60 yrs and up

Replies

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    So glad to see you back @coblujay! I 100% understand where you're coming from. I have, in the past, lost a significant amount of weight, only to gain it all back after a major life event. The last time was in 2014 when my dad fell and fractured his neck in 4 places. He was the primary care-taker for my mom, who had alzheimers. I became care-taker to both of them and regained all the weight I had lost plus some over the next several years. I went from 139lbs up to 240. In 2021, the switch in my head clicked, and I knew I had to make changes.

The good thing for you is that you caught it before gaining it all back. You know what to do to lose that 40 lbs AND that other 25 as well.

Keep logging in and keep posting. I'm cheering you on!
  • Pdc654
    As far as an update, starting Memorial Day, my aqua classes at the Y went outdoors. I have not been able to attend any yet because 1. The pool water was icy cold (not heated) and 2. This last week has been cold and rainy so they ended up canceling classes for 3 days. I'm planning on going tomorrow and Tuesday. In the summer they have a lot more classes and most days I will do 2 hours in a row. I don't know if I'll be able to attend any more this week (or next) because we have our 2 youngest grandchildren for a week and a half starting Wed. My husband and I will try to arrange our schedules so I can make at least some. We have a lot of activities scheduled to do with the grandkids so that will probably consume most of our time.

@AnnPT77 that yardwork sounds like a major project! Are you doing it all yourself or are you hiring part of it out?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    As far as an update, starting Memorial Day, my aqua classes at the Y went outdoors. I have not been able to attend any yet because 1. The pool water was icy cold (not heated) and 2. This last week has been cold and rainy so they ended up canceling classes for 3 days. I'm planning on going tomorrow and Tuesday. In the summer they have a lot more classes and most days I will do 2 hours in a row. I don't know if I'll be able to attend any more this week (or next) because we have our 2 youngest grandchildren for a week and a half starting Wed. My husband and I will try to arrange our schedules so I can make at least some. We have a lot of activities scheduled to do with the grandkids so that will probably consume most of our time.
    @AnnPT77 that yardwork sounds like a major project! Are you doing it all yourself or are oth hiring part of it out?

I'm betting that entertaining the grandkids will have put pretty active things on your schedule, too. What fun!

So far, I'm doing the yard project myself. It's going to take more time that way, especially since it's been punitively hot here lately, but the neighbors are being patient so far. If I do decide I need topsoil, I'll either have to find a friend with a truck, or get it delivered ($$$!), because I don't have a way to transport bulk soil. I could get bagged, but that would be a slow thing in a normal vehicle, and expensive in itself. I've made some decent progress so far, seems like I should be able to DIY it other than that part.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    @chris_in_cal Yes, we are. :)
  • coblujay
    @AnnPT77 @pdc654 Thank you both! I'm so glad to have such a fabulous support system here. I don't know what flips that switch, but I'm feeling a bit more in the groove now that I'm back here.
  • Pdc654
    @AnnPT77 Yes, the things we have planned with the kids involve a lot of walking! Will probably need to take the stroller fir the 3 yr old....better than carrying him when he gets too tired.

Sounds like you'll keep your activity up, too, with that DIY project. Sounds like a good substitute for strength training also!
  • Pdc654
    coblujay wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 @pdc654 Thank you both! I'm so glad to have such a fabulous support system here. I don't know what flips that switch, but I'm feeling a bit more in the groove now that I'm back here.

So glad you're getting back in the groove. Sometimes just reading the posts in this forum can help get you in the right mindset. Reading posts that give encouragement and support always make me feel better if I'm having a hard time.
  • coblujay
    Bravo on getting back to your rowing, @AnnPT77! We're having a rainy spring, so we're a bit late getting started, but my sister and I are back to hiking. The trails we take have steep sections and it's easy to slip so we don't hike when it's really muddy. I'm usually at the huge dog park instead. Hiking is quality sister time and it's a great place to build up and challenge myself, not to mention how gorgeous the area is.

