Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Abstainer vs moderator.

124»

Replies

• SMKing75SMKing75 Posts: 84Member Member Posts: 84Member Member
    I am definitely a moderator in the right frame of mind. If I am having a mental crisis, then I have little willpower and I then need to become an abstainer. I have 3 kids so I have all kinds of treats in my house; chips, baked items, ice cream, crackers, cereal. None of those things are a thing for me though. Starbucks is a weakness. I can drink 2 a day! And trail mix...... a total weakness. I can have these things everyday with no issue, and then BAM, lose all control and have to fight with myself to reign it all in.
  • Crafty_camper123Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,259Member Member Posts: 1,259Member Member
    Moderator for me. I either moderate the amount of various foods I have. Or, if it is something I have a hard time controlling portions on, I moderate the frequency of which I enjoy said food. Ice cream for example, I am often happy with 1 serving and working it into my day. Chips (especially potato), cheeze-its, and other salty crunchy things I am not satisfied with 1 serving. (15 chips?! Really?!) I know full well I want to eat several handfulls or half the dang bag. So I don't buy them often, and if I eat them I know I am probably going to be over for the day. Or, I will buy a single serving from the grocery store or vending machine.

Took the quiz- I am a Questioner. Thier little description pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. I must know the why's and what for's behind everything I do. And, I am not afraid to question authority figures to better understand something I am assigned or obligated to do. This tendancy to ask for clarification or more information has gotten me scolded by bosses in the past for "questioning them in front of others". I try to sound more inquisitive, and less argumentative, but it doesn't always work lol. I also obsessivly research anything medical I may have going on to understand it better. I love data and information.

• mburgess458mburgess458 Posts: 431Member, Premium Member Posts: 431Member, Premium Member
    I'm mostly a moderator but not for everything. Through trial and error I have found there are foods I don't seem to be able to handle in moderation. For example, I eat a serving of nuts daily. I can have a big bag of walnuts or almonds and only eat one serving a day. Twice I have tried to switch things up and have cashews in the house... didn't go well. It's much harder for me to resist cashews so I am an abstainer for them.

There aren't that many foods I have to avoid.
  • jlgmfpjlgmfp Posts: 30Member Member Posts: 30Member Member
    Took the quiz and I’m an Obliger, which in my view is 100% accurate. I need accountability to someone else and external motivators.

In terms of being a moderator or abstainer... I think I’m an abstainer. I can’t have foods freely available in my home or I’ll eat them (e.g. multipacks of anything, packets of biscuits, cereal is a big no no). I’ll just eat it all in a sitting or two, and it’ll be on my mind 24/7 until I do. I do let myself eat what I want though.. I get around it by only buying single servings of stuff. Like if I want some chocolate or crisps or cake or whatever, I’ll just buy one packet/serving and leave it at that. It’s the only way for me.
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Posts: 9,379Member Member Posts: 9,379Member Member
    I found some questions problematic because they're not well formulated for a rebel. For many questions I found myself hovering over the rebel answer but having to choose the closest best thing (questioner answers) because rebel answers portray this person who never does anything, doesn't care about people, and stubbornly opposes for the sake of opposition. I share many traits of a rebel and a questioner. Everything has to make sense to me, but even when it makes sense, doesn't mean I'll do it. I absolutely hate binding myself by specific rules and structures, but I don't mind following rules at all when I have the flexibility to personalize said rules and the freedom to abandon them if I'm no longer interested. I despise being told what to do, but I'll do it and even mellow out if it's the best course of action for a situation.

As for the moderator/abstainer, I'm mostly a moderator. I have foods that are more problematic than others so I control them heavily, but telling myself I will be abstaining from them is a recipe for seeking them out more often than usual. There are also foods I abstain from not because I told myself I won't have them, but because there are always more attractive choices. Is there a "hedonic" classification? Because that would absolutely be a category for me. I can be a moderator or an abstainer if either serves my hedonic tendencies for a certain situation.
    edited April 23
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 27,787Member Member Posts: 27,787Member Member
    Moderator for me. I either moderate the amount of various foods I have. Or, if it is something I have a hard time controlling portions on, I moderate the frequency of which I enjoy said food. Ice cream for example, I am often happy with 1 serving and working it into my day. Chips (especially potato), cheeze-its, and other salty crunchy things I am not satisfied with 1 serving. (15 chips?! Really?!) I know full well I want to eat several handfulls or half the dang bag. So I don't buy them often, and if I eat them I know I am probably going to be over for the day. Or, I will buy a single serving from the grocery store or vending machine.

