For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,599 Member
    My mom’s carer made a fab veggie side tonight of finely sliced white cabbage stir fried with a good dose of vinegar and a tiny pinch of sugar.
  • acpgee
    We were at a North Eastern style Chinese restaurant last night and a dish of deep fried cauliflower was really good. No batter, just salt, so very little oil was absorbed.
  • acpgee
    We were in Canada last week and bought some huge ripe sweet strawberries. They were labelled as having been grown in California, but no cultivar name was provided. That's different from the UK where the cultivar is always named on the label.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    We were in Canada last week and bought some huge ripe sweet strawberries. They were labelled as having been grown in California, but no cultivar name was provided. That's different from the UK where the cultivar is always named on the label.

Cultivars aren't usually on the label in my part of the US, either. Some produce is brand-named, but that may not be exactly synonymous with a cultivar in the strict sense in all cases, I'd guess. Occasionally I'll see a label/sign with something I know to be a cultivar on it. It's common with apples, as one counter-example. Most things not, though.

My best guess is that this would be the pattern in the rest of the US, as well - it has been in the few places I've grocery-shopped in other than my home state.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Spring at the farmers market, but it was really hot (around 90 F / 32 C). I got a cucumber lime mojito ice pop because of the heat . . . and these ultra-ripe sweet beauties because it's Spring in growing season terms, despite the ultra-summer temperature. (Week before last, we had frost overnight!)

furz2i6jpgwg.jpg
  • acpgee
    Do potatoes count as produce? I discovered the quickest way to make great mash. You do need a potato ricer (which I bought for making gnocchi).

Prick whole baking potatoes in a couple of places with fork to prevent explosions in the microwave. Zap approximately 8 minutes until soft all over. Cut the hot potatoes in half and put cut side down in the potato ricer and press. Discard the flattened skin of each half potato. Stir in milk, butter and salt until you get the texture/taste you want. You can warm up the mash for a minute in the microwave, if necessary, before serving.

Variation: Greek mash with lemon, olive oil and salt.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    Strawberries in my area have finally arrived, and because of the wet weather, they're probably the worst in recent memory. Oh well, it happens. Cheers
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,310 Member
    we love squash & I especially love zucchini. Our neighbor gave us 2 huge white zucchini. I've never heard of it. Haven't tried it yet. Anyone had any before?
  • acpgee
    So I promised some colleagues who have never eaten artichokes to make them in August at a dinner party. The logistical puzzle is how to cook six artichokes? I normally can simmer two or three in a pasta pan. Will be experimenting with the microwave and sous vide wand which I can clip onto a big bucket between now and August.

If anyone has a technique for doing artichokes for a large number of people let me know. Also ideas for what else to serve after a starter of steamed whole artichokes with hollandaise or alioli for dipping.
  • acpgee
    @Evamutt
    I remember seeing this episode of the Stanley Tucci travel show and wanted to try this. I think I will experiment with tossing zucchini slices in oil and air frying rather the mess/hassle and calories of deep frying.
    https://pastaevangelists.com/blogs/blog/spaghetti-alla-nerano
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,152 Member
    So I promised some colleagues who have never eaten artichokes to make them in August at a dinner party. The logistical puzzle is how to cook six artichokes? I normally can simmer two or three in a pasta pan. Will be experimenting with the microwave and sous vide wand which I can clip onto a big bucket between now and August.

If anyone has a technique for doing artichokes for a large number of people let me know. Also ideas for what else to serve after a starter of steamed whole artichokes with hollandaise or alioli for dipping.

I usually steam my artichokes. Do you have a canning pot or other large stockpot? Put your steamer in the bottom. Put the artichokes in upside down so the steam rises into them. Make sure to keep enough water in the bottom so the pot doesn't run dry. You should be able to steam a lot of 'chokes in a big pot. I can do four in the Dutch oven I use to make soup. I bet I could do more than a dozen in a canning pot.

• acpgee
    Microwaved artichokes were good, but there is no way I could do six simultaneously for a dinner party.
    wuhk4rrgh5k6.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,152 Member
    Microwaved artichokes were good, but there is no way I could do six simultaneously for a dinner party.
    wuhk4rrgh5k6.jpeg

Steam is your friend. Get your steamer going.