Lose 5lbs + in February 2019

Replies

• Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    LisaW57 wrote: »
    Original starting weight - 158.5 (12/30/2018)
    February starting weight - 155.0
    February goal - 150.0
    Ultimate goal - 135.0

1st - 155.0
    8th - 154.8
    15th - 154.9
    22nd - 155.5
    28th - 153.5

Total loss for February - 1.5
    Total loss since 12/30 - 5.0

I am pretty competitive with myself, and I can be my own worse critic. I refuse to be disappointed at "not hitting goal." Yes. I want to drop off 20+ pesky pounds. I'd absolutely like to do that tomorrow. But I know that this is a long slow roll - and the weight drop is a single measure for a single goal towards my overall objective.

1.5 pounds is 1.5 pounds in the right direction. I'll take it. It's 2 pounds from last week alone, after drifting up for 2 weeks. And it's 5 pounds since I started this round on December 30. That's some serious, steady progress. I'm a data geek - and that's 3% of my total body weight gone so far! And I'm 21% of my way towards this one goal.

It has been humbling to watch the yo yo thing going on this month. My progress graph, seriously, looks like a flipping heart monitor over the course of a month. And I've done nothing different day to day, week to week. At least nothing that correlates directly to the data point moving one way or the other. So from that perspective, weight truly is just a number - and just a single measure of success or failure among many.

I have found it helpful to watch for trends (I've seen none, btw). I also find it helpful to be mindful of my overall goals and progress in other areas. It doesn't hurt to put that in the framework of my story.

Here's the back story. I am 5'2" and in high school started edging up from the 150's to 180 at graduation (1975). six months later I topped 198 and quit getting on the scale. I have no doubt that I topped 200. In 1977 I decided to do something. I knew it was going to be a lot of hard work. I had watched my mother and my aunt struggle with their weight most of my youth. They'd diet and lose, then they'd put it right back on. (That would end up being a lifelong struggle for them.) I was determined that I was not going to put myself through that. I would lose and keep it off, or I'd make peace with being fat. My goal was to get to 150 and maintain for a year before I headed toward the 100-110 goal that was on all the healthy weight charts. I hit that 150 in (roughly) 18 months. And I maintained that for many years. While my "diet plan" was not exactly "healthy" (and caused my doctor to mutter profanities), I came out the other end with some healthier habits - well rounded meals, plenty of fruits & vegetables, portion control, and exercise. I gradually dropped, year to year, until I was down to 125 before the birth of my youngest in 1989. I look back at those pictures and I looked anorexic. Obviously not a good weight for me.

I took the "baby weight" off fairly quickly and was left with that little pouch as a souvenir. I did not start edging up again until the kids were in late elementary school - they were active, I was not. School, Scouts, and a 100 mile/day commute to a desk job took a toll on meal planning. And it showed. By the mid-1990's I was back up to 165. I joined Weight Watchers and took of 20 pounds. That "stint" helped me re-establish healthy eating and exercise habits. And I continued to drop into the 135 range. That's a really good weight for my body. I feel healthiest at 135-145.

Enter peri-menopause and menopause. By March 2010, I was back up to 163. Refocus, reset, and get back on track. I joined MFP and took off 20 pounds in 4 months. In between the focused weight loss, I've noticed that I regularly gain 10-15 pounds over the winter, that comes off pretty easily in the spring as I get back outdoors to walk and garden.

I admit it. My spirit animal is a bear. If I could hibernate and sleep through winter, I would. The reality is that I can't. So meals start leaning towards comfort food. I telework now, and if I hit 2500 steps a day I've worked at it and done it pacing purposefully around the house. As the weather warms up in March, I make a concerted effort to get the winter weight off and shift into a healthier lifestyle. I have, literally, been in the same summer & winter clothes sizes (they are distinctly different) for 15+ years. I can live with that. I am who I am. When I think about my back story - that is a true measure of success.

Last spring, my husband had an extended health crisis, and I had entered my 60's. I did not get that winter weight off. He's recovering nicely. In December, I realized I was mid-way through another winter and was already past my top-end winter weight of 155. I could blow it off, accept another 5-10 pounds and double down in the spring. I knew it would be harder, but I was fine with it. Then my daughter-in-law became distressed with some weight related health issues, and she truly has no support. The choice was clear. I weighed 158.5 on 12/30 and began to refocus. Almost 3 pounds down in January, and February's loss puts me at 5 down.

