Skinny fat

How can i fix my body? Bulk? Cut? Nutrition?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    With so little information it is hard to help.

Please post your stats, past and present, if you have lost weight.

A couple of pictures would help, if your willing.

What your goals are, apart from being, probably ‘normal’, not ‘skinny fat’.

And if you want to exercise, what you have available, home workout or gym, and fitness level/past experience.

Cheers, h.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    It's important to know that the term "Skinny Fat" is related to your cardiovascular and not the way you look.
    People have been misusing it, a lot.

So it's really important to understand where you are now and where you want to be and most importantly, what do you mean by "Skinny Fat. How can i fix my body?".
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    It's important to know that the term "Skinny Fat" is related to your cardiovascular and not the way you look.
    People have been misusing it, a lot.

So it's really important to understand where you are now and where you want to be and most importantly, what do you mean by "Skinny Fat. How can i fix my body?".

Agree about the need to understand where you are.

And no, "skinny fat" doesn't relate to cardiovascular system (although those that are skinny fat in most cases aren't in the best cardio shape).

From the linked article: "The term “skinny fat” is actually a popular term that describes a very real medical condition called sarcopenic obesity. This condition refers to an individual who may have what would be considered a normal/healthy weight, but metabolically, this person shares many health characteristics as someone who is overweight or obese

A person who is sarcopenic obese will have high fat mass and low muscle mass.

One of the best ways to determine whether you may be skinny fat is to have your body composition analyzed and your percentage of body fat determined."

https://inbodyusa.com/blogs/inbodyblog/35425601-how-to-tell-if-youre-skinny-fat-and-what-to-do-if-you-are/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    DannyIrie wrote: »
    How can i fix my body? Bulk? Cut? Nutrition?

recomp probably
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    And no, "skinny fat" doesn't relate to cardiovascular system (although those that are skinny fat in most cases aren't in the best cardio shape).

I don't want to argue here and surely mean no disrespect, but the link you cited as a bunch of errors.

Sarcopenic Obesity is simply the co-presence of Sarcopenia and obesity.
    Sarcopenia is defined as skeletal muscle mass of less than two standard deviations below the mean of a young reference group, in other words, loss of muscle mass.

Skinny Fat is more properly defined as "Metabolically Obese Normal-Weight".
    It basically describes a person who appears to be slim, but suffers or lives with common metabolic issues found in obese/overweight people, particularly Visceral Fat, which is the main cause of cardiovascular diseases such as plaque, hardening of the arteries and enlargement of the heart, along with common obesity issues such as diabetes or pre-diabetes, high blood pressure etc.

Not all Skinny Fat people are Sarcopenic.

The article also suggests measuring your body fat composition with Calipers, which makes no sense.
    They also mentioned Time Magazine as the trend starter, but the term Skinny Fat had been used by vegan doctors way before then, as a "look down" term for diets like Atkins, Dukan, South Beach etc.

Regardless, we're back to what does the topic creator mean when he/she says "Skinny Fat"
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2019
    If I have to guess, based on the lack of information OP provided, lift heavy things and eat either at maintenance or a slight deficit.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    So, you're a normal weight, but lack muscle mass and have a high bf%? Time to start lifting. Yes, you can change your body, but it t does take some work. Pick a strength training program and stick to it.