Let my Personal Trainer go today

2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    tattoomary wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm sorry this was your experience. Not all personal trainers are this way. Good for you for getting out of it though. Sounds like he was pushing you into an emotional spiral that was really unhealthy.

I think he can work for others....One question never asked is how is your mental health :neutral: If he knew I have chronic anxiety ,and was on antidepressants for years (off them completed for a few months now :smiley: ) it would prob be obvious that I wouldn't be able for hard core.
    Nah, no-one who can't comprehend daily weight fluctuations without catastrophising about them can operate well as a "body transformation" advisor.

It's his job to provide a rational, informed viewpoint on his clients' progress; he's not supposed to make them panic more about an overnight water weight gain!

Thank you- this was my thought. This person either doesn't know or doesn't care how the human body works... not sure which one would be worse. :/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Sounds like he was just a lousy trainer. I've never had a trainer do any of that. My trainer had me weigh in at my session and that was it and he would certainly not bat an eye at a normal weight fluctuation. I wouldn't walk away from this thinking this is what trainers do and how they act. I've had 3 and never experienced any of that.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    tattoomary wrote: »
    I've never had a personal trainer before...and I underestimated how tough it would be !!
    I only met him once a week...he then gave me a general eating plan (works out at 1200 cals a day), walk 5 days a week for 40min and do toning twice.
    So on the face of it all very doable. The problem was his intensity !
    I had to weigh in twice a week (and send him the pic)..if I was up .2 of a lb Id get a long message about not being dedicated enough, not giving 100%, that he was giving me 120% and expected the same from me.
    I followed as best I could and lost 1stone since January. No drink, no eating out etc
    I've found the tiredness a big problem. I haven't had the energy to do anything, and the repercussions of that is Im cross as a dog (according to my kids...I have 4 young kids!)
    I told him I thought my cals were too low..but he wanted big weight loss fast.
    I tried to break up with him 2 weeks ago but he rang me and talked me into staying...with a big long lecture about being a quitter etc.
    I know his job is to motivate me but I found my anxiety around weighing in was sky high. I DREADED weighing in every time. If I was slightly up id eat one meal the next day to try and get it down.
    I was heading into a spiral of over weighing in, fasting and then binging !!! Not a place I want to go.
    I could not sleep last night with the anxiety ( I have chronic anxiety) of how I was going to tell him I no longer wanted to continue with him. I was thinking up every excuse that I could use...even sharing that I suffer from chronic anxiety. In the end I just said I wanted out!

I've upped my cals to 1420 a day...will continue with my walks and do pilates twice a week.
    I hope to continue my weight loss...at a more reasonable and sustainable loss (Ive two stone more to lose)

Just sharing my experience. I think I was naïve about what a person trainer actually does...and as someone who suffers from chronic anxiety don't think im suited to one.

Thanks for listening :blush:

You did the right thing. As others have said, not all personal trainers are like that. I have a PT and he's great. We don't do weigh-ins because I point-blank refuse too. Why? Because I weigh myself, and log the weight, everyday, am an adult and shoulder the weightloss responsibility. If I lie, I lie to myself. I told him my limits - no burpees, I have ITB issues on my right left, careful with my left shoulder and I need motivation. He asks about my eating habits, and has never "made me" prove myself (he wouldn't dare!). A perfect PT fit for me :smile:

If you wish to have a PT in the future, meet with them first and make sure you spell out YOUR rules to them. In most cases, they want to know your boundaries since it's all about you, not them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Every trainer works differently. I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you will not let this stop you from reaching your goals and possibly getting another, more supportive, trainer.