switching to a new diet every 5 days? - anyone done this?

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    @kimny72 totally understand and any feedback is good and welcome, it's the "calorie counting is the only one that works" comments. I am no newbie to dieting, as said previous I lost a lot of weight a few years back (not cal counting) and have kept most of it off. I got to a point where I was happy but bored and stopped doing it, but I did maintain. I never reached where I wanted to be ultimately and I tried to do the plan I did before but it wasn't doing anything for me and basically I couldn't be bothered logging everything and was cheating a lot. I know people bounce from one to another but that tends to take the route of "diet for 2 weeks.. get sick, forget to log everything, cheat and then go back to eating everything in sight for 2 weeks and start another plan" I am starting a new plan without a gap and effectively will always be in deficit on a constant basis so hopefully will lose weight.. the only rules of dieting are eat less and move more and I am implementing that so time will tell 😁

I don't see calorie counting is the only way that works on here - what I see is CICO is the only way that works.

Which is true.

And calorie counting is just a tool to monitor that and achieve weight loss/ maitenance/ gain as desired.

Am not sure how you know you wiil always be in a deficit if you do not log and calorie count with at least semi accuracy.

Of course you can just trial eating x way and know you were in a deficit after a month if you lost weight - I say a month because you need that long to allow for minor fluctuations.
    Can't see how you will know this of any diet after 5 days.

Regular weigh-ins will give op a pretty good idea of where she's at.

I'm currently in a short weight loss phase right now, and I'm not tracking/logging my calories but I'm still down almost 5lbs since January 3rd. I do some mental math throughout the day and have a rough estimate of where my calories are at, but I'm not using my food scale right now etc. Like the op though, I've been at this whole thing for a while now, so I do think that can make a difference vs someone just starting out.

eta for the disclaimer: yes, I know 5lbs in a short amount of time isn't ideal, but that's factoring in water weight and also much better 'digestion/movement', due to an intentional increase in fiber. I'm estimating about .5lb a week in actual fat loss per week and my weight loss will most likely slow down here on out.
  • zeejane03
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm not critical of not counting calories. I've done lots of things besides counting calories and found some of them successful for both maintenance and losing. I also like the idea of trying out different diets (I've done it, and am thinking about doing a DASH experiment motivated by the n=1 podcast I mentioned). I don't think you actually understand any diet based on 5 days, and with something like how you feel doing it or 5:2 or WFPB or Atkins/keto, I don't think it really gives sufficient understanding. (I don't even like W30, but it gives a whole "how you feel on the first week or so" run down that assumes the first 5 days will get increasingly hard but that it will feel better after that, which is likely true for people for whom it's a huge transition.)

But if you enjoy it, that's cool.

I loosely model my current woe after DASH, but am thinking of being more intentional about it-if you do decide to experiment with it maybe we can start a thread :) I'm impatiently waiting for their follow up podcast to come out (also really curious to know what their third plan is going to be!).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    See, I like to eat as much as I possibly can.

It gives me energy, and good nutrition is the foundation for good health - both physical and mental health. Limiting types of foods limits nutrition. Limiting or restricting too much is really dangerous over the long-term as well. How would I know I am eating not too much but just enough of all the good foods I need if I didn't have some method to do so? Yes, I'm 100% certain that now (eleven years in) I could eat intuitively enough to be well-nourished and yet keep my weight stable.

The way I learned that is to log food. I still log food because it's habit and it's the easiest fastest way for me to keep up with protein, fats, carbs, sufficient fruits and vegetables and my micro-nutrients. It takes me five minutes per day. That's a huge return on my investment.
  • zeejane03
    edited January 2019
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    @tmoneyag99.. that's what I do every week, week in week out.. I don't yoyo and have maintained a previous weight loss for 3 years.. so I know a healthy sustainable diet.. but I'm bored, I don't always want to always plan, I want to mix it up a bit, see what the different diets are all about and give it 2 and half months to try them, have a bit of a laugh with my friends when they ask what one am I doing this week 😂.. it's not meant to be serious or a plan for life and if I had a massive amount to lose, I would think again but I haven't, chances are I am not going to gain, I will hopeful lose and then go back to my normal maintenance plan.

