Phirrgus wrote: »
    h7463 wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Bread is awesome! I'm not too fond of the commercial versions that list 'wood pulp..cellulose' in the ingredients, though. I prefer to get my fibers elsewhere. My sourdough starters are hibernating in the fridge, and I bake my own breads, not fillers needed.

I used to make all my bread, usually a whole grains recipe, until I entered it into the recipe builder and realized how calorie dense it was. No more homemade bread for me :p

That's part of the reason for the wood pulp. It makes it less calories on the volume. All cheating for the labels.. :D
    I have never noticed wood pulp on a label. I am going to run if I do lol. Something just wrong about that.

They often call it 'cellulose powder'... I guess wood pulp/sawdust would probably be disturbing to read for customers....haha....You can also find it in grated cheese (the kind in containers, not the fresh in bags), among other things.

Cellulose is in plants, are you going to avoid fruit and veg as well?
    Well, it seems legit with a quick google..
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703834804576300991196803916
    What is often in shredded cheese besides cheese?

Powdered cellulose: minuscule pieces of wood pulp or other plant fibers that coat the cheese and keep it from clumping by blocking out moisture.

Plant fibers are in virtually everything I eat. It's really not a scary thing, despite the efforts of some in the "Food Babe"-style blogging world to make it seem so.

pinuplove wrote: »
    Bread is awesome! I'm not too fond of the commercial versions that list 'wood pulp..cellulose' in the ingredients, though. I prefer to get my fibers elsewhere. My sourdough starters are hibernating in the fridge, and I bake my own breads, not fillers needed.

I used to make all my bread, usually a whole grains recipe, until I entered it into the recipe builder and realized how calorie dense it was. No more homemade bread for me :p

That's part of the reason for the wood pulp. It makes it less calories on the volume. All cheating for the labels.. :D
    I have never noticed wood pulp on a label. I am going to run if I do lol. Something just wrong about that.

They often call it 'cellulose powder'... I guess wood pulp/sawdust would probably be disturbing to read for customers....haha....You can also find it in grated cheese (the kind in containers, not the fresh in bags), among other things.

Well, it seems legit with a quick google..
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703834804576300991196803916
    What is often in shredded cheese besides cheese?

Powdered cellulose: minuscule pieces of wood pulp or other plant fibers that coat the cheese and keep it from clumping by blocking out moisture.

Yes, but a coating of cellulose isn't going to 'bulk up' the product in any significant way. It's there to prevent the shredded cheese from sticking together. I avoid it for things like pizza or homemade mac and cheese because it tends to interfere with the melting. But not out of any fear of 'cellulose' as an ingredient.
    Oh so this is a common thing that's been around a while? I have to admit what I first read was a bit alarming, but it's starting to look like another case of "I didn't know what I didn't know" and wasn't sure of the question either :D

Ok, I may not be contributing to the thread as such, but at least I'm learning something new ...again lol. Thanks for the explains...

Yes, plant fibers have been around forever. What we're seeing is now is that some companies are *adding* plant fibers to foods to achieve some specific results. But we've been eating plant fibers for the entire time we've been a species and the species from which we've descended ate them as well. They're one of the very most traditional things we could be eating, so I wouldn't worry about them in cheese. If we're going to judge foods by how long they've been included in the human diet, cheese is the relative newcomer.

well, this is where I (embarrassingly) admit I don't make logical connections sometimes. It makes perfect sense the way you word it - it was initially seeing (paraphrase) "Wood in food" that got me....

At least I'm consistent. This site is where I began to really learn the basics of what's real and what is just crap marketing and woo - so the learning continues.

Thanks for being patient in all your replies folks :)

I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. I've also gotten worried about things that I later concluded were no big deal. And that (IMO) is the pernicious way about how food fearmongers operate. They take things and deliberately phrase them in a way that our common sense immediately concludes "Oh, that's bad!" Almost everyone's mind is going to reject the image of eating wood, right?

They use the way our brains work to get their foot in the door, talking about yoga mats in bread and wood in cheese and rocket fuel in Twinkies.

This is a great bit of education for me regarding using a more deliberate approach to understanding what I'm reading. You're explanation makes good sense and it borders on insidious. Hopefully I'll begin reading with a bit less biased eye, or at the least, ask a question if I'm not sure.

