Female needing help hitting 2000 calories a day w/out junk

Options
13»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Unfortunately, it seems as though OP is no longer interested in this thread.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I have some of the same questions as others including:

- what is currently happening with your weight eating the way you have been where you have been struggling to achieve a certain calorie level?
    - What are your goals, to maintain your current weight?
    - how did you arrive at the 2000 calorie number that you think is your target? Based on your stats and activity level I wouldn’t be surprised if your TDEE weren’t higher than 2000 cals so I’m still questioning whether you’re trying to lose or maintain
    - Are you trying to adhere to a particular type of diet (low fat) for medical reasons?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I suggest you rethink some of your assumptions about food, specifically the one that has you dismissing a whole bunch of perfectly valid and healthful foods as "garbage" (while you're also consuming calories through processed drink mixes throughout the day).

When I need more calories, I'll usually add things like avocados/guacamole, coconut, dark chocolate, nuts/seeds, and potatoes to my day. I also don't worry about eating foods like pasta, oats, plant oils, tortillas, or muffins because I know that these can be part of a healthful diet.

One scoop of iso whey protein is hardly a horrible choice when you are eating 1gm of protein per pound of body weight which is 140 gms for me and only supplementing with 25gms. So im doing good there. I look at macros also so i dont want to eat a bag of nuts or tons of fats just to hit my goals. Appreciate your feedback you mistook the word garbage since i primarily eat a variety of healthy foods all day long and still fall short. Guess i have to keep shoving my face and get over it.

If you're going for more calories then nuts are an excellent source of fat, vitamins and minerals. The biggest reason I eat a lot of nuts is for the magnesium. Up to 45% of the U.S. population (and I'm sure this applies many other countries) are deficient. Magnesium is an incredibly important mineral for the production of ATP. So if you want the most from your workouts, nuts can be very beneficial in helping to meet that nutritional need.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, if you see this, I'll add ...

I eat fruit (raspberries and wild blueberries) on my (plain) Icelandic (high protein) yogurt for dinner often. I had a massive workout today and had some extra calories to play with, so I added two servings of pumpkin granola. Rounds out the macros nicely.

Another protein-adding trick I have is making my protein shake with unsweetened soy milk. Eight fluid ounces adds 80 calories and 7 grams of protein. It has a nice macro balance and it makes the shakes taste extra-creamy.

Hope that helps! :blush: