Options
2»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Weighing in every couple of days sounds like you are in a hurry to lose the weight and that simply doesn't work. 85% of people who stop dieting or go back to old habits once they reach their target weight almost always gain some or all of it back. Weight loss and maintenance is a journey, not a destination.

Yes, people who lose weight and then go back to their old habits are going to gain it back. After you lose weight, you have to go into maintenance if you want to keep it off. That doesn't have anything to do with how often one weighs themselves. I weighed daily while I was losing and I weigh daily in maintenance. How often one weighs is a matter of personal preference.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weight almost every day, and it automatically uploads from my scale into FitBit and MFP. I have a Fitbit Aria 2 scale.
    Once in a while I'll skip the weigh-in in the morning if I really overindulged or ate Pizza or Chinese food the previous day! I've definitely gotten better at disconnecting my emotions from the number on the scale, but the habit of skipping on these particular mornings shows that I've still got some room to improve in that department.
    It is hard to be getting ready for another long day at the office with a big fat increase on the scale on my mind!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Weighing in every couple of days sounds like you are in a hurry to lose the weight and that simply doesn't work. 85% of people who stop dieting or go back to old habits once they reach their target weight almost always gain some or all of it back. Weight loss and maintenance is a journey, not a destination.

Yes, people who lose weight and then go back to their old habits are going to gain it back. After you lose weight, you have to go into maintenance if you want to keep it off. That doesn't have anything to do with how often one weighs themselves. I weighed daily while I was losing and I weigh daily in maintenance. How often one weighs is a matter of personal preference.

And actually, some research has just come out that showed a correlative effect between daily weighing, and success in loss and maintaining loss.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and plug that info into the Libra app. Weighing daily really helps me with calorie adherance. I am not bothered by the fluctuations caused by water gain.
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log it into a trend weight app (Happy Scale). I log my weight to MFP once a week (currently Wednesday), gain or loss.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I log everything every day (with a few exceptions when life gets in the way).

If i am unable to be transparent and honest with myself, it’s hard for me to imagine how anyone could offer useful advice that would actually have a positive result.

If I eat a bag of cookies worth 1400 calories, it does me no good to pretend it didn’t happen.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It's actually motivating for me to get on the scale every morning. It helps me see my progress even if the morning shows more than the prior morning it's still a smaller number than last week! (I expect a little fluctuation but still overall going the right direction.)

It reminds me to start the day right.

But I only log Monday morning weigh in on MFP.
  • oneillm45
    oneillm45 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. It desensitises me to the scale - if I'm only weighing once a week, I worry too much beforehand about what the number is going to be. I log my weight every day into an app, but only update here once a week.