Calorie discrepancy

2»

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    I should have been more specific. The database should be cleansed by our selections. Items which have not been added to food diaries for a long time should be deleted. That method of user selection would be the best method for upgrading the database. We are the experts and if we aren't selecting an item from the MFP database it is because it is wrong or irrelevant.

"We" are the experts? You joined in September. I joined in August of 2007.

Early on every food that was added to the database automatically became shared with the world. There used to be no option to NOT share it. That was how the huge database of foods was sourced, mostly. Like Ann says, there are ways to find the good ones.

If they deleted those that are more than a year since being used, I'd probably lose a lot of MY FOODS and that would not make me happy.

Just learn to use it as is. It's not that hard.

Every one has to be crossed checked. Half of them are garbage.

Yeah but with time you build up a list of entries and you spend less time searching the database anyway.
  • Lodewyk56
    Lodewyk56 Posts: 13 Member
    And unless something really looks wrong (which again comes through experience) how far off can it be? I find that if I try to be accurate with the portions and keep some wiggle room as I near my daily calorie limit I have continued to lose weight, so that works for me.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    quantify entries by weight or ounce or? Not dish, cup, saucer, etc. Makes little sense and should be removed from the database......
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    nk9o wrote: »
    quantify entries by weight or ounce or? Not dish, cup, saucer, etc. Makes little sense and should be removed from the database......

The ones that quantify exactly as on the label by "bad" measurements are fine with me. If something's label says the serving is "13 crackers (30g)", and the database has the correct label data but only the "13 cracker" serving size, but I ate 12g of the crackers, it's absolutely fine: I just put in 0.4 servings (= 12/30).

Sure, it would be nice if the original creator had put in the grams, too, but the entry is just as usable without it: I'm not going to re-enter it for that. I appreciate that the entry is already there; I've added a few foods, and it's kind of time-consuming, especially if one is ultra-careful to get all the details right.

I think some of the count ones are nice for restaurant meals, too: I can guess that something was a 7" banana vs. a 10" banana, or that I ate 6 fingerling potatoes, or something like that. I still can't guess weights that well, except for foods I eat very, very often.
  • justinejacksonm
    justinejacksonm Posts: 75 Member
    Yeah... I tried. I *really* tried going all 2019 and easy with it and just slamming a link in there so as to be done but I found it is faster and more accurate in the long run just to plug everything in myself as a new recipe. After looking over correcting, exedra.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited January 2019
    I should have been more specific. The database should be cleansed by our selections. Items which have not been added to food diaries for a long time should be deleted. That method of user selection would be the best method for upgrading the database. We are the experts and if we aren't selecting an item from the MFP database it is because it is wrong or irrelevant.

"We" are the experts? You joined in September. I joined in August of 2007.

Early on every food that was added to the database automatically became shared with the world. There used to be no option to NOT share it. That was how the huge database of foods was sourced, mostly. Like Ann says, there are ways to find the good ones.

If they deleted those that are more than a year since being used, I'd probably lose a lot of MY FOODS and that would not make me happy.

Just learn to use it as is. It's not that hard.

Every one has to be crossed checked. Half of them are garbage.

:lol: Probably even a higher percentage.

It's a crowd-sourced database.

If someone wants an item entered in a specific way, they should be able to do that.

Once you enter something yourself it goes into your MY FOODS. It's super easy to find things in that list. Spend the time and do it correctly once and then your problems disappear.

Solutions I have control over. See how that works?
  • killencm
    killencm Posts: 10 Member
    I'm confused about something. On the side of my yogurt container, it lists the calories as 50. However, it didn't have a bar code so I looked it up in the food list so i could enter it, and it said 100 calories. Which one would be correct? Does anyone know ?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited August 2020
    killencm wrote: »
    I'm confused about something. On the side of my yogurt container, it lists the calories as 50. However, it didn't have a bar code so I looked it up in the food list so i could enter it, and it said 100 calories. Which one would be correct? Does anyone know ?

Always go by the food's label.

The food in myfitnesspal is entered by members and the nutrition info is often wrong. The bar code is no different, bar codes are only assigned to a food when a user (member) enters it into the database, it's not done by the manufacturer or some "official" source.

Just make sure your label is for the whole container. 50 calories for yogurt sounds more like there are several servings in that container. Most yogurt is over 100 calories for a serving. Check the serving size.