Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Snack Alternatives

aperis2615aperis2615 Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
So I’m a big fruit and veggie person. I don’t really like peanut butter, eat trail mix rarely, my protein is usually limited to grilled chicken and similar lean meats, I’m not big on bread unless it’s something like multigrain/flat and even that’s in really small portions, and so on. I’m looking for a snack alternative to pretzels, preferably late night that’s lower in calories but is gonna be semi satisfying. Any advice?

Replies

• domeofstarsdomeofstars Posts: 355Member Member Posts: 355Member Member
    Nuts, pumpkin seeds (pepitas), sugar free, fat free yoghurt; a scoop of protein powder with water.
  • nicolajibsennicolajibsen Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    Protein fluff!!!
    1 scoop protein powder (whey or casein)
    100g frozen berries/fruit
    100ml low-fat milk
    30g eggwhite
    1/2 tsp xanthan gum
    (Optional) Flavdrops or spices
    (Optional) Toppings of choice (coconut flakes, crushed rice cakes, fresh fruit, granola or whatever)

Blend berries and milk to a smooth consistency.
    Add in the rest of your ingredients and whisk like your life depends on it (use either and electric mixer or a food processor).
    Whisk it for 5-10 minutes, its volume will increase A LOT! So pick a big bowl!

Enjoy with your fav toppings!

Ideas:
    Frozen banana and chocolate protein
    Frozen banana and vanilla protein
    Frozen berries and vanilla/berry protein
    Only your own creativity sets the limit!

Enjoy!
  • geltner1geltner1 Posts: 65Member Member Posts: 65Member Member
    For a savory snack, roasted unsalted cashews are one choice. They are not low in calories but if you measure it could work well since they are very nutritious.
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Posts: 653Member Member Posts: 653Member Member
    Air popped popcorn

aperis2615 wrote: »
    So I’m a big fruit and veggie person. I don’t really like peanut butter, eat trail mix rarely, my protein is usually limited to grilled chicken and similar lean meats, I’m not big on bread unless it’s something like multigrain/flat and even that’s in really small portions, and so on. I’m looking for a snack alternative to pretzels, preferably late night that’s lower in calories but is gonna be semi satisfying. Any advice?

Since you are a big fruit & veggie eater, a piece of fruit and/or raw veggies. Laughing cow cheese wedge and rice cakes. Raw walnuts or almonds. Nuts are calorie dense, but really good for you.
  • stricklee11stricklee11 Posts: 69Member Member Posts: 69Member Member
    Rice cakes, popcorn, baked chips, baked sweet potatoes, berries/apple slices, yogurt, oatmeal...
  • zeejane03zeejane03 Posts: 542Member Member Posts: 542Member Member
    My go-to snack is a serving of low fat cottage cheese with a serving of crushed (canned) pineapple. Around 160 calories and pretty filling.
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 929Member Member Posts: 929Member Member
    Nuts, pumpkin seeds (pepitas), sugar free, fat free yoghurt; a scoop of protein powder with water.

Are nuts and pumpkin seeds lower in calories than pretzels? I'm always appalled at how calorific they are; it seems unfair that healthy fats aren't less calorific than unhealthy ones :)
  • MelanieCN77MelanieCN77 Posts: 3,116Member Member Posts: 3,116Member Member
    If I have 3-500 cals going at the end of the day I make a bowl for myself with a sliced apple, crackers, walnuts and an ounce or so of cheese.
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 929Member Member Posts: 929Member Member
    It might actually be worth checking out some of the new varieties of crispbread type things.

I know, crispbread, ugh, flavourless crunch, I also bear the scars from previous diets... but I bought a box of Finn Crisp's sourdough rye the other day because my parents had them with soup and I found them actively tasty!
  • pearshapedmumpearshapedmum Posts: 124Member Member Posts: 124Member Member
    Baked apples/pears with cinnamon if you have enough calories available, which I'm guessing you must do! I love a good bowl of porridge as well some times