Then maybe you should be posting this in the "maintenance" forum. We are all trying to lose weight and frankly this type of post is unsupportive, unhelpful, and misleading for anyone "Getting started". Congrats to you on maintaining a 50lb weight loss, but this post is really a slap in the face to anyone just getting started and clicking on your post thinking it's a legitimate diet plan.

I'm sorry your bored. Maybe don't put so much emotion into your food and find other things to entertain yourself.

Did you miss the part where op said she was back in a weight loss phase, to get rid of the last few pounds?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    @tmoneyag99.. that's what I do every week, week in week out.. I don't yoyo and have maintained a previous weight loss for 3 years.. so I know a healthy sustainable diet.. but I'm bored, I don't always want to always plan, I want to mix it up a bit, see what the different diets are all about and give it 2 and half months to try them, have a bit of a laugh with my friends when they ask what one am I doing this week 😂.. it's not meant to be serious or a plan for life and if I had a massive amount to lose, I would think again but I haven't, chances are I am not going to gain, I will hopeful lose and then go back to my normal maintenance plan.

Then maybe you should be posting this in the "maintenance" forum. We are all trying to lose weight and frankly this type of post is unsupportive, unhelpful, and misleading for anyone "Getting started". Congrats to you on maintaining a 50lb weight loss, but this post is really a slap in the face to anyone just getting started and clicking on your post thinking it's a legitimate diet plan.

I'm sorry your bored. Maybe don't put so much emotion into your food and find other things to entertain yourself.

I don't think it would come across as a slap in the face to anyone getting started...she is just challenging herself like a lot of us challenge ourselves, like with the planking, couch to 5K, or for many of us, the 10+ servings of fruit-veg a day challenge. It's not what everyone would do, but the things I do aren't either--but they can still provide utility, value and insight.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I'm not critical of not counting calories. I've done lots of things besides counting calories and found some of them successful for both maintenance and losing. I also like the idea of trying out different diets (I've done it, and am thinking about doing a DASH experiment motivated by the n=1 podcast I mentioned). I don't think you actually understand any diet based on 5 days, and with something like how you feel doing it or 5:2 or WFPB or Atkins/keto, I don't think it really gives sufficient understanding. (I don't even like W30, but it gives a whole "how you feel on the first week or so" run down that assumes the first 5 days will get increasingly hard but that it will feel better after that, which is likely true for people for whom it's a huge transition.)

I loosely model my current woe after DASH, but am thinking of being more intentional about it-if you do decide to experiment with it maybe we can start a thread :) I'm impatiently waiting for their follow up podcast to come out (also really curious to know what their third plan is going to be!).

I know they did paleo, since I follow NutritionWonk on Twitter and she was tweeting about it when doing it, but don't know if that's next.

I'll let you know when I decide about DASH.
  • lemurcat2

I don't think it would come across as a slap in the face to anyone getting started...she is just challenging herself like a lot of us challenge ourselves, like with the planking, couch to 5K, or for many of us, the 10+ servings of fruit-veg a day challenge. It's not what everyone would do, but the things I do aren't either--but they can still provide utility, value and insight.

