Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Abstainer vs moderator.

13

Replies

  • rainbow198rainbow198 Posts: 1,895Member Member Posts: 1,895Member Member
    There are a few things that I know I want more and more of. For those things I totally abstain and occasionally miss, but it's not worth it.

    Everything else I'm fine with moderation and planning.
  • jan110144jan110144 Posts: 835Member, Premium Member Posts: 835Member, Premium Member
    Definitely an abstainer around trigger foods, in terms of having them in the house. I do indulge occasionally when eating out. The problem is having "extra" sitting in my cupboard or refrigerator c as long my name until I go eat it :smile:
  • anthocyaninaanthocyanina Posts: 86Member Member Posts: 86Member Member
    I think this discussion is really interesting.

    Food, my relationship is ever evolving.
    There is so much joy for me in the planning, selecting, preparing and sharing of beautiful, vital, sustaining food.

    The road, for me, nutritionally, has narrowed in terms of what feels good to put in my body. Lots of stuff that I used to have no 'off switch' for no longer holds any appeal.

    This. ⬆️

    It's possible to retrain your tastebuds. Regularly eating hyper-palatable food products can make food's natural flavors seem dull in comparison. Take them away for awhile and healthful food's natural deliciousness will shine through
  • hotel4dogshotel4dogs Posts: 46Member Member Posts: 46Member Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

    The person who came up with that distinction is now pushing a more nuanced (well, slightly) concept that people are one of four tendencies: Upholders, Questioners, Obligers, and Rebels, although people can be a mix. I think we actually see a lot of truth to that categorization when it comes to weight loss (I'm mostly a Questioner).

    https://quiz.gretchenrubin.com/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=homepage

    Interesting and fun quiz. I'm an upholder and it totally fits me. Also explains why certain diet and fitness things work well for me and others don't.
  • prehistoricmoongoddessprehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 402Member Member Posts: 402Member Member
    hotel4dogs wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

    The person who came up with that distinction is now pushing a more nuanced (well, slightly) concept that people are one of four tendencies: Upholders, Questioners, Obligers, and Rebels, although people can be a mix. I think we actually see a lot of truth to that categorization when it comes to weight loss (I'm mostly a Questioner).

    https://quiz.gretchenrubin.com/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=homepage

    Interesting and fun quiz. I'm an upholder and it totally fits me. Also explains why certain diet and fitness things work well for me and others don't.

    I saw a book on this a couple of weeks ago. However, when I took the test the result didn't seem right for me
  • CSARdiverCSARdiver Posts: 5,737Member Member Posts: 5,737Member Member
    One of the fitness couples I follow made a great point when someone commented on their diet - specifically eating "bad" foods. They don't eat like this everyday. 80% of the time they eat with the purpose of bodybuilding - focusing on CICO, macros, etc. The other 20% serves as a sanity check - specifically noting that perfection isn't possible, or necessary to achieve excellence.
  • LounmounLounmoun Posts: 8,430Member Member Posts: 8,430Member Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Which one are you?

    Are you really able to have whatever you want BUT in moderation.
    OR
    Do you simply avoid / abstain from many things because well, you cannot moderate them?

    I myself am an abstainer. I simply dont bring stuff home that I know I will not be able to control myself around.

    I think there are many ways to moderate and would say I am mostly toward the moderator side of the spectrum. I do not really believe there is any food I can not control my consumption of. I really like a lot of different foods so I don't feel like I am avoiding food if I choose a lower calorie option that I also like.
    I am most likely to overeat something like turkey or ham, crackers, guacamole, or popcorn. I'm not going to avoid having turkey or ham or those other foods for life. I have smaller quantities or have these things less often.
    There really is not a food I liked that I decided to never eat again but I might not buy it or eat it very often because it is not worth the calories to me. I think logging made me start to think about getting the most bang for my buck calorie wise and filling my day with foods that would help me meet my goals best. That leaves less room for high calorie low nutrition foods.

    I'm probably more of an abstainer when it comes to drinks. I choose to mostly drink water or unsweetened tea. I enjoy eating calories more than drinking them.
  • zeejane03zeejane03 Posts: 993Member Member Posts: 993Member Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    One of the fitness couples I follow made a great point when someone commented on their diet - specifically eating "bad" foods. They don't eat like this everyday. 80% of the time they eat with the purpose of bodybuilding - focusing on CICO, macros, etc. The other 20% serves as a sanity check - specifically noting that perfection isn't possible, or necessary to achieve excellence.

    This is such a good point. I eat what I consider a 'healthy' diet now, (modeling after DASH/BlueZones), however I have no problem eating foods 'off plan' on occasion-it doesn't stress me out, I don't feel guilt etc. I work everything I want to eat into my calorie targets and then move on.

    This is one of the reasons I dislike the term 'lifestyle change' when people are referring to their diets-it's just food peoples, not some cosmic transcendence journey :p
  • kali31337kali31337 Posts: 798Member, Premium Member Posts: 798Member, Premium Member
    Definitely an abstainer. If it's in my house I'll casually graze on it without thought until it's gone
  • FiveptsFivepts Posts: 667Member Member Posts: 667Member Member
    New abstainer. I tried to be a moderator for 20ish years and that didn't work. Now I abstain from sugar, most flours, and processed foods. When I do that, all I have to do is control portions and that makes my life less complicated. I have an addictive compulsive relationship with food so I have to have very clear boundaries with certain types of food.
  • FiveptsFivepts Posts: 667Member Member Posts: 667Member Member
    In theory you can eat anything you want, in moderation.

    In practice, we all have specific foods that trigger us into binge eating. It works best to avoid those foods as often as you can.

    Pasta is something I just can't eat anymore. A big bowl of pasta just fuels my appetite. An hour later, I'm hungry again. I don't know why. Maybe it's the Italian in my blood.

    It's the combination of sugar and flour that does it to me.

  • Boxn_n_BellydancnBoxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 156Member Member Posts: 156Member Member
    Moderator. I still have my chocolate with no issue.
  • hesn92hesn92 Posts: 5,446Member Member Posts: 5,446Member Member
    I "abstain" (not always but save for special occasions) from my favorite things, but I moderate on things that are good but not like, super awesome good. Like there's a particular chocolate cake I make for birthdays and stuff. I would never just make this chocolate cake on a whim because if I do I will eat 4 gigantic pieces per day. But I eat oreo's or other packaged goodies on a regular basis, and I'm ok with just eating 1-3 and not having any more.
  • Sunshine_And_SandSunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,149Member Member Posts: 1,149Member Member
    I think most people are a little of both. For me, there are some things I moderate because I really want them everyday and can handle just eating a little, some things are triggers (plain lays) and I just don't keep them around the house, and some things I don't mind abstaining from because even though they aren't bad foods or even taste bad I just don't have the desire for them.
    We all just have to find out what works for us.
Sign In or Register to comment.