Eliminating over-snacking after dinner

2»

Replies

• jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    I always plan my meals the day before and ensure I’ve planned an evening snack usually popcorn or crackers and light cheese spread with a low cal hot chocolate and try and delay having it too early. Just knowing what you will be having can make nighttime munchies easier it’s been my biggest downfall in the past x
  • If you are having a balanced dinner. Protein, carbs, healthy fat then you shouldnt be hungry after. Also when are you eating? While watching tv? It might not be a hunger thing more a habit, mindless eating while watching tv thing. I eat dinner at 5pm. I then am done for the night. I brush my teeth so im not tempted to eat after.

I like to do a fast. So by 6pm im done eating and dont eat until 7am. So its a 13 hour fast. I used to be super hungry in the morning when i snacked at night but im not anymore.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Just don't do it.
  • dwayneb2020
    dwayneb2020 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm really good during the day. My breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks are healthy and filling. Yet after dinner, actually as soon as the kids are in bed, the over-snacking monster in me strikes!

What are your tips and techniques to banish the over-snacking monster?

I'm sure everyone has a different approach.

For me, I eliminated salty snacks like chips entirely. Didn't have any other choice because for me they lead to instant weight gain. I think that you tend to overeat those since they usually aren't in easily measurable quantities. You can consume 500 calories in minutes, and you're still hungry for more.

Instead I save a couple hundred calories every night for either yogurt with fruit and nuts, or a bar like Kind or similar. Essentially candy, but unlike a traditional candy bar those tend to satiate my hunger, I don't want to eat three. Plus I can track exactly how many calories those snacks have in them.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Night time snacking is just a habit. You can break it. Make a conscious effort to eat after dinner. Find something else to occupy your mind.

I had been in the hospital for about 6 weeks, several years ago. Long story, but my nutrition was completely depleted due to kidney failure. I was eating every 2 hours and people were bringing me candy, cookies, chips, etc. When I got home and was housebound for about 2-3 more weeks, I couldn't get those snacks anymore, and for the first week all I could think about was I wanted cookies, candy, etc. After the first week, the desire was gone and I was back to not snacking.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Implement intermittent fasting. NOTE, there is nothing magic, calories in have to be less than calories out for weight loss. It really doesn't matter when you eat them.

For some people the idea of a "plan" will help provide motivation. If you're intermittent fasting "plan" has you fasting from 7PM (assume you normally finish dinner at 6:45) until 7AM there is a plan to stick to.

Good luck.