WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    After exercise laid out in the sun then we went to Daytona to meet my cousin Had lunch with my cousin. Had this vegetarian quinoa salad. It was pretty good. Just water to drink.

We’re supposed to go to a friend of our’s house Friday. I know he wants me to have some wine. Honestly, I’d prefer not, but I know me, and I’ll have a little just to make him happy.

Felicia – I’m glad your son understands his father. It would be terrible if he didn’t

Laurel – welcome

Michele who colored her roots last night
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Before exercise, went to Publix and got a paper and returned some food ...

I've never even thought about returning food. Do they take it back? Is it in cans or packages so they can see it wasn't tampered with?

I'm sure I wouldn't be able to return produce or anything like that.

M in Oz

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    <3
  • exermom
    m - stores will take food back as long as it isn't opened. I don't think they resell it if it's gone out of the store, but they do take it back.

Michele who is off to bed
  • Machka9
    edited February 2019
    exermom wrote: »
    m - stores will take food back as long as it isn't opened. I don't think they resell it if it's gone out of the store, but they do take it back.

Michele who is off to bed

I wonder what the store does with it then.

When I'm travelling and happen to have food left over, I usually leave it with the owner/manager of the place I'm staying or drop it into a food donation collection bin at a local grocery. Maybe that's what the store does with it too. I just checked and apparently we can return food to our grocery ... I've just never thought of doing that. But then, I rarely return anything.

M in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Genoa at night. Pesto with green beans and potatoes, delicious and just the right portion size. We waited in line at this restaurant—packed with locals and tourists.
  • Machka9
    Goal: Get some exercise in February.

I've been diagnosed with greater trochanteric pain syndrome in my right hip and right lumbar facet joint inflammation in my back. Plus I've got the flu right now.

Hence ... running behind on the goals and going back to the basics.

Friday, 1 February 2019 ... 0.9 km hobbling
    Saturday, 2 February 2019 ... 0.0 rest day!
    Sunday, 3 February 2019 ... 0.0 rest day!
    Monday, 4 February 2019 ... 1.3 km slow walking
    Tuesday, 5 February 2019 ... 0.80 km slow walking
    Wednesday, 6 February 2019 ... 1.3 km slow walking
    Thursday, 7 February 2019 ... 0.8 km slow walking

Friday, 8 February 2019 ... 5.7 km slow walking with breaks
    Saturday, 9 February 2019 ... 3.9 km slow walking with breaks + 20 km cycling
    Sunday, 10 February 2019 ... 4 km slow walking with breaks + 21 km cycling
    Monday, 11 February 2019 ... 1.5 km slow walking with breaks
    Tuesday, 12 February 2019 ... 2 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs
    Wednesday, 13 February 2019 ... 3 km walking + 2 flights of 20 stairs
    Thursday, 14 February 2019 ... 2.5 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs

Friday, 15 February 2019 ... 2.6 km walking + 6 flights of 20 stairs
    Saturday, 16 February 2019 ... 5 km walking + 15.19 km cycling
    Sunday, 17 February 2019 ... 15.44 km cycling
    Monday, 18 February 2019 ... 2.6 km walking + 6 flights of 20 stairs
    Tuesday, 19 February 2019 ... 0.8 km walking
    Wednesday, 20 February 2019 ... 1.8 km walking + 2 flights of 20 stairs
    Thursday, 21 February 2019 ... 1.8 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs

2019 Monthly February
    Walking Distance (km): 42.3
    Walking Time (min): 528.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 71.6
    Cycling Time (min): 226.2
    Stairs Climbed Number: 28.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 22.4

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 113.9
    Total Distance (miles): 70.8
    Total Time (min): 777.4
    Total Time (hr): 12:57:21

Walking To Date
    2019 - 145.17 km
    2018 - 239.1 km
    2017 - 236.35 km
    2016 - 124.7 km
    2015 - 112.55 km
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited February 2019
    NYKAREN - I've always wanted to go to Genoa (Genova) since I saw a film starring Colin Firth, called Genova, (or A Summer in Genoa). Worth a look and exactly as you describe with the little grubby alleyways etc. 2008. Love homemade pesto. B)

My friend who went on the cruise is ringing me today to have a chat about her holiday. She posted a video of her walk around the deck which almost made me cry. The ship is now on its last ever trip, down to Africa, and then it will be sold. :'(:'(:'(<3

Reading a good book called ENUFF. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    well I am up and having my tea... my granddaughter sleeping next to me, trying to keep Alfie from pouncing on her and waking her up is a chore... Dave finished painting yesterday.. he has to wait until I get the light fixtures up to paint the ceiling, it really brightens up the place and its all is one color, I had 4 different colors in the room and the hallway..
    the kids have a 2 hour delay so I don't drop her off until 10:15 will stop and get the boys out and then take her to school.. Dave is going to do one more coat over the cabinets..and that will be it for now..
    have errands to run later..
  • exermom
    Tracey – we have a gas fireplace and it puts out a decent amount of heat without all the work.