Took the quiz- I am a Questioner. Thier little description pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. I must know the why's and what for's behind everything I do. And, I am not afraid to question authority figures to better understand something I am assigned or obligated to do. This tendancy to ask for clarification or more information has gotten me scolded by bosses in the past for "questioning them in front of others". I try to sound more inquisitive, and less argumentative, but it doesn't always work lol. I also obsessivly research anything medical I may have going on to understand it better. I love data and information.

Get out of my head! :lol: Thanks for typing all that out so I don't have to.
  • riffraff2112riffraff2112 Posts: 1,293Member Member Posts: 1,293Member Member
    It is weird but there are things that I have given up forever (donuts, bacon, regular pop) that I really have no reason to (its not like they are any worse than some of the other junk I consume).

I try to moderate chips, ice cream and some of the other treats I enjoy but will occasionally fail miserably. However being in maintenance for a few years I have learned to reel it in when I notice changes in my weight or body comp.
  • J72FITJ72FIT Posts: 4,829Member Member Posts: 4,829Member Member
    It is weird but there are things that I have given up forever (donuts, bacon, regular pop) that I really have no reason to (its not like they are any worse than some of the other junk I consume).

I try to moderate chips, ice cream and some of the other treats I enjoy but will occasionally fail miserably. However being in maintenance for a few years I have learned to reel it in when I notice changes in my weight or body comp.

This is where I am too...
  • Crafty_camper123Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,259Member Member Posts: 1,259Member Member

Get out of my head! :lol: Thanks for typing all that out so I don't have to.
    :lol:
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,469Member Member Posts: 2,469Member Member

For me there are foods I never eat, since they aren't worth the calories, IMO, but I don't think of them as foods I have given up, since in theory I could have them for some reason I just really wanted them, but when I'm mindful I just never do, there's always other foods I would rather have.

For example, I switched from regular soda to diet ages ago and now don't even like regular soda. I'd never waste calories on it and haven't had it in about 30 years, but I think of it as something I don't want, not something I've given up.

There are high cal foods I used to eat occasionally and now don't, but they are just foods I never think are worth it, not foods I consciously think of as off limits.

Foods I love but have trouble moderating or consider too high cal for regular occasions are foods that I eat somewhat rarely. I don't try to fit smaller portions into regular days, but just make them special occasion foods.
  • gitfit28gitfit28 Posts: 7Member Member Posts: 7Member Member
    I think the ultimate goal is to be able to moderate anything you want, but it's difficult for me to do that with certain foods right now, so I mostly abstain from them except as a rare treat. For example, pizza is always a hard one for me. I have learned that my husband and I cannot order take away pizza. I will always eat more than I should. At a restaurant, I can do ok if I'm aware of it. But I will never abstain from pizza, because that's no way to live life! Haha. Every once in a while, I'll try to see if I can eat it in moderation, and its getting easier. So shorter answer is... I limit some things currently but dont really plan to fully abstain from any food in the long term.
  • shaumomshaumom Posts: 880Member Member Posts: 880Member Member
    Abstainer.

I think part of the reason, though, is simply due to circumstance. I ended up being diagnosed as a celiac, so had to be absolute in that part of my diet. Then had some food allergies that caused a lot of trouble, and I do best if I abstain there, too (even though not all allergies are life threatening).

So there is so much of my diet that needs to be very strict, it's kind of hard for that not to bleed over into other areas of the diet.
  • perezlauperezlau Posts: 21Member Member Posts: 21Member Member
    I have to avoid trigger food. I dont think I'll ever master enjoying tigger foods in moderation.