Options
13»

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    eatyogarun wrote: »
    eatyogarun wrote: »
    I decided to brine the turkey one year. Thanksgiving morning I went to get it and dropped it, brine went EVERYWHERE. I just buy a turkey from Popeye's every year now.

Wait. Popeye's sells turkeys? Are we talking about the fried chicken restaurant? Do they sell spicy fried turkey?

I wasn't sure how they cooked them so I looked them up.

"The turkeys range from about 10 to 14 pounds. They're marinated with a blend of Louisiana seasonings, slow-roasted, and then flash-fried for a crispy skin."

They're pretty expensive compared to cooking it yourself, but I find it worth it. I know I am getting a good turkey and it doesn't have to cook as long so it frees up the oven. And I don't spill brine all over the kitchen!

Thanks! I'm totally gonna look into this next Thanksgiving.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So not a food disaster story but a tragedy nonetheless...

This past summer my adult son was visiting. I asked him to make me a cup of tea. He proceeded to fill up my electric kettle with water and then, unbeknownst to me, placed it on the electric stovetop and turned it on. A few minutes later I said, "what's that burning smell?" And the house started filling with smoke. Of course the kettle was melted onto the electric range.

Luckily my daughter bought me a new one for Christmas.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My OH had a casserole dish which he'd had since the stone age and was very fond of [yes Iknow...weird lol]. I used it to make a...guess what...casserole. I did what I always did with casseroles.....started things off on the hob and then put it in the oven. When it was done I took the dish out of the oven and......the bottom fell out of the casserole and dinner and china was all over the floor. OH didn't talk to me for ages.....it was not a direct flame casserole dish......well it was his fault, he should have told me :D
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So not a food disaster story but a tragedy nonetheless...

This past summer my adult son was visiting. I asked him to make me a cup of tea. He proceeded to fill up my electric kettle with water and then, unbeknownst to me, placed it on the electric stovetop and turned it on. A few minutes later I said, "what's that burning smell?" And the house started filling with smoke. Of course the kettle was melted onto the electric range.

Luckily my daughter bought me a new one for Christmas.

My father set 3 metal tea pots on fire. He'd leave them to boil, get occupied with something, boil the water off, and they'd catch fire. Thankfully no harm done. Mom had enough and bought an automatic shut off electric pot.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    These stories are great LOL!
    One day my husband was microwaving a bowl of spaghetti and the dog was sitting below him begging for food, mouth open, drooling. When my husband went to pick up the spaghetti out of the microwave he dropped it and it rained spaghetti on the dogs face lol, the dogs expression was priceless! It was just pure surprise he couldn’t believe my husband just dumped it on him haha. My husband was SO upset, I felt bad but just couldn’t stop laughing 😂.
    Another story nothing to do with dropping food but once my brother burnt a hole in a plastic colander making grilled cheese...... just think about that for a second. 🤭

That literally made me laugh out loud thinking about what the dog must have been thinking!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I once lived in a poorly converted garage apartment. The microwave did this woo - woo thing and the lights would dim. Shortly after I moved in, it actually started to smoke. I unplugged it and heaved it out the door, to find that my landlord was outside doing yard work. He bought a new one, and it started woo - woo ing, again. Luckily, a surge protector solved the problem enough to get me through the lease.

When I worked at daycare in my 20s, I hurt my back pretty bad and was home from work high on muscle relaxants. I decided to make some play dough and have poptarts. The toaster caught on fire. I still can't believe I had the presence of mind to unplug the toaster and grab the baking soda from the play dough recipe! Turns out, when my husband was a teenager, he didn't have the same presence of mind and actually caught the kitchen on fire with poptarts in the toaster.
  • Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is a prime example of the "Neo-Paleo Diet" One has to forage for their food.
  • abbasrizvi918
    abbasrizvi918 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pick them up with some burpees. 20 Burpees for each one. It would be a rock hard High Intensity Interval Session and you would be boosting your HGH by 300%