That's not insignificant. But more than the weight, I've had other successes. I lowered my sodium goal from MFP's default of 2300mg to 2000mg on 2/11 - and I'm averaging under that the course of a week. I adjusted my macros from the default 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein to what I know works better for me (30% carbs, 25% fat, 45% protein). I'm not hitting it yet, but I'm mindful of it. I added some low-level strength training. I joined the Mission Fitness Challenge late. Squats, Push-ups, and Lunges. Start at 10 each, add one per day, until you get to 40. The Challenge ended, but I've kept at it. I will hit 39 today. I had a huge results boost about 10 days ago - I noticed that my back & underarm fat (what IS that?!) is no longer spilling over the top of my bra! I'm drinking more water. Not enough. But I'd rather have coffee and cocoa in the winter, so that's a good baby step. I've skinny-ed up some of my comfort foods, and I'm forcing non-comfort meals into the week. I started throwing blueberries in my oatmeal. Go ahead - laugh. Berries don't grow in the winter - that's why bears hibernate. And I've eaten 2 containers of spring greens and cottage cheese (spring and summer staples for me) in 2 months. Who does that?! Seriously? Where's the cream of broccoli soup and mac & cheese?

If you are getting a clear picture of me, good. Because the point of my rambling is that there are more measures of success than the devil-spawn scale. While it's easy to get discouraged and give up, sitting back and asking yourself what you are really trying to accomplish - and measuring progress against THAT is what sustains motivation.

I wanted to stop the winter weight gain in it's tracks and I have. For me, any weight loss mid-winter is a bonus.

I look forward to joining you guys in March! Thanks for the occasional note of encouragement (@dawnbgethealthy) - and all of the "likes" and "hugs" - you keep me accountable. I don't interact here much, but I read all of your posts (@lalabank) and am cheering you on! Just sticking with it is an accomplishment! If you made it to today, CONGRATULATIONS! And if you didn't? March is a new month, and a clean slate!

Onward!

Thanks for sharing your story, Lisa! I'm 63 and can relate! I've gained and loss the same 20 lbs I don't know how many times but ended up letting it get out of hand and now I'm having to lose more like 60. You are doing great!! See you next month!
    Connie
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    CW: 133 lbs.
    GW: 125 lbs.
    I love this thread! Let's keep it going for March too! I'm pumped!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    MFP starting weight October 27.18 - 191
    5'3", 58 years old
    February starting weight - 176.3
    February goal - 171.3

February 1 - 176.3
    February 2 - 176.8
    February 3 - 176.9 - I am seeing that the only time that I drop weight is after skating. There are 3 public skating sessions per week including today until the end of March. I did more than an hour of workouts yesterday (non-skating) but am still up slightly. It really frustrated me in January. Perhaps skating is more than exercise and is stress relief which helps me to lose weight?
    February 4 - 176.0 after skating yesterday.
    February 5 - 178.0 - 2 pound gain after a very "good" day. I learned from January about how this happens without reason. Staying on track. There wasn't any skating to go to yesterday, going today.
    February 6 - 175.9 - Skating yesterday : - )
    February 7 - 174.9 - Skating yesterday. I was afraid this morning because I was only at 400 calories by the time I got home last night from a busy day so ate dinner at 10:30! I thought that I would show a gain from eating so very late. I did burn a lot of calories though.
    February 8 - 175.0 - could have been worse, I ate a whopping 2300 calories yesterday!
    February 9 - 174.8
    February 10 - 175.0 - Up slightly. Skating on the docket today, but also a dinner out. Going to be quite moderate with my consumption during the day to make up for the dinner.
    February 11- 175.1 - Kind of expected that after going out.
    February 12 - 177.8 - Hopefully just an anomaly. Skating today and tomorrow.
    February 13 - 175.8 - Expecting a woosh soon, burned 1500 calories yesterday between skating, walking, snow shovelling! Skating today.
    February 14 - 176.0 - another high calorie burn day yesterday with skating and shovelling, but I consumed lots of calories too. I was still in a deficit however. Geez it is so hard to lose weight!! Half way through the month already.
    February 15 - 176.6 - No idea why, lack of sleep maybe.
    February 16 - 174.7 - Glad to see this since I am hosting mulled wine at my house amidst all of the events of a Winter carnival today. Buffer : - )
    February 17 - 175.4 - Okay, still 11 days left in the month. Skating today to hopefully undo some of yesterday lol.
    February 18 - 177.4 - Sad about that, it seems that I can't be like a normal person and keep my weight loss up. I had 1700 cal yesterday (but with a 600 cal deficit) and 1900 the day before (with a 500 cal deficit). I have been very active and didn't really eat anything bad. It is a struggle, but I will keep on trying.
    February 19 - 177.0
    February 20 - 175.8 - skated yesterday and will again today. This has been a really tough month for weight loss!
    February 21 - 174.4 - only a week left of the month. This has been a tough one for weight loss. 4 times in the 174s since the 7th, but not able to keep it there.
    February 22 - 173.0 - planned night out including wine. I will try to keep consumables light during the day and do lots of calorie burning dance aerobics to make up for it (it being butter chicken, pakora, wine at the ballet etc.) 6 days left in the month in order to lose 1.7 to make the 5lb loss goal. Like January, I wasn't sure halfway through the month, I was gaining weight instead of losing. Staying the course. Today's weigh in is super motivating for me.
    February 23 - 174.7 - Gained 1.7 pounds for going out. Best to not go out, but I did expect to gain. If I have dinner out once per month I will need to have a 2 pound cushion. It was really great to touch that 173. Hoping to get into the 160s in March and for a couple of months. 150s in May, 140s in August? Haha, getting ahead of myself. It takes so long to get off, and is so quick to come back on. Better to be in the 170s than the 180s or 190s like previous months I guess : - ) Ready for the next decade and to stay there for awhile.
    February 24 - 175.0 - argh - hopefully just water. Skating today which might be my diuretic. 2 more skating days before the end of the month too, so need this weight to go down already.
    February 25 - 176.0 - argh
    February 26 - 175.2
    February 27 - 174.4 - Burned off a little over 1,000 calories yesterday, (including skating) happy to see the scale today. Skating today again. When I can gain 2 pounds easily in 1 day it is so discouraging for it to take a whole month to lose it. But we soldier on.
    February 28 - 174.8 - burned off mega calories yesterday too, but still up in weight this morning. Low on sleep.

