This March I Will...

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    edited March 2019
    One more comment about StepBet.

I remember James Clear writing about the decision points each of us face throughout the day. When we could do one thing or the other. When donuts arrive at the office and you want to dive in, but you know you’ve got yogurt and a banana. Our days are full of these decision points... do we make the healthier choice or the not healthy choice? James writes that he puts his running shoes out in plain view because he knows when he gets home at night he will either go for a run or order takeout and spend the evening on the couch watching Office reruns. And he wants to make choosing to go for a run as easy and likely as possible.

StepBet helped me make the healthier choice when faced with these decision points. When I get home from work, it’s 11 hours since I left that morning. I’m tired and all too often I would decide not to walk on my treadmill. But not anymore! The pain of losing $40 was enough motivation to nudge me to walk another 15 minutes. To make a better decision. For me, that’s been the real benefit of StepBet.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    @themedalist I'm so proud of you! I wish I had the tenacity to do this challenge, but I know myself and I would fade after the first week even if it were $100 at the point I am right now. Not proud to say that, but it's me being honest with myself. I think it is amazing that you have been able to do it and you, once again, inspire me to be a better version of me!

This month was a good month for me with my goal of journaling every bite, every day. I have not missed a day and I have stayed in the green every single day. I have cut added sugar out of my diet 20 out of 24 days this month, which has been tremendous for me. My weight has steadily gone down. It doesn't reflect on my ticker on my timeline, but that's because I didn't document my highest weight this year. I know, however, that I have lost nearly 9 lbs from where I was in February. So that's a huge accomplishment that I credit to my March challenge on here.

In April, I plan to work steadily toward getting up without hitting snooze and steadily getting up 15 minutes earlier until I'm getting up faithfully in time for me to take my dog for a morning walk before getting ready for work. This is going to be a really tough one for me to do. But I'm determined.

So, I'm starting to already think of my approach and how I'm going to be successful next month too! I love this group. You really help me!

I'm going to have to look up the book "Younger Next Year". Sounds like one I'd like! :smile:

Have a great Sunday!
  • PackerFanInGB
    And my scale continues to move in the right direction... YAY! :mrgreen:

In March, I will log every bite:

3/2: 😊
    3/3: 😊
    3/4: 😊
    3/5: 😊
    3/6: 😊
    3/7: :)
    3/8: :)
    3/9: :smile:
    3/10: :smile:
    3/11: :smile:
    3/12: :smile:
    3/13: :smile:
    3/14: :smile:
    3/15: :smile:
    3/16: :smile:
    3/17: :smile:
    3/18: :smile:
    3/19: :smile:
    3/20: :smile:
    3/21: :smile:
    3/22: :smile:
    3/23: :smile:

• themedalist
    @themedalist I'm so proud of you! I wish I had the tenacity to do this challenge, but I know myself and I would fade after the first week even if it were $100 at the point I am right now. Not proud to say that, but it's me being honest with myself. I think it is amazing that you have been able to do it and you, once again, inspire me to be a better version of me!

This month was a good month for me with my goal of journaling every bite, every day. I have not missed a day and I have stayed in the green every single day. I have cut added sugar out of my diet 20 out of 24 days this month, which has been tremendous for me. My weight has steadily gone down. It doesn't reflect on my ticker on my timeline, but that's because I didn't document my highest weight this year. I know, however, that I have lost nearly 9 lbs from where I was in February. So that's a huge accomplishment that I credit to my March challenge on here.

In April, I plan to work steadily toward getting up without hitting snooze and steadily getting up 15 minutes earlier until I'm getting up faithfully in time for me to take my dog for a morning walk before getting ready for work. This is going to be a really tough one for me to do. But I'm determined.

So, I'm starting to already think of my approach and how I'm going to be successful next month too! I love this group. You really help me!

I'm going to have to look up the book "Younger Next Year". Sounds like one I'd like! :smile:

Have a great Sunday!

This makes me so happy, @PackerFanInGB!! To me, food logging is essential to losing weight. 9 pounds is fantastic! Just look at all those smiley faces!

Ditching sugar is another win. Probably has helped with sugar cravings too.

