Exercising When It's Cold?

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I try not to as my fingers and toes always remain frozen when it's cold outside, regardless of what clothes I wear. I either go on long hikes with little risk of injury (not nice walking with frozen toes, hypermobile feet and general clumsiness) or work out inside, e.g. bodyweight workouts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I run and cycle in the cold. You have to just acquire the appropriate clothes. Yes, you'll spend some $$ - it is worth it to me. I don't like being cold and I don't think you get extra bada$$ points for being cold when you exercise. The right gear makes it pleasant. Now - what's right for you and the conditions you run in - you will have to figure out. Tell us some more about the conditions you run in (how cold, how far, what intensity) and folks may make some suggestions about what to wear - if that will help you.

It's just frigid. It's not snowing, it's about 40 degrees here maybe? My treadmill is outside...

40* isn't frigid...it's a little chilly and pretty easy to dress appropriately for. 35* is my cutoff point for cycling outdoors...for colder than that or bad weather like rain or snow I either get on my indoor bike trainer or go to the gym and do my cardio there.

Coldest I've been in was night skiing at -10F. Wore down over a vapor barrier to protect it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @Jayfeather15 What is "cold" is certainly dependent on what you're used to. 40F is still shorts sleeves and shorts for me, but I run year round in the winter and I live in Minnesota. I see you did make it out and that's awesome! I love that you just went out and did it! Running in the cold can be mental game and now you know you're tough enough to handle it. Sometime try running during a snowstorm. It's magical!!

As many have said, dress appropriately. If you don't want to start out cold, one trick I've used when it's really cold, is to dress so I'm warm when I start, run a slow one mile out and back, then shed layers as necessary. Ideally you will be just ever so slightly chilled after your warmed up so that sweating is minimized. Since you're on a treadmill, just layer up and peel off layers as you need to.

This is from my coldest run last year. 8 miles in -12F air temp, with a wind chill of -31F, just a little bit colder than it will be for my run this Sunday morning.
    77tjjrg3v3zg.jpg
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Jayfeather15 What is "cold" is certainly dependent on what you're used to. 40F is still shorts sleeves and shorts for me, but I run year round in the winter and I live in Minnesota. I see you did make it out and that's awesome! I love that you just went out and did it! Running in the cold can be mental game and now you know you're tough enough to handle it. Sometime try running during a snowstorm. It's magical!!

As many have said, dress appropriately. If you don't want to start out cold, one trick I've used when it's really cold, is to dress so I'm warm when I start, run a slow one mile out and back, then shed layers as necessary. Ideally you will be just ever so slightly chilled after your warmed up so that sweating is minimized. Since you're on a treadmill, just layer up and peel off layers as you need to.

This is from my coldest run last year. 8 miles in -12F air temp, with a wind chill of -31F, just a little bit colder than it will be for my run this Sunday morning.
    77tjjrg3v3zg.jpg

Totally love the pic! I agree that 40 degrees is warm. Heck I was hiking in 30 degree weather in a tank top because I was so warm. I guess we all get used to whatever climate we exercise in.
  • reginacabrera716
    reginacabrera716 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I find it’s best to workout inside, I am a memeber of ilovekickboxing Gonzales, LA and I absolutely love it! It’s super fun and the staff really help you keep your health goals! Plus i guarantee your heart rate stays up hence keeping you warm in the winter!! Try it out! 10/10 would recommend to EVERYONE!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I run and cycle in the cold. You have to just acquire the appropriate clothes. Yes, you'll spend some $$ - it is worth it to me. I don't like being cold and I don't think you get extra bada$$ points for being cold when you exercise. The right gear makes it pleasant. Now - what's right for you and the conditions you run in - you will have to figure out. Tell us some more about the conditions you run in (how cold, how far, what intensity) and folks may make some suggestions about what to wear - if that will help you.

It's just frigid. It's not snowing, it's about 40 degrees here maybe? My treadmill is outside...

Only 40? Running tights and a heavier layer for a top. You're fine.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

77tjjrg3v3zg.jpg

i was waiting for this :)