Loosing weight, and getting healthy

I'm 74, and my weight has been creeping up, and with my COPD, it is getting hard to walk, or do anything very demanding, plus, my niece is getting married at the end of Sept. I want to be able to go, looking good, and feeling good.

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Well you have come to the right place. This is a very supportive site with a lot of great advice and information. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here who are happy to answer questions on the forums.

I am 62 and have lost 33lbs last year and hope to lose another 30 before the summer.

You don't need exercise to lose weight although it is good for strength and fitness. What matters the most is how many calories you are eating.

Read the stickies at the top of the forum pages they will help you navigate around the site.

Weigh and measure everything you eat. Log all your food and keep within the calorie allowance that MFP gives you and you will lose weight.

Be patient, consistant and trust the process.

Good luck :)

• FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    I'm 74, and my weight has been creeping up, and with my COPD, it is getting hard to walk, or do anything very demanding, plus, my niece is getting married at the end of Sept. I want to be able to go, looking good, and feeling good.

Just reading this is so inspiring. I know too many people who are younger that give up and say they are the way they are because of their age and nothing can be done about it. That you want to improve your health at 74 is fantastic.

Exercise is not needed for weight loss. Losing weight is math: Calories out > Calories in = loss. If you focus on that, you should see great results and may even help with the COPD. I know my doctor tells me as I lose weight, my asthma will get less troublesome.

Keep active with MFP for inspiration, focus on your calories, and you'll achieve your goal in no time. Best of luck!