Don't worry, you'll soon be as jaded and cynical when reading internet 'articles' as the rest of us ;)

And here I thought I couldn't be any more jaded after listening to the evening news :D
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    edited March 2019
    Runner here.
    I grew up eating mostly traditional whole wheat bread (the hearty kind that's made from only a handful of ingredients and tends to go bad in a couple days) and real sourdough bread (made with cultures only, no yeast). These are the kinds of breads that I still gravitate to today.

Much of the whole wheat bread in stores today is squishy and soft like white bread. Sometimes I wonder what they have to do to get it that way, but since I don't care for it, I don't stress over the "processing" or whatever.

My absolute favorite bread today is Food for Life's Ezekiel Bread. It has the hearty texture I prefer and it's made from sprouted whole wheat and other grains and legumes, so besides liking the taste, I also feel good about the nutrients it provides. (Trader Joe's had the best price, in case you live near one, and store it in the freezer or fridge since it goes bad quickly.)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Second the Ezekiel Bread! I also like Oroweat Double Fiber whole wheat bread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited April 2019

Adding sawdust, a manufacturing waste byproduct, to bread so it can be marketed as higher fiber/lower calorie, or historically as a way to dupe the poor, is different.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/10/31/business/uncertain-hour/how-wood-got-our-food-then-out-it-then-back-it-again

...Typically, there are just four ingredients defining breadiness: flour, water, salt and yeast. But breadmakers have long added another ingredient to even the simplest loaves. Wood. Sawdust. Wood fiber. In fact, there’s been some kind of wood in all kinds of food, from at least the dawn of the industrial era, up to today.

The story of edible (or less-than-edible) wood is the story of food regulation in a nutshell. Or maybe in a lumber yard.

The story starts in the 1700s, along the banks of Europe’s rivers, among mills and breadmakers who were trying to solve a problem: How do you feed the poor, cheaply?

“At some point some clever miller was like, ‘Hey, what if we combine the flour with sawdust?’” said Penn State food historian Bryan McDonald. “‘We're selling stuff by weight, and people don't really have a good way of knowing what’s flour and what’s sawdust.”

Wheat was scarce in Britain, but there was sawdust all over. Sometimes sawmills and gristmills even shared space.

Advocates for the poor weren’t as excited about this so-called “tree flour.” It started effecting customers’ health and the bread market, McDonald said. Mills and bakers that used sawdust, chalk and other fillers could undercut those that didn’t, and put them out of business.

Eventually, increasing government inspections and consumer demand gave rise to companies that promoted unadulterated food, like Nabisco and Quaker Oats in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hi guys. A lot of people these days are really against processed foods like bread (even if it's whole grain/gluten free/whatever), so I'm curious to hear some opinions on how people think that whole grain bread compares to other carb sources like lentils, sweet potato, rice, quinoa, etc (OTHER than the difference in protein/nutrients, I get that -- but some bread does have protein). Say a person is more satisfied with having a piece of toast than having some quinoa (and usually the toast is lower calorie anyways)... are they better off with having the 70 calorie piece of BREAD *gasp* or having a 150 calorie serving of quinoa? What's so bad about bread? As a high level runner, I need carbs, and I like bread. But should I be trying to replace it with other carb sources, even if they're less satisfying to me? I feel like I would just end up eating more and then not being satisfied...

Nothing wrong with bread. Some bread is more processed than others. Some bread has more nutritional value than others.

I have Dave's Killer Bread 21 grain for my sandwich bread...it's pretty minimally processed and has lots of quality nutrition. I also like sour dough which is very good for your gut as it is probiotic.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    I eat carbs everyday, almost exclusively from fruit, vegetables and dairy. I'll eat a slice of toast or english muffin on occasion. The quantity I eat is determined by the control I keep over my blood glucose. Breads have a tendency to put glucose into my blood at a faster rate than the other carbs, and it takes longer for me to recover. So I limit them. I used to eat grains, in one form or another, at every meal. But now they are a hinderance to my mission, so I avoid them as necessary. I'm not denying myself, I'm making healthy choices for myself.