Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

1141516171820»

Replies

• WiseandcuriousWiseandcurious Posts: 713Member Member Posts: 713Member Member
    Morganafly wrote: »
    I try to forget my age and act how I feel. I am never going to act or dress old, ever. I read this poem when I was a young girl and I thought to myself, yep thats gonna be me.

Warning
    When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along the public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick the flowers irT other people's gardens
    And learn to spit.
    You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    Or only bread and pickle for a week
    And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
    But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street
    And set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
    But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old and start to wear purple.

From Selected Poems by Jenny Joseph, 1961

Oh god, this is one of my favourite poems! Also read it first as a young girl.

This and the fact that further up are not one but two Terry Pratchet fans - this is one if my favourite threads (and the thread itself is very good, even without the lovely literary hijacks).

OK I'll stop gushing now. But, well, expressing delight freely is one of the things that keeps me young :)
  • LoveyCharLoveyChar Posts: 953Member Member Posts: 953Member Member
    So much insight and positivity here. Judgement should be left out and focus should be on spirit. When I was doing classroom observation for my teacher's certification program, I saw a teacher probably in her late 50's wearing a skirt with varicose veins mapped out all over the back of her legs and in my head I said "oh my goodness, she has no business wearing that skirt." I feel bad just thinking that because once I got to know her, I realized her beauty came from within. I'm 43 and I have varicose veins and I'm sure I'll get more, but I'm not going to stop wearing skirts and I hope people don't judge me the way I judged her but if they do, I can handle it. I learnt my lesson. I think it's so personal to everyone. I am embarassed by my few grays and I dye them but some people feel confident with gray. I'm learning more and more to respect people for who they are on the inside and less of what they look like on the outside.
  • vggbvggb Posts: 117Member Member Posts: 117Member Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I would apologize for the shameless self-promotion of river running, but it's one of my passions.

I love rafting and am lucky enough to live there with the Snake, Salmon, Locksaw, Selway and Clearwater rivers within minutes to a few hours of where I live. Now I'm bragging shamelessly too.

I'm about to turn 64, still go on the river, often in my open face kayak, many times alone (in the lower Snake) and still ride horseback weekly.

I feel in my 30's, look more my age but heck, I am afterall turning 64 and proud of my "youth" B)

edited March 12
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Posts: 858Member Member Posts: 858Member Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much longer I can resist with offers like this one :p

2b5yri26o4x7.jpg

That's a powerful attractant for sure! I've also managed to resist the gravitational pull of AARP through a combination of stubbornness and ego. :)

If getting that thing is an enticement, you are old.
  • alteredsteve175alteredsteve175 Posts: 1,835Member Member Posts: 1,835Member Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    allother94 wrote: »
    oaker wrote: »
    I turn 54 this coming March. In my early 40’s I decided I wasn’t going to get old lol. Had maintained a decent activity level, but could tell things were changing. Took on P90x and Insanity...then weight lifting. At 43 I started dirt biking....what a steep learning curve there...still going even though it’s tough. My first half marathon is coming up in May. I hate the idea of getting old and just laying around.....there are too many fun things to do and try in this short life

I’m in my early 40s. Any insights into what happens between now and 54? Anything you wish you knew before?

Yeah, ignore the 'old people' who tell you things will go downhill. Maybe it did for them but you have a choice (assuming no disease, accident, or other misfortune). Exercise and eat well consistently and never slow down. Physically your body will slow down but that doesn't mean you have to follow. Always give it your best effort and you'll never notice the small declines.

Amen to that advice, brother.
  • mkculs13mkculs13 Posts: 213Member Member Posts: 213Member Member
    I haven't read the other replies, but when I see a post like this, I wonder what "acting my age" means.

I like the poem but do not think it is appropriate at any age to "press alarms" or do things that needlessly inconvenience others.

