Step Goal

2»

Replies

• cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    My step goal is 10,000 a day. I have a desk job. I use public transport so i walk to and from the bus before and after work, on my break and then around the shops after work until i hit my goal for the day. Walking is my exercise as i have osteoarthritis in one of my knees and i find walking to help most of the time.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I have had a Fitbit for 6 years.
    I do a lot of walking and routinely get 15k to 18k. I love walking and my dog is appreciative too.
  • KetoLula
    KetoLula Posts: 29 Member
    Mine is at 8k a day, but at the end of the month, I'm planning on increasing it to make it more challenging. I'm on my feet all day chasing and carrying babies, so 8k is pretty attainable without putting in too much extra effort. But I want to start purposeful activity, so increasing it will help me get out and take a walk.
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    10k, but most days I get 12-13k but I like to keep mine at 10k for non workout days.
  • KetoLula
    KetoLula Posts: 29 Member
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    My step goal is just 5,000 a day. This motivates me to get up every now and then and move or park further away at the grocery store. I can't imagine hitting 10K without deliberately spending hours of my day walking! I already exercise 4-6 times a week; what more do you want from me?!? Haha

If you work an active job, 10k isn't too hard. When I first started working with children, I spent all day (8+ hours) chasing toddlers, walking with them (because they enjoyed doing active circle time), running with them outside, pulling them off tables, and more.

My less active job before that, I made a point to get up and walk every hour. I worked as a programmer, so it was good to just stretch my legs and get away from the screen. I gave myself a few personal minutes to make a couple of loops around the floor or do a flight of stairs (I also used it to hit the restroom and took the long way around so I could keep up with my water).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    KetoLula wrote: »
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    My step goal is just 5,000 a day. This motivates me to get up every now and then and move or park further away at the grocery store. I can't imagine hitting 10K without deliberately spending hours of my day walking! I already exercise 4-6 times a week; what more do you want from me?!? Haha

If you work an active job, 10k isn't too hard. When I first started working with children, I spent all day (8+ hours) chasing toddlers, walking with them (because they enjoyed doing active circle time), running with them outside, pulling them off tables, and more.

My less active job before that, I made a point to get up and walk every hour. I worked as a programmer, so it was good to just stretch my legs and get away from the screen. I gave myself a few personal minutes to make a couple of loops around the floor or do a flight of stairs (I also used it to hit the restroom and took the long way around so I could keep up with my water).

Right, I wish I'd had a step counter when I was a machine operator and running around my machine and the warehouse for 8 hours a day.

These days I have a desk job and work from home, and "walking to work" means walking across the hall.

I do like to hike, but I like trail maintenance more, so I walk to where I'm working, and don't get many steps until it's time to walk back. So while I was active for 2 hours yesterday, I only got 1318 steps during that time.

Before I lost my FitBit, it was very rare that I broke 10,000 steps, and I'd have to do things like go for a 4 mile hike PLUS extensive shopping at a big box store to make that happen.

However, I did find my FitBit very motivating at first and do support step goals for others.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not being snarky: Most of the time, however many steps accumulate while doing the things I need to do.

I rarely walk for exercise (gasp!). I'm a fairly active li'l ol' lady (regular rowing boat/machine and spin classes, mostly but not entirely), age 63. However, I'm working with bad knees (torn meniscus for which I'm deferring surgery as long as tolerable, and some osteoarthritis). From experiment, I've learned that risk points for me are activities that involve impact (like walking, let alone running), or torque (stuff like Zumba, tennis, etc.)

I just try to walk enough to stay conditioned to it, enough so I can enjoy walking-intense other activities like music festivals, art fairs, etc. I can walk a few miles without major problems, but it's not something I should do often.

I'm not saying any of this to be critical: I think step goals are a wonderful thing, and a great way to increase either exercise, or non-exercise activity level, depending on how you think of it.

I'm just chiming in so that there's a voice for those who may not be able to hit a high steps goal. It's often talked about popularly as if one ought to push for a high step count, but it's not an essential, irreplaceable element in weight loss, fitness or health. I lost weight just fine with minimal walking (let's say 1500-5,000 steps most days), am reasonably fit (quite so among my age group), and pretty healthy.

I agree with this, and I have a crazy high step count.

But I genuinely *like* walking. Going back to when I was a kid, a brisk walk was a way for me to deal with stress and anxiety. I start every day with a power walk, it's my main form of exercise.

I also do a lot more less brisk walking throughout the day to burn off that excess nervous energy that comes with anxiety and to fight off the joint stiffness that comes with the form of arthritis I have.

Walking isn't my only form of exercise, though. I also lift/do something with kettlebells 2-4 times a week.
  • SpookyPockets
    SpookyPockets Posts: 33 Member
    I try not to really have fixed goals but weekdays is around 20-25000 for me with weekends and days off being a lot less.

I do feel a lot better when I'm walking more though and I'm looking to incorporate other non walking cardio on other days