And I’m super excited to hear you are already thinking about your April goal and how you are going to achieve it! You are doing BEAUTIFULLY!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Daily intake of water

(3-1) 4 bottles
    (3-2) 6 bottles
    (3-3) 5 bottles
    (3-4) 4 bottles
    (3-5) 5 bottles
    (3-6) 7 bottles
    (3-7) 5 bottles
    (3-8) 5 bottles
    (3-9) 3 bottles
    (3-10) 4 bottles
    (3-11) 5 bottles
    (3-12) 5 bottles
    (3-13) 4 bottles
    (3-15) 4 bottles
    (3-16) 6 bottles
    (3-17) 5 bottles
    (3-18) 3 bottles
    (3-19) 4 bottles
    (3-20) 4 bottles
    (3-21) 5 bottles
    (3-22) 4 bottles
    (3-23) 7 bottles
    (3-24) 2 bottles
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    The quote that I took away from today's re-reading of the excerpt from Moonlighting with Einstein by Joshua Foer was: "The secret to improving at a skill is to retain some degree of conscious control over it while practicing—to force oneself to stay out of autopilot."

I really liked that quote. As I went about my morning, my mind went back to it and that started me thinking about how being in the state of autopilot can work as both a positive or a negative influence in ones life at any given time. Not just when we are learning or practicing something brand new.
    So I continued to attempt to bring myself back to awareness during all the routine and very ordinary tasks of my morning and to pay attention more, not just to the task itself, but also to my surroundings. For example: 1) While putting away the dry dishes this morning I noticed some things on the counter that would make better sense in another area.
    2) Today being an extraordinarily beautiful day outside I did an extra hanging load of laundry that was not on my list because I realized that there was a truly wonderful breeze, the sun was shining, and the humidity was low. At last, a perfect hanging laundry day! If I was on autopilot I would have probably just stuck to the list as it was.

Now, as far as "This March I Will..." (OK, I know what I need to be working on :grumble: .)

Back in January, shortly before I went out of town, @themedalist, posted:
    @texasgardnr, I like your strategy for drinking more water. Seems like you’ve got great cues and rewards and a good strategy for making it all happen. I like lime juice in water a lot too!

I am sorry to hear that sleep remains elusive. Why is that? Can you identify the likely reasons, such as having too much on your mind before you go to sleep? Sleep challenges are common for so many of us and if you wanted to share more information about your situation, likely some of us might have some suggestions on what we’ve tried?

Since then I have pondered at times the likely reasons, or what is actually going on with me and my not getting enough sleep, especially as it concerned my going to bed at a decent hour. I have thought about things from different angles. And even paid attention to my evening/night times.

I knew that it is definitely not having too much on my mind while actually trying to go to sleep. This happens occasionally of course, but for me it is clearly not habitually. I usually do all my worrying or trying to figure things out during the day when I can actually try do something about it. And by the time I actually get to bed I'm tired enough to fall asleep quickly. (After all it is probably quite late already and I'm pretty much exhausted :noway:)

For me it is the stopping of my evening, and actually going to bed :yawn: .

Last night, without much thought, I decided that I was going to go to sleep early because I was really, really tired. And even though I awoke briefly twice, I felt rested this morning. So today when thinking again about getting enough sleep I realized when this habitually getting to bed late started again, as I had been going to bed at a good hour more often than not for quite awhile. My normal night-time routine was totally disrupted about 4 years ago after my brother was involved in a major life threatening pedestrian/ vehicle hit and run accident and had to move in with us. Even after he eventually went back to his own apartment, more disruptions to my life happened, and I never really paid much attention to how little sleep I was getting, until getting enough sleep and making good healthy habits every month came up on this forum.

Here is my conclusion: Truthfully, I enjoy being by myself at night, especially when it is quiet, since the TV that my husband has been watching is turned off. I want to read that next blog post I've discovered, or another page in a book I'm reading, or to color some more because I enjoy the quiet of being by myself and doing fun things more than I want to sleep, even if I am tired. Just because I can :noway:
    Often, as weird as it may sound, I also finish something that didn't get done, like folding laundry or something else mundane, so I won't have to do it tomorrow. And so I do, of course while listening to an audio library book, because now it is quiet and I can listen uninterrupted while getting something finished.

This month, again, I had been only sort of working on getting more sleep. Some nights have been a bit better, but most have not been. I had given up on answering the 7 questions we are to use to help in creating the habit. It seemed impossible to make any of my answers sustainable. And of course I hadn't been posting, but I have been reading.