At the same time, I sit on curbs to eat an ice cream cone. I wear my workout clothes everywhere--I'm highly likely to stick to my workout schedule if the clothes are already on. I don't color my hair and never did; I think I am beautiful in many ways. I laugh at silly jokes and make fun of myself. When I lose the ability to laugh at myself, my end is near.

Staying mobile is the #1 reason I want to lose weight. Moving gets harder if you are significantly overweight, I've found. I'm in the "really struggling" stage, where I am 61 (today), still jogging, still obese II, and feeling it. I could just give up, but I modify, knowing it will get easier if I lose the weight. I wish I could say "when." I'm too familiar with my old patterns to feel that confident yet.

I don't have a lot of patience for people who haven't matured as they age--they gain little wisdom or compassion. There is a huge difference between remaining immature and refusing to let age define you.

• NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 7,141Member, Premium Member Posts: 7,141Member, Premium Member
    JimDew wrote: »
    I’m 52 today, and as silly as it sounds, I’m younger in health now than I was at 47 or 48.

Lost 70lbs. Started jogging. Then calisthenics. I have zero plans to stop.

Here is a before and after. I was I think 48 in the before. 52 as of today!

I am near your age and it does not sound silly. When I was at my heaviest I felt 20 years older. After I lost all that weight I feel 20 years younger. Basically I haven't been my actual age for quite some time.

I still have some areas where I feel older but I feel like at least some of that I can solve through physio and general fitness improvement. I just have to keep chipping away at it.
  • tnh2otnh2o Posts: 8Member Member Posts: 8Member Member
    I'm in my mid 60's and still hike and backpack.....with people in their 70's and 80's. I've gotten slower but I don't care. I plan on doing what I can for as long as I can.
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 42,849Member, Greeter Member Posts: 42,849Member, Greeter Member
    A few things have worked well for me as I've aged. I stay physically active EVERYDAY. I'm either lifting weights or doing some sort of cardio or both. I eat within my calorie limits. I engage in still trying to learn things about the human body. I look for the good in every client and accentuate it with them. I stay POSITIVE regardless of how bad a situation can get. I'll work till I CANNOT anymore because stats show that people that keep working seem to live longer and stay more active. I'll still keep enjoying life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KHMcGKHMcG Posts: 208Member Member Posts: 208Member Member
    At 48 I've learned to be patient and go slow. Good form and reasonable weights is so important. I manage my recovery and protect against injury.

The irony is I have to take more time to make gains but I have less time left. lol
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Posts: 1,318Member Member Posts: 1,318Member Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    At 48 I've learned to be patient and go slow. Good form and reasonable weights is so important. I manage my recovery and protect against injury.

The irony is I have to take more time to make gains but I have less time left. lol

I do competitive indoor rowing (it's a niche sport) at 55 years old. I'm working back from a bad disc injury last year. I've learned, though it's frustrating, you have to let the training come to you, not the other way around. You can't up your intensity/volume just because you want to. You have to really listen to your body and incrementally add it in. If it's too much, back it off. But most importantly, be consistent.

I'm not very fast currently but I'm doing nearly 300K meters a month. I'm back to body weight exercises and plan on adding back in heavier lifting soon (I told myself I wouldn't push the lifting until my body adjusts to all the meters again -- rowing is like light lifting for most of your body with the exception of shoulders and chest, so I mostly do pressups and pushups to supplement for now).

Patience isn't my strongsuit either but you have to be that way or injury will set you back dramatically.

It also helps to have training goals. I would like to race early next year against three of the top guys in my sport in the country (for our age group) out in San Diego. One trains the Navy Seals. One is still competitive nationally in Cross Fit and another is a WR holder on the indoor rower (so is the Navy Seal trainor). They'll all likely wipe the floor with me, but it would be fun testing myself against them. To prep properly means a very rigid but very planned training strategy that included lots of weight training and lots of volume. That has to be crafted carefully to avoid both fatigue and injury setbacks.
    edited April 6