Agreed.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I've pretty much done this over the past ten years. Still weigh 250 pounds. :'(

Aww.. sorry to hear that.. I am going to try and monitor if I stay in deficit too and also getting regular exercise in too.. only 80 days in my case to trial this and see if it works for me x

What are you going to do after that if it works? What are you going to do after that if it doesn't?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    The one thing that I think we all need to remember. Regardless of how you eat to lose weight and there are many many different ways. You might not be counting the calories but your body always is...ALWAYS darn it. Pesky little blighters :#:#:#

This has been an interesting post thank you OP it has given us a good platform for discussion. :)
  • lemurcat2

Replying again, because I think I am going to try it, although I think I'm going to try the higher fat version discussed here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4733264/

I think there might be a group, but I don't know if it's active at all.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    @kimny72 totally understand and any feedback is good and welcome, it's the "calorie counting is the only one that works" comments. I am no newbie to dieting, as said previous I lost a lot of weight a few years back (not cal counting) and have kept most of it off. I got to a point where I was happy but bored and stopped doing it, but I did maintain. I never reached where I wanted to be ultimately and I tried to do the plan I did before but it wasn't doing anything for me and basically I couldn't be bothered logging everything and was cheating a lot. I know people bounce from one to another but that tends to take the route of "diet for 2 weeks.. get sick, forget to log everything, cheat and then go back to eating everything in sight for 2 weeks and start another plan" I am starting a new plan without a gap and effectively will always be in deficit on a constant basis so hopefully will lose weight.. the only rules of dieting are eat less and move more and I am implementing that so time will tell 😁

I don't see calorie counting is the only way that works on here - what I see is CICO is the only way that works.

Which is true.

And calorie counting is just a tool to monitor that and achieve weight loss/ maitenance/ gain as desired.

Am not sure how you know you wiil always be in a deficit if you do not log and calorie count with at least semi accuracy.

Of course you can just trial eating x way and know you were in a deficit after a month if you lost weight - I say a month because you need that long to allow for minor fluctuations.
    Can't see how you will know this of any diet after 5 days.

Regular weigh-ins will give op a pretty good idea of where she's at

I'm currently in a short weight loss phase right now, and I'm not tracking/logging my calories but I'm still down almost 5lbs since January 3rd. I do some mental math throughout the day and have a rough estimate of where my calories are at, but I'm not using my food scale right now etc. Like the op though, I've been at this whole thing for a while now, so I do think that can make a difference vs someone just starting out.

eta for the disclaimer: yes, I know 5lbs in a short amount of time isn't ideal, but that's factoring in water weight and also much better 'digestion/movement', due to an intentional increase in fiber. I'm estimating about .5lb a week in actual fat loss per week and my weight loss will most likely slow down here on out.

Well, yes, that is what I said - if she weighs herself after about a month, she will know if she was in a deficit the way she ate during that last month

• BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Good for you. Hope it keeps things interesting enough to stick with the calorie deficit.
  • zeejane03

Replying again, because I think I am going to try it, although I think I'm going to try the higher fat version discussed here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4733264/

Interesting seeing the results from HF-DASH! And I also noticed the higher fiber intake for both DASH and HF-DASH. I'm really interested in the whole fiber thing right now (wow, I am a nerd LOL).

Maybe I'll start a 2019 DASH group?
  • lemurcat2

Interesting seeing the results from HF-DASH! And I also noticed the higher fiber intake for both DASH and HF-DASH. I'm really interested in the whole fiber thing right now (wow, I am a nerd LOL).

I'm a nerd about this stuff too. If you start a group, I'll come. We could also just do a thread, since groups seem to be sad and forgotten more often than not.
  • zeejane03

I'm a nerd about this stuff too. If you start a group, I'll come. We could also just do a thread, since groups seem to be sad and forgotten more often than not.

I've been playing around with starting a group, but yeah a thread may just be easier and I'm more likely to remember it lol. Maybe in the food section? or in the challenge area?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    I have no criticism of cal counting if it works for you, fab! What I do find on here is everyone is critical if anyone trys anything else because cal counting doesn't work for them (and for many people it doesn't otherwise there wouldnt be so many failures)

CICO is literally exactly how weight loss works. Bodies may be different but they aren't so different that they defy the laws of science. If someone fails, it's because they were not logging/weighing accurately or not being honest with themselves, short of a severe metabolic disorder, which...lets be honest, is incredibly rare and requires a medical diagnosis.