Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

One Lift to Rule Them All?

2»

Replies

  • Carlos_421Carlos_421 Posts: 4,998Member Member Posts: 4,998Member Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    In your situation I would focus on thr dead, squat, bench, and press.

    Since you are novel to lifting, you will respond very well to any program that incorporates these four.

    Doing any other "extra lifts" might be okay if it was programmed as a GPP day.
    Otherwise stick to the four for best results at building a solid base for a variety of goals afterwards.

    The key to any good programming is load management or regulation with consistency.

    No pull movements, rows, pull-ups, etc?

    Deadlift is the biggest back builder out there . Yeah would rows and pull up be good? Absolutely. But the foundation lifts target all muscles well enough for a newbie for quite an some time before the volume lifts are required.

    Again the OP doesn’t wanna do much so...

    Deadlifts do train the upper back isometrically but it is primarily a lower back exercise.

    If all one cares about is powerlifting, this is fine but if one cares about physique (as the vast majority of people here do, and I assume OP as well), rows would be highly recommended if only because doing nothing but deads, squats, bench and press is going to neglect the biceps.
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Posts: 594Member Member Posts: 594Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    In your situation I would focus on thr dead, squat, bench, and press.

    Since you are novel to lifting, you will respond very well to any program that incorporates these four.

    Doing any other "extra lifts" might be okay if it was programmed as a GPP day.
    Otherwise stick to the four for best results at building a solid base for a variety of goals afterwards.

    The key to any good programming is load management or regulation with consistency.

    No pull movements, rows, pull-ups, etc?

    Deadlift is the biggest back builder out there . Yeah would rows and pull up be good? Absolutely. But the foundation lifts target all muscles well enough for a newbie for quite an some time before the volume lifts are required.

    Again the OP doesn’t wanna do much so...

    Deadlifts do train the upper back isometrically but it is primarily a lower back exercise.

    If all one cares about is powerlifting, this is fine but if one cares about physique (as the vast majority of people here do, and I assume OP as well), rows would be highly recommended if only because doing nothing but deads, squats, bench and press is going to neglect the biceps.

    Who cares about the biceps? The elephant in the room is extensive pressing without pulling exercises and even more so our typical internally rotated shoulder posture from desk jobs at a computer and phone posture will cause shoulder issues.

    Plus the pulling will give the biceps all the work they need.
  • SnifterPugSnifterPug Posts: 194Member Member Posts: 194Member Member
    Deadlifts with a hex bar have me feeling my legs, glutes, lats, arms and traps the next day.
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Posts: 8,036Member Member Posts: 8,036Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    In your situation I would focus on thr dead, squat, bench, and press.

    Since you are novel to lifting, you will respond very well to any program that incorporates these four.

    Doing any other "extra lifts" might be okay if it was programmed as a GPP day.
    Otherwise stick to the four for best results at building a solid base for a variety of goals afterwards.

    The key to any good programming is load management or regulation with consistency.

    No pull movements, rows, pull-ups, etc?

    Deadlift is the biggest back builder out there . Yeah would rows and pull up be good? Absolutely. But the foundation lifts target all muscles well enough for a newbie for quite an some time before the volume lifts are required.

    Again the OP doesn’t wanna do much so...

    Deadlifts do train the upper back isometrically but it is primarily a lower back exercise.

    If all one cares about is powerlifting, this is fine but if one cares about physique (as the vast majority of people here do, and I assume OP as well), rows would be highly recommended if only because doing nothing but deads, squats, bench and press is going to neglect the biceps.
    I disagree.

    While there is nothing wrong with training biceps more than the lifts you mention. It's not necessarily needed for aesthetics.

    I only train deads, squats, presses and their varients of each 99% of the year.

    As a 50 year old natural powerlifter I would hazard not only are my arms bigger and probably more well defined than likely 98% here on MFP, but also in the general population.

    It really comes down to many variables than just what lifts you train.

    I mean I do curl up plates to load squats :persevere: .

    edited November 19
  • notapilgrimnotapilgrim Posts: 92Member Member Posts: 92Member Member
    Deadlifts, but the plates have to be forged in Mordor.
  • Ws2016Ws2016 Posts: 431Member Member Posts: 431Member Member
    5x5s is what I do. Keep it really simple and increase according to how your body responds.
Sign In or Register to comment.