Maintaining at 2700 CALS🤮

2»

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I maintain around 2400-2500 (I don't log in maintenance), and I'm 5'0" 118lbs, but I'm breastfeeding so that gives me a few extra calories.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    [quote=

What do you do that needs the calories? Totally not judging![/quote]

I'm actually not quite sure, I'm generally pretty active during the day, I don't sleep much because i have a 6 month old and a 3 year old. I work out about 60-90 minutes a day (rowing, running, kettlebells, weights, plyometrics).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Jeez...I'm a 6'2" male and weigh 170 pounds. I maintain at 2300 calories! 2700 is sooo many.

If you are 6'2" and maintaining at 2300 calories then you aren't very active at all. I am 6'2" 195" and I maintain anywhere from 3500-4000 calories. Its pretty irresponsible to tell someone they are eating too many calories without knowing their activity level or anything else about them.

Cool your jets there, turbo. Mine wasn't a statement of judgement, it was a statement of fact. 2700 calories is a ton (and I'm very jealous). For my maintenance, you are correct that 2300 calories is my basal burn before exercise. I run about 35 miles a week and eat all of that back.

With that mileage, and 2300 being your BMR, you likely ARE eating 2700 calories, if not more, since you say you eat your calories back -- I don't understand why you're jealous.

I'm jealous because I need to run 5 days a week in order to eat 2700 calories a day. If I interpret OP's original statement properly, she gets 2700 calories with no cardio involved...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Jeez...I'm a 6'2" male and weigh 170 pounds. I maintain at 2300 calories! 2700 is sooo many.

If you are 6'2" and maintaining at 2300 calories then you aren't very active at all. I am 6'2" 195" and I maintain anywhere from 3500-4000 calories. Its pretty irresponsible to tell someone they are eating too many calories without knowing their activity level or anything else about them.

Cool your jets there, turbo. Mine wasn't a statement of judgement, it was a statement of fact. 2700 calories is a ton (and I'm very jealous). For my maintenance, you are correct that 2300 calories is my basal burn before exercise. I run about 35 miles a week and eat all of that back.

With that mileage, and 2300 being your BMR, you likely ARE eating 2700 calories, if not more, since you say you eat your calories back -- I don't understand why you're jealous.

I'm jealous because I need to run 5 days a week in order to eat 2700 calories a day. If I interpret OP's original statement properly, she gets 2700 calories with no cardio involved...

Despite posting in the Maintaining weight forum OP also states she is going to be eating at a surplus at that level though, how big that surplus is isn't clear. How good the advice is to eat at a surplus is also not clear.... It could be good advice depending on goals or it could be the often repeated and erroneous "you must be in a calorie surplus to gain muscle". Only OP knows.

Personally at 5'9" & around 170lbs I get to eat in a wide range of roughly 2750 - 3500 a day to maintain but a lot of that is because I'm active and cycle a lot.
    6y50nz1bgxhf.png

(OP - to answer your questions I really don't find that level of eating at all difficult, I just eat "normal food" in appropriate quantities, I don't have to consciously choose high calorie density foods but I do enjoy starchy carbs. My preferred pattern is 2 or 3 meals plus snacks. I've also never had to deliberately gain weight to build muscle either.)
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    I maintain high too, generally.

My issue is food volume. Eating a lot of food really makes me feel bad, so I aim for higher fats (e.g. nut butters) vs. "volume" lower calorie, less dense foods
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    2,700kcal/day is roughly the same as my maintenance...6'0'' 165lbs male. 2,700kcal/day TDEE seems a bit on the high side (just judging by your photo) unless you are very tall & have large activity/exercise & NEAT contributions to your TDEE (very possible).

You are not going to hit 2,700kcal/day eating "clean" bulk vegetables/salads unless doused with copious dressings, oils, etc. Liquids/less solid foods to complement if needed
  • GratefulWayFarer
    GratefulWayFarer Posts: 61 Member
    I'm 6"3 and 190lbs and to go upto 220lbs I need to eat around 2800 apparently?? Aren't men meant to have a higher base calorie intake than women too?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    draelsaid wrote: »
    I'm 6"3 and 190lbs and to go upto 220lbs I need to eat around 2800 apparently?? Aren't men meant to have a higher base calorie intake than women too?

Yes but that also depends on your activity level. I'm 5'3" and 113 pounds and my maintenance calories are anywhere from 2,000 to 2,300 on average. People underestimate how much any movement, even just walking, can add to one's TDEE.
  • Tolstolobik
    Tolstolobik Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2019
    Maxematics wrote: »

Yes but that also depends on your activity level. I'm 5'3" and 113 pounds and my maintenance calories are anywhere from 2,000 to 2,300 on average. People underestimate how much any movement, even just walking, can add to one's TDEE.

What source do you use to estimate your TDEE? I am 5'5" and 115-117 lbs. I average 12-14,000 steps a day. I do occasional squats and push-ups here and there... nothing too strenuous. My basic step counter shows that I burn 1900-2000. Should I trust that number?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    What source do you use to estimate your TDEE? I am 5'5" and 115-117 lbs. I average 12-14,000 steps a day. I do occasional squats and push-ups here and there... nothing too strenuous. My basic step counter shows that I burn 1900-2000. Should I trust that number?

So you're probably in the middle of very active purely based on steps.

Your watch is also saying you're in the middle of very active based on the activity it has been detecting.

Whether this really does translate into 1900-2000 Calories based on your particular body and on how you log calories remains an open question which will be resolved by observing your weight trend over time.

You won't know until you try!
  • Tolstolobik
    PAV8888 wrote: »

So you're probably in the middle of very active purely based on steps.

Your watch is also saying you're in the middle of very active based on the activity it has been detecting.

Whether this really does translate into 1900-2000 Calories based on your particular body and on how you log calories remains an open question which will be resolved by observing your weight trend over time.

You won't know until you try!

Excellent advice! Thank you!
  • Tolstolobik

My TDEE comes from years of Fitbit data and tracking my food. I think you should trust the numbers and make adjustments as needed after you have enough data.

Thank you for your helpful reply! I will keep a close eye on the trend overtime. Mathematical maintenance is a new frontier for me.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    @_piaffe sorry to hijack thread. But you have the most stunning arms ever. What the heck did it take to get to looking like that?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Cool your jets there, turbo.

LMAO funniest comment Ive read in a while :D