Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

PCOS • low carb • need support

an0393naan0393na Posts: 840Member Member Posts: 840Member Member
Hello,
I have PCOS and need to be on a low carb diet, I've been on Optifast for a month or so but I think it's starting to disagree with me...

I really can't go vegetarian like some PCOS people do, I love my meat!

I've lost 17kg already but have another 10-15kg to go...

Is there anyone in the same boat or know what PCOS is like? Or anyone want to send a FR to help me stay on track please do!

I need a lot of support 😕

Replies

  • Fatamie85Fatamie85 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    Hey I have PCOS also and struggle with weight gain and loosing weight! I’ve never heard of Optifast before, what is it?

    I’m doing slimfast atm just to give my weight loss a kick start!

    How are you getting on?
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 947Member, Premium Member Posts: 947Member, Premium Member
    an0393na wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have PCOS and need to be on a low carb diet, I've been on Optifast for a month or so but I think it's starting to disagree with me...

    I really can't go vegetarian like some PCOS people do, I love my meat!

    I've lost 17kg already but have another 10-15kg to go...

    Is there anyone in the same boat or know what PCOS is like? Or anyone want to send a FR to help me stay on track please do!

    I need a lot of support 😕

    My wife struggles with PCOS too. She didn't need to become a vegetarian or go on a Very Low Calorie Diet. She visited a nutritionist who came up with a PCOS friendly meal plan for her. Lots of vegetables, but ample amounts of meats too. She's also allowed carbs, just whole carbs and a lower level than a normal person.

    How long has it taken you to lose those 17kg? I hope more than a month. My concern about doing something like Optifast, in addition to the worry about it being very low calorie, is how are you going to maintain when you aren't on it? You can't take their meals and shakes for the rest of your life. Losing weight at a slower pace, but one that is more sustainable as a lifestyle change may be a better option.
  • accjulieaccjulie Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    I've been strict ketogenic for over a year and a half and I've heard that it's perfect for those with PCOS. Check out the Facebook page called Ketogenic Success and request to join the page. Then you can search the posts for PCOS. Good luck to you!!
  • an0393naan0393na Posts: 840Member Member Posts: 840Member Member
    Fatamie85 wrote: »
    Hey I have PCOS also and struggle with weight gain and loosing weight! I’ve never heard of Optifast before, what is it?

    I’m doing slimfast atm just to give my weight loss a kick start!

    How are you getting on?

    Optifast is good I like it because it's coffee flavoured so I get my coffee kick and breakfast all in one

    I'm getting on okay but weightloss has slowed up and sometimes I feel gross
  • an0393naan0393na Posts: 840Member Member Posts: 840Member Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    an0393na wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have PCOS and need to be on a low carb diet, I've been on Optifast for a month or so but I think it's starting to disagree with me...

    I really can't go vegetarian like some PCOS people do, I love my meat!

    I've lost 17kg already but have another 10-15kg to go...

    Is there anyone in the same boat or know what PCOS is like? Or anyone want to send a FR to help me stay on track please do!

    I need a lot of support 😕

    My wife struggles with PCOS too. She didn't need to become a vegetarian or go on a Very Low Calorie Diet. She visited a nutritionist who came up with a PCOS friendly meal plan for her. Lots of vegetables, but ample amounts of meats too. She's also allowed carbs, just whole carbs and a lower level than a normal person.

    How long has it taken you to lose those 17kg? I hope more than a month. My concern about doing something like Optifast, in addition to the worry about it being very low calorie, is how are you going to maintain when you aren't on it? You can't take their meals and shakes for the rest of your life. Losing weight at a slower pace, but one that is more sustainable as a lifestyle change may be a better option.

    It's taken me over a year to loose 17kg... I just wanted to use Optifast as a kick starter to get motivated about weightloss and after a few goals I'd feel I'm winning so want to keep loosing weight I guess
  • an0393naan0393na Posts: 840Member Member Posts: 840Member Member
    accjulie wrote: »
    I've been strict ketogenic for over a year and a half and I've heard that it's perfect for those with PCOS. Check out the Facebook page called Ketogenic Success and request to join the page. Then you can search the posts for PCOS. Good luck to you!!

    Thanks you I'll check it out
  • SanriohippieSanriohippie Posts: 31Member Member Posts: 31Member Member
    I am actually on a medium carb diet I lean more towards a non strict vegetarian lifestyle. On occasion I will have chicken or meat, but not as often.
    I ONLY continue with this because it has subsided most if not all my PCOS symptoms.
    Best of luck!!
  • BabeMeister83BabeMeister83 Posts: 55Member Member Posts: 55Member Member
    I have PCOS, and have struggled for years with my weight. I went and seen a weight loss specialist/ nutritionist a while back ago and he put me on the keto diet. It has helped me quite a bit.
  • xxzenabxxxxzenabxx Posts: 392Member Member Posts: 392Member Member
    I have PCOS and I would just recommend eating 100g of carbs or less per day. Eat veggies, fruits, whole grains, meat, egg, fish, dairy, nuts and seeds. Don’t over complicate it. We have insulin resistance so do strength training as well. Also do not cut calories too low as that will spike cortisol levels which will further mess up your hormones so you won’t be able to lose as much fat!
  • an0393naan0393na Posts: 840Member Member Posts: 840Member Member
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I have PCOS and I would just recommend eating 100g of carbs or less per day. Eat veggies, fruits, whole grains, meat, egg, fish, dairy, nuts and seeds. Don’t over complicate it. We have insulin resistance so do strength training as well. Also do not cut calories too low as that will spike cortisol levels which will further mess up your hormones so you won’t be able to lose as much fat!

    Thank you! This heaps alot
Sign In or Register to comment.