Which rowing machine brand is better?

2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for voting! Actually, I'm only beginning copywriter. So I decided to add your opinion to the article in form of feedback. Here is what I'm working at https://askyourfitnessquestion.com/rowing-machine-brands-sunny-health-fitness-vs-stamina-vs-concept2/ What do you think? What would you recommend to add?

Check for typos (which I make all the time in here, but this is neither professional writing nor is it academic writing). You put "Concept2 started in 1976 in the back of a bread cart." as a pro. I'm not sure how that's a pro (especially the second phrase in that clause). It's interesting information, but it's not a pro.
    "When Dick and Pete Dreissigacker, new from Olympic practice, began producing composite racing oars. " this needs to be totally reworded. It also looks like it's essentially plagiarized as all you did was replace "fresh" with "new". From the Concept2's Linkedin page and from the About Concept 2 section of their website:
    The company began in 1976 in the back of a bread truck when Dick and Pete Dreissigacker, fresh from Olympic training, started making composite racing oars.

The following sentences in your paragraph first three paragraphs about C2 are also almost identical to Concept2's website. Remember, paraphrasing is more than just replacing one or two words in a sentence.

Outside of the really egregious plagiarism, there are a number of sentences that don't have independent clauses and there are some conjugation mistakes ("Our experts’ opinion" should be "experts' opinions). In short, it needs an overhaul. I wouldn't have been nearly as harsh (though I wouldn't really call this harsh given what you wrote and who you wrote for) had there not been the blatant plagiarism.

And before anyone gets frustrated and says that I raked the OP over the coals, they asked what we thought and for recommendations. Also, journalistic integrity is important and plagiarism doesn't fit with that model.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Thanks for voting! Actually, I'm only beginning copywriter. So I decided to add your opinion to the article in form of feedback. Here is what I'm working at https://askyourfitnessquestion.com/rowing-machine-brands-sunny-health-fitness-vs-stamina-vs-concept2/ What do you think? What would you recommend to add?

I would consider it profoundly unethical and inappropriate for you to copy my comments as feedback from here to another site that I know nothing about and don't participate in.

It was a little sketchy even using this site as a research resource (not sure the TOS would support it), but to copy our comments??!? Just no. So wrong. Others may disagree, but that's my opinon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2019
    Concept 2 is the gold standard.

I have a Stamina air rower and it works fine for me, but rowing isn't my primary exercise modality and only something my wife and I do every once in awhile if we want to break up the monotony of using our indoor bike trainer for training indoors. I think I've been on the rower maybe 3 or 4 times since October. If I was a dedicated rower, I'd definitely opt for the Concept 2.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

I entirely missed this part until AnnPT pointed it out. Not getting permission from people and not being transparent about why you're asking for people's reviews is exceedingly unethical (and that's on top of the plagiarism that I already posted about).

@askyourfitnessquestion I'm assuming you have at least a BA right? What grade would you give yourself if this was an assignment you were graded on? What grade would you give yourself if this was a final? Honestly it looks like it hasn't been edited for a whole host of reasons (which is unfortunate given that you're a copywriter) - it needs a copy editor. It's also an (un)ethical minefield. And yes, I realize that you're a beginner, but these are mistakes that beginners shouldn't be making.
  • aokoye wrote: »

Check for typos (which I make all the time in here, but this is neither professional writing nor is it academic writing). You put "Concept2 started in 1976 in the back of a bread cart." as a pro. I'm not sure how that's a pro (especially the second phrase in that clause). It's interesting information, but it's not a pro.
    "When Dick and Pete Dreissigacker, new from Olympic practice, began producing composite racing oars. " this needs to be totally reworded. It also looks like it's essentially plagiarized as all you did was replace "fresh" with "new". From the Concept2's Linkedin page and from the About Concept 2 section of their website:
    The company began in 1976 in the back of a bread truck when Dick and Pete Dreissigacker, fresh from Olympic training, started making composite racing oars.

The following sentences in your paragraph first three paragraphs about C2 are also almost identical to Concept2's website. Remember, paraphrasing is more than just replacing one or two words in a sentence.

Outside of the really egregious plagiarism, there are a number of sentences that don't have independent clauses and there are some conjugation mistakes ("Our experts’ opinion" should be "experts' opinions). In short, it needs an overhaul. I wouldn't have been nearly as harsh (though I wouldn't really call this harsh given what you wrote and who you wrote for) had there not been the blatant plagiarism.

And before anyone gets frustrated and says that I raked the OP over the coals, they asked what we thought and for recommendations. Also, journalistic integrity is important and plagiarism doesn't fit with that model.

Thank you so much! I'll pay attention to your recommendations!
  • Ive tried a lot including water ones. I bought a concept 2!
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    The Concept 2 sets the standard.

But the Horizon Oxford is also up there as an alternative.