But after last night of just stopping and getting to sleep before 11 P.M., I need to revisit the questions and see what I can do for the last week of this month. The lack of sleep will catch up with me, if it hasn't already, and I just haven't noticed.

So there it is. I will commit to keeping track and posting whether I'm getting adequate sleep by being ready to sleep at a good hour. Or if not.

Oh, by the way drinking water in the morning has continued to get better. I've tweaked some things and it has helped :) .

:flowerforyou:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Here is my conclusion: Truthfully, I enjoy being by myself at night, especially when it is quiet, since the TV that my husband has been watching is turned off. I want to read that next blog post I've discovered, or another page in a book I'm reading, or to color some more because I enjoy the quiet of being by myself and doing fun things more than I want to sleep, even if I am tired. Just because I can :noway:
    Often, as weird as it may sound, I also finish something that didn't get done, like folding laundry or something else mundane, so I won't have to do it tomorrow. And so I do, of course while listening to an audio library book, because now it is quiet and I can listen uninterrupted while getting something finished.

Oh my goodness, I could have written this myself! I know the feeling well. Ever since my husband retired 4 years ago, I've found that I never have time alone anymore. I still work full time, but the difference now is that i no longer get home before him to have that hour or so to myself. I never realized how much I need that quiet time, just to recharge. My husband has a TV on all day long in both the livingroom and the kitchen whether he is watching it or not. He needs the noise. I need the quiet.

So...I find myself at 10pm wanting to turn off the TV and either watch You Tube videos on quilting, or read, or peruse Pinterest while listening to a white noise app that sounds like a distant thunderstorm and rain...

I need to put some thought into how I'm going to get around this one too. Very insightful post and I thank you, @texasgardnr, for sharing.

P.S. I'm sorry to hear about your brother's accident! I sure hope he is doing well now!

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    @themedalist
    Read that whole excerpt & I think it explains my backsliding with my weight for first time in at least 22 months. I hit an OK Plateau.

SO, I need to get out of autonomous...by...
    1) focus on my technique
    2) stay goal-oriented
    3) constant & immediate feedback on my performance

1) I increased salads to daily! I will keep that up. Ditto more fish & legumes.
    I am tracking meals I have sugar, decreased from 3 to 2, per day. Tomorrow I will whack it back to 1 sweet thing.
    Reduce sodium back under 2ng daily.

2) this is the biggie. I need to get my “fire in my belly” feeling again.
    Ok, scale is continuing to drift up. I will lose 1 lb by the end of March.

3) I will post my food at each meal BEFORE eating anything.
    I will look at my macros & micros each evening.

Thank you for this & ty Group! You all make me a better person. ♥️

THIS GROUP!!! I LOVE YOU♥️❤️♥️
    1) Sodium 1316 mg ✅
    Sweets 0 ✅
    Fruit/Veg 6.5 sev ✅
    Calories 241 deficit ✅

2) Got the fire in the belly again. Was honest with myself. My digestive track has not been as happy. My stomach did the >153 lb increase. Hit my top Weight 155.
    Committed to getting under 153.

3) posted food & checked macros/micros prior to eating ✅

Love this update, @MadisonMolly2017! I’m delighted to hear that the deliberate practice and OK plateau concepts resonated with you I think you got a great plan of action.

I’ve continued...reduced sweets to 0 or 1. Sodium is fixed as is fiber. And I am now a proud member of the salad-a-day club! Very pleased. Appetite not an issue now. Earlier I was SO scared.

Very happy & relieved. Focus on technique helped weight as well as my art!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,747 Member
    edited March 2019
    I have been reading poetry daily and really enjoying it. The last week or two, I have been planning my poems for National Poetry Month in April when I post a poem each day on Facebook. This year I'll be sharing poems by women. The writing of poems hasn't been a daily thing. It is pretty challenging trying to write something every day. But still I have about 16 (although some are as short as 2 lines).

I promised I'd share some of my poems, so here goes. The first I wrote in grad school - 10 years ago now. It is most fitting because we are going on a road trip in the MG for spring break next week:

Convertible

When Ed drives his MG (top down, always),
    he is 17 –
    powerful.
    The weight of 50 years
    slips out the back –
    a thing unsecured.
    Life is open,
    possibilities unlimited by pain, fear, loss.