Have fun with the grandkids @pdc654.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    Welcome newbies and thanks for the laugh @coblujay😂
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Nice to see a spark in comments here, was wondering where everyone went! I am on the cusp of leaving for a remote bush camp where I spend my summers. Lots of physical work, but I'm vowing to try and not eat seconds at mealtimes, hahaha. There are no roads, no cell service, but I just ordered StarLink so hopefully in a few weeks I can get online to keep up in MFP on a limited basis. that means no excuses either, hahahaha. Glad to see the approaching summer for us northern hemisphere folks is bringing out the outdoor activities!

@AnnPT77 - curious, how do you get the rowing boat to the water? Is it with a huge trailer? Or strapped on a truck? I just can't imagine trying to navigate roads towing a super long boat! Looks like fun.

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,179 Member
    @SbetaK, haha - you can't kill us off that easy! We are a tenacious bunch 🙂 - which you are demonstrating by ordering StarLink - we will expect to hear from you and more about this remote camp over the Summer!
  • BCLadybug888
    edited June 2023
    Update from me - as hoped, I did indeed lose the last 2 lbs from vacation, phew!

Potentially Big News: after consultation with my Dr, I have decided to try taking Ozempic. Coincidentally, the same day she phoned in the prescription, I heard from the Obesity clinic - which was crazy since that was from a referral 2.5 years ago made by my prior (now retired) GP! So I have an info session to attend for that next week. They have a whole team, but it is mostly geared towards Bariatric surgery, which I was feeling desperate enough to consider at that time. Then I retired and found MFP, and lost close to 50 lbs over the next year and was feeling sooo much better that I never followed up on the referral with my new GP.
    But, I have been struggling and slipping now in year 2 of this most recent chapter in my personal Battle of the Bulge, and had slowly, in a zigzag fashion, gained back almost 20 lbs when desperation again kicked in and I saw my Dr specifically about my weight. This is when she mentioned possible medication treatment in addition to lifestyle changes, as well as sending in another referral (which I declined). I thought about it all for a month, did my best to be 'on plan' and then went back to see her and ask specifically about what medications there were, and there were a few to my surprise - as I am prediabetic, she recommended Ozempic or Saxenda but needed to confer with my Endocrinologist before prescribing.
    That took like 6 weeks lol, but apparently the stars must've aligned, because the prescription and referral both came through!
    I picked up the medication and administered my first dose on Wednesday evening. I felt possibly a little queasy on Thursday, or it was just my normal (for me) reaction to a 3 egg omelette but nothing untoward since.
    I am down maybe 1 lb since Thursday, and have been maintaining a calorie deficit, so we'll see...wish me luck!
  • BCLadybug888
    Other news: last week was devoted to getting my decks and vegetable garden in order - this week is front garden and more planting! So good calorie 🔥 😇
  • Pdc654
    Welcome @tnh2o, or I guess welcome back! Glad you have you here and that you ate getting your health issues under control. Sounds like you are doing great in the activity department.
  • Pdc654
    Good to see all the updates from everyone!

@BCLadybug888 I knew that extra 2 lbs would disappear!

I know some people that are on Ozempic. They have also complained of the nausea feeling. They also mentioned a feeling of fullness which is I guess how it works so you don't want to eat as much. Just report all your symptoms to your doctor. I'm sure she is closely monitoring you. Many people have gotten good results with it. A friend from my water aerobics class lost 9 lbs after starting it. She had been stalled in her weight loss for several months so it did help her.
  • SbetaK
    edited June 2023
    @BCLadybug888 Will do! Might be able to post some photos if it works right. Will be a new thing to have communication there! As long as I don't ignore all the beautiful nature around me just to check the latest posts! :p

• SbetaK
    @AnnPT77 Thanks for the response! I once carried a canoe upside down over our heads with 2 friends down a highway. We all had swimsuits on, so we just hid our heads inside the canoe so no one would recognize us, haha. Rowing sure looks like fun, and also the posts of dragon boating. Lots of ocean where I live, but the only rowing is kayaks, inflatable rafts, and if an outboard dies...