days, pretty religiously. Thursday, Friday & Sunday this week).
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @AnnPT77 . Oh my gosh , Ann, you are down to the wire on those taxes. Hope you're almost done. I'm glad I finished up mine in March. Less stress.

Loved the pics of your flowers coming up. I would love to be more of a gardener but I definitely don't have a green thumb.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 . Oh my gosh , Ann, you are down to the wire on those taxes. Hope you're almost done. I'm glad I finished up mine in March. Less stress.

Loved the pics of your flowers coming up. I would love to be more of a gardener but I definitely don't have a green thumb.

I don't even receive all of the statements I need to do my taxes until mid-March, usually - sometimes later. That was true this year, too - mid-March. One recent year, I got an important statement literally on April 15. Sometimes I file for an extension! I do the taxes myself with Turbotax, and it's not that hard once I have all the needed statements in hand. I expect to finish over the weekend at the latest, but if there's some snag, I'll file for an extension again. 🤷‍♀️ (I admit to being a terrible procrastinator, and not just about taxes.)

I wouldn't say I have a green thumb, either. I have a lot of plants, indoors and out . . . but I've tried growing many, many more than are still here. If something lives, cool. If something dies, oh well, probably won't try that one again! :D
  • Pdc654
    @AnnPT77 I hear you about having yo wait on statements. One of ours got here on March 10th this year but that was the latest. I had all the rest entered ( I use TurboTax also) so that was all that was left to do. That's really late the year you didn't get it until April 15. Yeah, extensions are the way to go with that kind of situation. I use to do my mom and dad's taxes when they were still alive and my dad ALWAYS had me put them on extension regardless of when he got his statements.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 I hear you about having yo wait on statements. One of ours got here on March 10th this year but that was the latest. I had all the rest entered ( I use TurboTax also) so that was all that was left to do. That's really late the year you didn't get it until April 15. Yeah, extensions are the way to go with that kind of situation. I use to do my mom and dad's taxes when they were still alive and my dad ALWAYS had me put them on extension regardless of when he got his statements.

I did my dad's taxes, too, late on. There was not a single thing wrong with the man's brain ever, right up to his death at 87, it was just that he'd become legally blind in an accident at 83.

He'd always done his taxes on paper, with a calculator in hand. He was the kind of guy who'd start the forms early, maybe even before 12/31, then revise if needed once the statements arrived in the mail, file the instant they were all there. His financial picture didn't have all the weird late arrival stuff, so it was unusual for him to file later than end of January.

I'm totally the opposite: Wait until every single statement arrives, maybe procrastinate for a while, file a day or two before the due date. (I don't think I ever needed to file for an extension with his taxes.)

It was a little source of friction sometimes, that style difference, but never enough to blot out the love and trust between us . . . thankfully.
  • Pdc654
    @AnnPT77 . Yep, understand those dynamics between Fathers and Daughters.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    As a tax accountant I have no issue with people doing their own tax returns. I still work during tax season, otherwise known as spring. I regularly get clients who used TurboTax and they'll send me their prior year return. It will be over 100 pages! Only 7 of those pages are an actual tax return.
    When I do retire I will probably pay an Enrolled Agent to do my taxes. It's too much of a waste of time and energy to do one tax return a year even if it is my own.
  • Pdc654
    @ridiculous59 Yes, we are prepared that it will be more expensive. We used to go to 2 or 3 shows each time we went, but prices have gone up so much we may or may not go to any this time. I'm also mental prepared to gain a couple pounds because of the food. And I always gain water weight when flying. Probably will wait a week to weigh myself after I get back.

@alteredsteve175 . Good to see you checking in and that you're hanging in there. You have a lot on your plate. Maybe the nicer weather will help you both physically and mentally.

Hope everyone can get out and enjoy the warmer weather. It's 84 here, but extremely windy so not really a good day to get out and enjoy the outdoors.