I’m in the passenger seat
    indulging his enthusiasm.
    To him
    I am the cheerleader girlfriend
    I never was.

At home we’re Mom and Dad.
    On the road,
    in the MG,
    he calls me
    by my name.

The next is a Haiku that I wrote last year when I was trying to write a haiku every day:

Squawks assault the ears
    Green flashes on blue charm eyes
    Pandemonium

Then here is one I wrote this month:

Not a Swarm

A kaleidoscope
    Of painted ladies
    Flutters.
    A mist of color
    Floats.
    Migrating north
    Multiple generations
    An army
    Transfigurating
    To another
    Kaleidoscope
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member
    HI - Before I respond to your posts, I want to apologize for being AWOL the past two weeks. I live in northeast Nebraska where the floods affected over 150 communities. One of them is Winslow, the town of 100 people where my children were raised and I lived for 18 years. As of yesterday the report was that only 1 out of 51 structures was habitable with repairs. Many basement walls collapsed. Gravel streets impassable, sewer lines damaged. We sandbagged around town multiple times before moving up on a hill overlooking the river a few miles away 22 years ago. Two weeks ago we were stranded for 4 days unable to reach any town because we had a river running below our pasture and over bridges and roads in every direction. School was cancelled for 8 days because once the water went down, the roads and bridges were too dangerous to travel on. Many roads are still closed. I watched my son's kids for 5 days and tried to help with what I could. I have been feeling overwhelmed with anxiety, feelings of helplessness, and sorrow for what my old friends and neighbors are dealing with. I'm starting to feel like I will be able to get back to my March goal next week, but guess what?! then it will be April!!! I'm thinking adding a workout goal will help me get out of this funk. Sorry again. I hope to be more supportive in the future.
  • nebslp
    @77tes Your poetry is beautiful. I could see and feel how you felt to ride in that MG and be called by your name. Priceless! I related the haiku to my experience in Texas last month. There were huge flocks of green colored parrots that flew into a park every night that we went to see. The squawking was pandemonium and many blue eyes watched as the green flashes streaked by overhead. And of course the painted ladies are fluttering in my mind as well. Thank you!
  • nebslp
    @texasgardnr and @PackerFanInGB I can totally relate to the "staying up too late because it's so darn much fun" problem. I would be more productive if I went to bed by 11 because that would get my day started an hour sooner the next day. A lot could be done with an extra daylight hour. And I've got a LOT to do! I retreat to my little quiet room upstairs most days so I don't have to listen to my husband's TV. It's where I sew and listen to audiobooks and podcasts and also where I do my DVD workouts. I also study and do computer things there. Could you find a little spot in your house to hide out in when you really need to be alone for awhile to recharge? Soon it will be warm enough to go outside, too :smile:
    And @texasgardnr I, too, hope your brother is doing well.
  • nebslp
    @PackerFanInGB and @PinkyPan1 Wow! Congrats on faithfully carrying out your water and logging goals this month! Seeing the daily reports is inspiring.
  • PackerFanInGB
    @77tes Like @nebslp , I could also actually picture myself in the MG. That is so good! I loved it! I've never really read or studied poetry, but you have inspired me to learn more about it. I have actually randomly searched for some poetry online and read some and actually was surprised how much I like it. I don't know enough to know the different types of poems yet, but I love what you wrote. You're really quite talented!
  • PackerFanInGB
    nebslp wrote: »
    HI - Before I respond to your posts, I want to apologize for being AWOL the past two weeks. I live in northeast Nebraska where the floods affected over 150 communities. One of them is Winslow, the town of 100 people where my children were raised and I lived for 18 years. As of yesterday the report was that only 1 out of 51 structures was habitable with repairs. Many basement walls collapsed. Gravel streets impassable, sewer lines damaged. We sandbagged around town multiple times before moving up on a hill overlooking the river a few miles away 22 years ago. Two weeks ago we were stranded for 4 days unable to reach any town because we had a river running below our pasture and over bridges and roads in every direction. School was cancelled for 8 days because once the water went down, the roads and bridges were too dangerous to travel on. Many roads are still closed. I watched my son's kids for 5 days and tried to help with what I could. I have been feeling overwhelmed with anxiety, feelings of helplessness, and sorrow for what my old friends and neighbors are dealing with. I'm starting to feel like I will be able to get back to my March goal next week, but guess what?! then it will be April!!! I'm thinking adding a workout goal will help me get out of this funk. Sorry again. I hope to be more supportive in the future.

Oh honey, what a tragedy for all those affected! I'm so sorry for your friends, your home town, your family. It is so heartbreaking to even think about so many people having to pick up the pieces of their lives and try to put it back together after such devastation. Hugs to you. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel. xoxox
  • nebslp
    @PackerFanInGB Thank you.
  • themedalist

Oh honey, what a tragedy for all those affected! I'm so sorry for your friends, your home town, your family. It is so heartbreaking to even think about so many people having to pick up the pieces of their lives and try to put it back together after such devastation. Hugs to you. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel. xoxox

I could not agree more with @PackerFanInGB. @nebslp, what you, your family, your community and so many midwesterners are dealing with is heartbreaking and devastating. Few things shake us to the core like our homes being impacted. I cannot imagine the level of devastation you’ve been dealing with. I’m sure shock and grief are ever present. No need to apologize whatsoever. This is an extremely stressful situation and it needs your attention.

Our monthly goals format is very flexible. A March goal can easily become an April goal!

Thanks for letting us know, Rita. We are always here for you to lean on!
  • themedalist
    @77tes Like @nebslp , I could also actually picture myself in the MG. That is so good! I loved it! I've never really read or studied poetry, but you have inspired me to learn more about it. I have actually randomly searched for some poetry online and read some and actually was surprised how much I like it. I don't know enough to know the different types of poems yet, but I love what you wrote. You're really quite talented!
    @77tes Your poetry is beautiful. I could see and feel how you felt to ride in that MG and be called by your name. Priceless! I related the haiku to my experience in Texas last month. There were huge flocks of green colored parrots that flew into a park every night that we went to see. The squawking was pandemonium and many blue eyes watched as the green flashes streaked by overhead. And of course the painted ladies are fluttering in my mind as well. Thank you!

Yes, @77tes, thank you for sharing your poetry with us! The MG poem reminded me how profoundly our environment shapes our thoughts, feelings, and habits. Put yourself in a place you haven’t been in for a long time and you become the person you were before.

• themedalist
    @PackerFanInGB and @PinkyPan1 Wow! Congrats on faithfully carrying out your water and logging goals this month! Seeing the daily reports is inspiring.

Yes, @PackerFanInGB and @PinkyPan1, you both have done beautifully this month in your faithful logging of your daily habit. Bravo!
  • themedalist
    @themedalist
    Read that whole excerpt & I think it explains my backsliding with my weight for first time in at least 22 months. I hit an OK Plateau.

SO, I need to get out of autonomous...by...
    1) focus on my technique
    2) stay goal-oriented
    3) constant & immediate feedback on my performance

1) I increased salads to daily! I will keep that up. Ditto more fish & legumes.
    I am tracking meals I have sugar, decreased from 3 to 2, per day. Tomorrow I will whack it back to 1 sweet thing.
    Reduce sodium back under 2ng daily.

2) this is the biggie. I need to get my “fire in my belly” feeling again.
    Ok, scale is continuing to drift up. I will lose 1 lb by the end of March.

3) I will post my food at each meal BEFORE eating anything.
    I will look at my macros & micros each evening.

Thank you for this & ty Group! You all make me a better person. ♥️

THIS GROUP!!! I LOVE YOU♥️❤️♥️
    1) Sodium 1316 mg ✅
    Sweets 0 ✅
    Fruit/Veg 6.5 sev ✅
    Calories 241 deficit ✅

2) Got the fire in the belly again. Was honest with myself. My digestive track has not been as happy. My stomach did the >153 lb increase. Hit my top Weight 155.
    Committed to getting under 153.

3) posted food & checked macros/micros prior to eating ✅

Love this update, @MadisonMolly2017! I’m delighted to hear that the deliberate practice and OK plateau concepts resonated with you I think you got a great plan of action.

I’ve continued...reduced sweets to 0 or 1. Sodium is fixed as is fiber. And I am now a proud member of the salad-a-day club! Very pleased. Appetite not an issue now. Earlier I was SO scared.

Very happy & relieved. Focus on technique helped weight as well as my art!

Great to hear, @MadisonMolly2017! Focusing on technique is beneficial and being happier and less stressed are two terrific outcomes!