Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet -pros and cons

12346»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Especially the below quote from it:

"I don’t want to be on the wrong side of history, and one way to do that is to make overly confident and categorical predictions. I still think it’s plausible that some insulin-related variable could be involved in obesity and/or fat loss, particularly 1) insulin resistance in energy-regulating circuits in the brain, and/or 2) blood glucose levels between meals, or some other signal of glucose availability. What I think is very unlikely to be correct is the hypothesis articulated by Ludwig, Ebbeling, and Taubes: the primary cause of obesity is carbohydrate-stimulated insulin acting on fat cells.

That said, I want to be clear that I think certain forms of carbohydrate are part of the explanation for obesity, and low-carbohydrate diets do cause fat loss in most people, with greater carbohydrate restriction typically resulting in greater fat loss. Like most diets, low-carbohydrate diets aren’t very effective against obesity in the average person, but they do have some effectiveness and they are certainly a valid tool in the toolbox. They may also be particularly useful for managing diabetes, although long-term outcomes remain uncertain."

Especially that? I think you are picking and choosing what you are taking away. I'm sorry you feel the need to pick and choose.

I personally agree with the quoted bit, however, including the bolded portion.

Thanks for agreeing with me about the quoted bit because I know I can be wrong.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Especially the below quote from it:

"I don’t want to be on the wrong side of history, and one way to do that is to make overly confident and categorical predictions. I still think it’s plausible that some insulin-related variable could be involved in obesity and/or fat loss, particularly 1) insulin resistance in energy-regulating circuits in the brain, and/or 2) blood glucose levels between meals, or some other signal of glucose availability. What I think is very unlikely to be correct is the hypothesis articulated by Ludwig, Ebbeling, and Taubes: the primary cause of obesity is carbohydrate-stimulated insulin acting on fat cells.

That said, I want to be clear that I think certain forms of carbohydrate are part of the explanation for obesity, and low-carbohydrate diets do cause fat loss in most people, with greater carbohydrate restriction typically resulting in greater fat loss. Like most diets, low-carbohydrate diets aren’t very effective against obesity in the average person, but they do have some effectiveness and they are certainly a valid tool in the toolbox. They may also be particularly useful for managing diabetes, although long-term outcomes remain uncertain."

Especially that? I think you are picking and choosing what you are taking away. I'm sorry you feel the need to pick and choose.

I personally agree with the quoted bit, however, including the bolded portion.

Thanks for agreeing with me about the quoted bit because I know I can be wrong.

I posted it, so hardly surprising I agree. Duh.