M – I’m guessing that the stores throw away the food you return. I doubt they’d give it to a food pantry because they can’t be 100% sure it hasn’t been tampered with or if frozen food has been defrosted and then refrozen. They may donate canned goods, I honestly don’t know. I’m so sorry about the tutorials. How aggravating that is

NYKaren – lovely, lovely, lovely pics. How I wish I were with you! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us

Michele where it is supposed to be sunny today -- FINALLY
  • Machka9
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Machka - I'm watching my son dealing with college registrations over the phone and electronically, with a two-hour time difference, as the school is on the west coast. Made me think of you. I've put my master's degree ambitions to the side until we get our finances where we want them, I'll just live the frustrations vicariously through you. :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I sort of jokingly told an administration person I had on the phone one time that I thought I should receive a degree for making successful registrations, applications, enrolments, etc. etc. at the university!! All the admin stuff I have had to wade through for each course, should add up to a degree!

She laughed ... and then agreed with me!! :lol:

Anyway, this will be Course 3 of 8 for my Masters in IT, and it is Network Security Techniques and Technology. Apparently about firewalls and security and things.

M in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Tracey we did not get socked with snow until February too. We just past the record for the snowiest Feb. ever! We had the extreme cold this month too. Usually February is one of the nicer winter months. This feels more like our December or January. At least we are getting closer to end of winter.

Because of the weather our trash pick up and recycle have not been picking up very well. We have had just as bad of winters and not this problem. I think it is because they have gone to these automatic arms which work fine when there are not snow banks. They used to have their haulers move the cans to the back of the trucks to get them emptied.

We now have to leave both cans recycle and trash at the bottom of our driveway.They used to be picked up on separate days. Because of the snow banks and the two cans there is no room to get our cars out without moving the cans. They were supposed to pick up yesterday. No go, so now the cans are still at the end of the driveway :disappointed:

In the scheme of things a small problem. Still I wish the powers that be would think through the process before making such big changes. The robo arms work fine where there is not so much snow, but not here. It just makes another problem for us.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    If you live in the U.S., I would try to donate any unused/unopened food, rather than return it. The stores throw out all returned food. There may be a few stores (very few) that have organized a donation system with a local shelter, but the majority of stores just throw everything away. There is a whole culture of people who live off what they find in dumpsters. Sounds disgusting, until you see them pull out tons of heavily wrapped/packaged foods, health/beauty products, even furniture that has defects. It is strange, but you will see stores post signs saying that they will prosecute anyone who is caught stealing from their trash. !!?? That, to me, is equally disgusting; prosecuting people who can't afford the basics for stealing your trash. We live in an extremely wasteful society. :(
    Heather- Love the carvings! Sorry about the crowds!
    Beth- I hear you on the aching quads! The other day, I was remembering how I used to do 100-200 squats each morning; I can't push out 20 without my knee protesting loudly! Hurray for you and dusting off your kettle bell!

That's all I have for today. Sending love to all who need it! Welcome new girls! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    machka hope you can get on the phone to uni and get on waitlists for courses, they could open up when another student shifts to a different course. But so frustrating!!

7 miles of walking today :)

Ciao NYKAREN- Italia

-Midway to top of Genoa looking out over the city
    -Mediterranean along the promenade in Nervi
    -trusty shoes are keeping me going without too much knee pain and no foot pain :p

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Rebecca: You are really very lucky that you live with close family, even though not everyone is there. We have two kids and they live clear across the country. We haven’t seen our daughter and her children for almost two years. Count your blessings. :heart:

Michele: We’ve never tried to return food to a grocery store. When we buy something and realize it is the wrong item we usually donate it to the food bank. Any opened containers go in the garbage. Between us we have several food intolerances. :ohwell:

Snowflake: I don’t know whether they will reimburse us the cost of the plumber. So far, he hasn’t charged us anything. :flowerforyou:

Tracey in Edmonton: Regarding electronic permission slips for parents—too many kids forge permissions as it is. If the permission slips can be printed, signed by parents and turned in by the kids, I don’t see a problem, but giving electronic permission online is too easy for kids to forge. :ohwell:

NYKaren: Enjoy your trip. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Your exercise log is impressive. WTG!!! Good luck with your tutorial. I hope you are able to get into the one you like most. :star:

Lisa: Rest well. :heart:

Michele: We also have a gas fireplace and just had it worked on. They replaced the ignition system and everything is in better working order than ever. The cost was unexpectedly reasonable. WIN!!! :bigsmile:

We’re working on our issue with the city water department. We hired a plumber and he traced the leak to the city water meter itself. They “worked on it” just before the water bill soared. He’s interceding for us and we’ll see how it goes. He hasn’t billed us yet, and I don’t think he plans to do so.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon