Cheat meal/days

2»

Replies

• StormToday
    StormToday Posts: 46 Member
    I eat what I want. I just fit it in my day. Yesterday I had pizza, wings and ranch for dinner and I didn't go much over my calorie goal.

• lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    My husband and I are pretty strict Keto (Dr’s orders for him) and we control our calories for loss. It’s working great but we do miss certain foods. Knowing that 4 times a year we have 3 days off keeps me on track the rest of the year.
    We did it all wrong the first time and crammed everything into one day and just felt awful. Now it’s one decadent meal per day for 3 days. It’s pretty tame and we really think about it. Always happy to return to our routine.
    I gain about 5-10lbs of bloat but it comes off in a week and usually the scale keeps dropping right after. But I call them maintenance months so I don’t stress the scale but focus even more on my workouts.

March is one such month, centered on my Birthday the 17th. I am going to eat Sushi (with rice and crunch), French toast and carrot cake and a few cocktails!!! Than it’s back on track until beach week in July.

This works for us. Oh I occasionally have an unplanned over calorie day but as long as it’s good food choices and fits my macros I don’t care if I eat an entire roasted chicken.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    whitej1234 wrote: »
    Christmas, birthday, the odd special occasion involving super yummy food...
    So you manage to overeat only when it is very very worth it? Highly impressed!

I'm a runner, so working to my weekly goal and including the calories from a long run at the weekend, there's not much i can't fit in to my diet if i want it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don't call it a "cheat day", but every Saturday I eat more calories than I do throughout the week.
    How "crazy" I go depends on my activity level for the day.

A lot of times, Saturdays are a high activity day. Often my husband and I will hike for 3-4 hours or sometimes I'm busy cleaning and organizing a garage sale with friends, volunteering, etc. Not just sitting around. I will go out for lunch and often dinner too. Or I will eat "normal" moderate meals at home but go out and have a big dessert like frozen custard with mix-ins.

If my Saturday is more relaxed, just running errands and shopping...I'll go out for lunch or dinner and have one pretty indulgent meal (Chinese, Italian, Mexican food). I drink plenty of water and usually don't log my calories. I am careful not to "go nuts" though and let it be so indulgent that it will derail my good eating Sunday through Friday. I am currently doing a dry year (no alcohol at all) but when I drank occasionally it would only be on Saturday evenings and usually 1-2 drinks only.

FWIW I've done this my entire "journey", lost 130+ and have maintained for 5 years so far. I have no doubt that this Saturday thing keeps me in the weight range where I am rather than being 15 to 20 lb lighter and no longer technically a bit overweight. I am personally okay with that. I know some people wouldn't be. I also feel like this keeps me from overdoing it during the week because I always know that while I might not grab takeout when it sounds good on a random weekday, I'll enjoy that Saturday lunch much more!