Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is starvation mode a myth?

13»

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    rosiorama wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Bree1308 wrote: »
    I had weight loss surgery a year ago (I am not here to be judged, please). In this past year I have lost 135 lbs (Yes, I am healthy). The surgery claims patients lose about 60% of their excess weight. I have surpassed that with taking on running and working out regularly. Anyway, what I can contribute to this conversation is my own personal experience which, to some extent, involves a level of starvation, especially right after the surgery. I have learned that weight is one hell of a “thing.” Throughout this process, each step of the way involved increasing calories to reach a new normal calorie level for myself. How did my body signal to me that more calories were needed? My weight stalled.....

So yes, I do believe if someone who is overweight follows a strict/honest diet, their body will throw them an extremely discouraging curve ball at a time when discouragement is the last thing they need.

First, congratulations on the weight loss.

Regarding starvation though - have you ever read up on the Minnesota Starvation Experiment?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

6 months at 1560 kcals a day. I'm asking because hunger pangs (I'm starving!) and starvation aren't the same thing. May I ask what your caloric intake was during your recovery?

Thanks

edit: The 1560 is per wiki - I had thought it was less than that...input appreciated.

I was just reading about the experiment the other day, and was wondering if it would come up on this thread. I also thought they were allowed fewer calories.

Ah heck I forgot to look that up @rosiorama ...thank you!

Per this, that figure is accurate. I could have sworn I saw under 1k somewhere..
    https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/10/hunger
    The research protocol called for the men to lose 25 percent of their normal body weight. They spent the first three months of the study eating a normal diet of 3,200 calories a day, followed by six months of semi-starvation at 1,570 calories a day (divided between breakfast and lunch), then a restricted rehabilitation period of three months eating 2,000 to 3,200 calories a day, and finally an eight-week unrestricted rehabilitation period during which there were no limits on caloric intake. Their diet consisted of foods widely available in Europe during the war, mostly potatoes, root vegetables, bread and macaroni. The men were required to work 15 hours per week in the lab, walk 22 miles per week and participate in a variety of educational activities for 25 hours a week. Throughout the experiment, the researchers measured the physiological and psychological changes brought on by near starvation.

During the semi-starvation phase the changes were dramatic. Beyond the gaunt appearance of the men, there were significant decreases in their strength and stamina, body temperature, heart rate and sex drive. The psychological effects were significant as well. Hunger made the men obsessed with food. They would dream and fantasize about food, read and talk about food and savor the two meals a day they were given. They reported fatigue, irritability, depression and apathy. Interestingly, the men also reported decreases in mental ability, although mental testing of the men did not support this belief.

Thanks for bringing that back to my attention.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member
    I doubt anyone here is starving themselves, so for 99% of people dieting and having reduced calories, it is inappropriately used.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    fatblatta wrote: »
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Either he is misunderstanding how the endocrine system works, or he is purposefully misleading people to increase his following.

This is just not true. He is not alone. There are many doctors that are following this exact path. It is a revolution fat loss and curing people. If you can show me one thing in any of his books that is not true, I'd like to see what you are talking about. I'd like to verify so provide the book and page number.

Also, I never said you didn't read his books. That was for the other person.

Wait so being a maverick is good or bad? I can't follow which you're claiming Fung is at this point.

I've yet to see a study showing anything but a sustained diet break stops adaptive thermogenesis. Does Fung cite a specific study showing some fasting window stops adaptive thermogenesis?

I'm not going to go search the books. If you have something that is a lie, I'll check it out. There is too much incorrect generalizing here already. That's where people make mistakes.

Cognitive dissonance on display.
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    If you dont eat, you'll die due.to starvation. Depends on amt of body fat present and other factors just.when that will occur.
    May also include weakness, delusions, disorientation, organ failure, brain damage ... in various conbinations.
    A 'mode' has been hyped to no end. The fact is that.malnitrition and.starvation are.real.
  • thewalrus0
    thewalrus0 Posts: 10 Member
    na1maharb4 wrote: »
    The reason why you store fat in the first place is to have energy reserves your body can use when there's too little food available = weight loss. If overweight people reached "starvation mode" after like a month or so (which many claim to have reached), how do you explain anorexia and actual starvation (=think of extremely thin people in Africa etc.)?
    Most people use the starvation mode myth as an excuse for not counting calories correctly or yo-yo-ing back because they CONSUMED MORE CALORIES THAN THEY BURN. You do not suddenly gain back the weight when you eat within your (new) maintenance TDEE.
    (I can recommend a REALLY good book on this topic but it's in German and I don't think there's a translation in English available yet)

Would you be able to give me the title of the book, bitte?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Lots of things work. I lost 30 lbs between the end of Jan and end of March in 2014, but don't claim I'm a diet guru or have some magic weight loss technique, and I didn't keto or fast.