Any success stories deal with lowered metabolism?

2»

Replies

• 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    @sijomial

I'm pretty sure saying 'you can't really build...' is not an absolute statement, and is equivalent to saying 'Unlikely to build a significant amount'

Ok thanks for clarifying the muscle energy consumption bit, and I didn't know that fat needed energy to be maintained, that's enlightening and also, why?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member

This article is a good read and debunks a lot of the myths you might find on YouTube.
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/metabolic-damage/

One other thing. Anyone know who wrote this? All I could find was someone named Jay toward the bottom of the article. I feel skeptical if it isn't written by a doctor, dietician, backed by peer reviewed research, etc.

Thanks![/quote]

Here's more about the author: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/about/ He's done his homework.
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    I dont know if it counts but I have been dealing with metabolic issues for over a decade.. First as a side effect from birth control and then as a result of a underactive thyroid.. I mean, the stats were three times over what it should be at most.. Side effects: hormone imbalance, low metabolism, emotional issues..
    But still, once I got the right pill and everything was regulated, I started losing. I mean, I stopped eating junk too.. I may have lost a little slower than average but I still lost.. Nothing was damaged even with an autoimmune disease.. So I dont think that a few months will impact you bmr any more than they did for everyone else..
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    This got me thinking actually, I wonder if my antidepressants have had an effect by generally slowing me down and making me more relaxed...
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    39flavours wrote: »
    This got me thinking actually, I wonder if my antidepressants have had an effect by generally slowing me down and making me more relaxed...

SSRIs are known to cause weight gain. Wellbutrin, OTOH, can cause weight loss in some people. And some meds have no impact either way. Definitely something to talk to your doc about.

• Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    I originally lost 7st in 9 months on Slimming World back in 2010. It was my first time losing weight and it just fell off me.

My weight crept up slowly and in 2013 I was diagnosed with under active thyroid. (In no way am I saying this is linked btw, I’m not a health professional and no health professional has ever given me cause to believe it is linked.)

Losing weight since then however has been tougher and slower which often meant I gave up through frustration of not seeing the same large losses as I did the first time around.

I do a lot of personal research before embarking on changing my eating habits as I am keen to feed my body in the best way, while also having some freedom to have small splurges here and there.

In Feb 2018 I decided I would use MFP to monitor calories, but with only a small deficit so that I could find the right balance between eating food I wanted and eating healthy. I eat up to 1800 cals a day as I want to ensure I have a healthy metabolism if possible.

Changing my mindset in this way (I.e any loss no matter how small is gonna add up eventually to something big) has definitely been my turning point. I find it easier to stick to as can eat a healthy breakfast (avocado, Greek yoghurt, nuts etc) healthy-ish lunch (sandwich and homemade veg soup or a big salad) and if I’m feeling lazy at night or eating out, I can have a small indulgence if I need it (although I often try to swap out fries for baked potato, salad or steamed veg at a restaurant)

I am concerned that if I try to get my weight loss moving quicker by going to 1200 cals per day, I might screw up my metabolism. But I am also trying to change my habits, not just get a quick fix. I think that if there is even the small possibility that I would have to stick to 1200 cals forever or risk putting on weight if I have more, just for the sake of quick weight loss, I’d rather lose it slow and be able to enjoy food.

Oh and I have gone from 252lb to 201lb in the past 12 months eating with the small deficit and very limited amounts of exercise

Hopefully you’ll find what works for you and let’s you enjoy your new eating habits
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!