March 01 - 174.3 - Will add to the new thread

running loss/gain: - 1.5 loss - very disappointing month.
    Counting March 01 = 2 pound loss
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Thank you Samantha! @SamanthaLouiseMence
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,974 Member
    •Lose 5 lbs in February 2019•

January 2019 - Gain/Loss of 1.8 lbs. 31 day average was 174.9

Original starting wgt: 253
    February starting weight: 172.8
    February goal: 170
    ❄Updating every day through February until completely back on track.

•Monday Updates•📌

2/01 - 172.8
    2/02 - 174.4 - continuing my yoyo imitation😆
    2/03 - 174.8
    📌2/04 - 176.4
    2/05 - 177
    2/06 - 176.6
    2/07 - 177.2
    2/08 - 177
    2/09 - 174.8
    2/10 - 178.2
    📌2/11 - 175.2
    2/12 - 176
    2/13 - 174.6
    2/14 - 174.2
    2/15 - 173.8
    2/16 - 174.4
    2/17 - 174.2
    📌2/18 - 173.8
    2/19 - 175 - some gut issues yesterday and continuing today😩
    2/20 - 174.4
    2/21 - 174.6
    2/22 - 175.4
    2/23 - 175
    2/24 - 175.8 - Let's see what tomorrow brings
    📌2/25 - 176.8 - Ate later than usual. New eating window starting today.
    2/26 - 174.6
    2/27 - 176.8

2/28 - 177 - Holding so much fluid that my joints are creaky this morning. I feel tired. I need to walk it out. Gain of 4.2 lbs. It's fluid, but still a gain.
    February 2019 - Gain/Loss
    of 4.2 lbs. 28 day average was 175.3

•Lose 5 lbs in March 2019•

February 2019 - Gain/Loss
    of 4.2 lbs. 28 day average was 175.3

Original starting wgt: 253
    March starting weight: 175.2
    March goal: 170
    ❄Updating every day through March until completely back on track.

•Monday Updates•📌

March 1 - 175.2 - Feeling 90% better today.

3/2
    3/3
    📌3/4
    3/5
    3/6
    3/7

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Posting here until the March thread is started. I'm switching to Wednesday weigh in's because Fridays didn't do so well for me last month. I'm feeling much better about this month than I did January and February. I'm learning winter is NOT a good time for cutting for me. Finally got back in a good groove at the end of February, so now I'm confident about being able to stick with it to hit my goal.

Original starting weight - 167 (April 2018)
    March starting weight - 147.8 lbs
    March goal - 144 lbs
    Ultimate goal - 140 lbs

1st - 147.8 lbs
    6th -
    13th -
    20th -
    27th -
    31st

Total loss for March:
  • syreina
    syreina Posts: 548 Member
    edited March 2019
    @jlbtnc Thank you for those very kind words! They really resonated with me since I gained this month but I logged it. :)

@SamanthaLouiseMence Thanks for the upcoming March thread.

I decided to take daily weigh-ins until the end of the month so here they are.

If I can recall correctly, this week:
    Breakfast - Half of my daily Soylent on Mon/Tues. I had eggs with veggies and sausage on Wednesday morning. No breakfast on Thursday. Today, I also had eggs with veggies, bacon, toast. I'm also drinking a caramel iced coffee. (Treat for getting back to normal weight, lol. Plus I usually drink half of it and save the rest for the next day.) I usually have a whole Soylent Mon to Fri but now I'm thinking maybe half is enough along with real food. Also, I only had one left for the month this week.
    Lunch - Mostly leftovers from dinner (even brought them today) and I had chips one day along with the leftovers.
    Dinner - My amazing fiance made dinner Mon to Wed and my sis-in-law made dinner last night. (Honestly, I do not like to cook and I thank god for my fiance who does like to cook.)

Gym:
    We went to the gym on Mon, Wed, and Thurs. I do 5-6 different exercise (one set each, at least 10 reps) and 21 minutes on the elliptical. Last night, I had a small bowl of cereal after the gym. (Perhaps it helps? I'm always adamant about eating afterwards because it is almost 11pm by the time we get home.)

Lastly, thanks to anyone who read this post. If you have any comments about my post, please let me know. I'm always grateful for any help. Here's to the month of March!!!

MFP Starting Weight: 140 lbs - February 2011
    Current Starting Weight: 147 lbs - November 2017
    February Starting Weight: 140.4 lbs
    February Goal: 135 lbs

Height: 5ft

Goal Weight: 130 lbs - April 2019 (Niece's Quincenera)
    Ultimate Goal: 120 lbs - June 2019

Weigh-In Day: Friday (and Monday until 3/14 for work-related program - although I am starting to like Monday weigh-ins since they keep me accountable on the weekends as well)

February 1: 140.4
    February 4: 139.4 (It has been 1 year since I have been at this weight. Hooray!)
    February 8: 140.4
    February 11: 141.4
    February 15: 141
    February 18: 141.4
    February 22: 141.4
    February 25: 143
    February 26: 143.2
    February 27: 141.6
    February 28: 143.4
    March 1: 141.2 (Back to normal, lol.)

Total loss for February: +3 lbs
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    @syreina Your welcome, we all need that little extra encouragement sometimes. I know at one point I will need it and know I will get it here. We are not perfect or would not have issues with our weight, but we can help each other.
  • InDogWeTrust
    InDogWeTrust Posts: 77 Member
    2/8 137.4
    2/13 134.2
    2/20 132.5
    2/24
    2/28 133.6
    goal weight 132.4

total loss for February: 3 pounds:(((((
  • jenn990205
    jenn990205 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Back for another round. Still didn't reach 5 pounds last month, but did get close (3.9). This month I will be happy with 3 pounds and reach 145. It's a short month, we have Superbowl Sunday, my second oldest turns 18 next weekend, and my husband and I are leaving for our an annual trip to Vegas. 6 days no kids and tons of fun! So I think even losing 3 is going to be hopeful. I'm going to stay strong on the days of no celebrating and try and make decent choices on the other days. We will see!

Starting weight: 178
    January ew: 148.5
    Goal: 145

Feb 1: 147.5 already a great start to this month! If we can continue this way that would be great!
    Feb 7: 149.3 up a bit this week. Haven't made some great food choices.
    Feb 14: on vacation! No scale
    Feb 21: 153.7 Way up! Vacation was amazing but some how gained 12 pounds in 10 days. Mostly water weight, but obviously not losing 5 pounds this month. Already down 6, so just need to get the other 6 off by next week and will finish where I started this month.
    Feb 28: 153.3 Inflated number due to vacation and TOM. I am ready for March!
  • LisaW57
    LisaW57 Posts: 339 Member
    Posting here until the March thread is started. I'm switching to Wednesday weigh in's because Fridays didn't do so well for me last month. I'm feeling much better about this month than I did January and February. I'm learning winter is NOT a good time for cutting for me. Finally got back in a good groove at the end of February, so now I'm confident about being able to stick with it to hit my goal.

Same here. I'm basically taking off 2 years of winter weight. Life happened last spring, and there was no loss. I usually start in March, but started in January this time. January and February proved not the best time of year. On the positive side, I didn't pack on any mired winter weight. Psyched for March!
  • LisaW57
    LisaW57 Posts: 339 Member
    I'll start March here until we get our new thread as well!

Original starting weight - 158.5 (12/30/2018)
    March starting weight - 153.5
    March goal - 148.5
    Ultimate goal - 135.0

1st -
    8th -
    15th -
    22nd -
    28th -

Total loss for March -
    Total loss since 12/30 - 5.0
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member