an omnivore's omad journey

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    UGH new burger place AND it's free! I hope you resisted cause that's one of those moments I'd have made an exception for LMAO
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Hope you're doing okay today and that were able to conquer those hunger pangs. Big hugs your way!
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    I resisted the burger! Calories low and my eating window short, but yesterday I used my calories almost exclusively on carbs. Today was not much better. I had yogurt, granola, fruit and honey followed by bacon and eggs and a chocolate chip cookie. I think I do well with hard limits, which is why omad and keto work for me. So that means I need to find it within myself to officially set a carb limit. I'm not sure I'm ready yet, so I will OMAD until I get all of the carb foods out of my house and food obligations have passed (there is a sukiyaki dinner tomorrow). I'm at 181, still recovering from Sunday. Now I remember how hard this weight loss endeavor is...
  • jadepearl
    jadepearl Posts: 3,113 Member
    I know what you mean about carbs. I love my carbs and it's hard for me to go low carbs, so I do it slow and steady. So far, its hard. Great job on resisting the burger👍
  • asgentr
    I did so well for most of yesterday, but after my daughter went to sleep I snapped and ate: raw cookie dough (blech), her leftover peanut butter toast and a handful of cheese-its. Sigh. Either the sudden food or the raw dough didn't sit well and I was immediately ill. This morning I am still at 181. This is grasping at straws, but I think I need a new scale. I have a crappy digital scale that measures to the .5 pound and I also have a mechanical scale. I put my 15lb kettlebell on both and the digital one read 15.5. I added my 10lb bell and both were correct. My weight on the mechanical scale is about 176. Of course, I'd like to believe the lower number, but I'm not so certain it is a quality scale. In any case, I need to find some discipline somewhere and stick with the program. I think being stuck at this weight has demotivated me quite a bit, leading to more slip-ups.

Tonight there is a sukiyaki dinner at a local Japanese Baptist church. I really want to go, but it is at 4pm. I'm not sure I can last until 4, but with my indiscretion last night I might be able to.
  • wsandy8512
    It does sound like you may need a new scale. I've been re-reading your posts over again. The only thing I can think of that may be your problem is that you are more insulin resistance than you might think. I've had to learn how to clean fast, and that means absolutely zero sweeteners in between meals. I sprinkle cinnamon, apple pie spice, or pumpkin pie spice into my coffee grounds. You can always add a splash of heavy whipping cream into the mix if you absolutely cannot do straight black coffee even with spices, fats do not cause the insulin to spike like other foods--even sweeteners. I've also kept my sweet treats to a minimum--the other day I used chocolate stevia to make iced bullet proof coffee to top off my meal. The only sweets I eat regularly throughout the week are low glycemic berries, I put in a few frozen blueberries, raspberries and black berries into a bowl and cover with heavy whipping cream and add some walnuts. Maybe buy yourself some keto sticks and they should help you find your own carb limit. Know what I mean? That way you aren't starting with a particular number, but discovering it for yourself.

I'm only making those suggestions because you seem to be to the point of being at your wits end and I don't want you to cave. You've totally got this!
  • asgentr
    I agree with what you wrote Sandy, but it is a bit scary to consider. It is likely a combination of insulin resistance and being loose with my rules. I started omad with the delusion that I could indulge in carbs again. The fact is, when I eat carbs I crave them more. I'm also not drinking enough water, not sleeping well and letting small things spark stress. Before omad I was using a cbd/thc edible at night to sleep and combat some hormonal symptoms. It worked very well. It was in the form of a hard candy so I stopped using it. I found one cbd, low thc capsule suspended in coconut oil, but the strain and low thc didn't work as well. I might try to find another since I'm not one to smoke or vape.

It is probably wildly delusional that the scale is the issue, but I did order a new one.
  • mistymeadows2005
    edited April 2019
    @asgentr glad to see another advocate of holistic healing :#B)<3

I still use medibles on the weekends for the longer term pain but boy oh boy does it help with sleep too! I'd put that effect on weight loss higher than the avoidance of the few carbs that are in it to be honest... I know for me stress and a lack of sleep will stunt my weight loss SO much fast than 5 carbs and 20 cals outside my window...especially since the hard Candy is a lovely delivery system that allows you to microdose easily :)

In conclusion, imo #worththecarbs #wortheatingoutsideyourwindow
  • mistymeadows2005
    You inspired me so I took some medibles after I posted and then headed to the grocery store...its making for a B-E-A-ITIFUL bone broth making/house cleaning day so far :p
  • asgentr
    Yesterday around 2pm I caved in and had a chicken salad sandwich, then decided to continue with the meal and skip sukiyaki. My daughter wasn't excited about going and my husband was working, so it was an easy choice. I ate too many carbs: pepperoni on crackers, string cheese and bacon (whatever was in the fridge!). I need vegetables in the worst way. Maybe I can make a stir fry today. Or perhaps we will go out to eat with my husband who has the day off.
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Sorry you are struggling so much ---but hoping that you can find what will work best for you. Don't be too hard on yourself though ---you are still being mindful of what you are doing.....Hugs <3
  • asgentr
    Thanks for all of the support. Today the scale moved down half a pound. I was very on-point yesterday, with cauliflower/broccoli/spam casserole with two eggs. I had string cheese and a handful of oyster crackers. Today I finished a lovely avocado/beet/chia/spinach salad with two fried chicken tenders. I also made a cappucino and had a bite of my daughter's waffle. Weird hormonal things are going on, which may be partially behind my stall. For the last year my TOM has been spread out - once every three or four months but, since I started IF in February my cycles are getting shorter. I have signs (spotting) that I am starting my cycle again this week. In any case, it is hard to lose weight when your hormones are staging a rebellion. Hopefully this will turn out to be the cause behind my plateau. I'm looking forward to my new scale arriving today.
  • jadepearl
    Whenever AF comes, I tend to gain weight.😒 Since AF has shown her tell tale signs, may be that's why your weight is stalling. Yes, a new scale will be more accurate. Hope your scale will arrive soon. 😊
  • volgirl1322
    Hopefully your stall will go away ---I have had the same issues and it finally evened out....
    Enjoy the new scale :)
  • asgentr
    I'm an idiot because I bought a kilo scale, but don't mind converting... especially since it is 175 lbs. Now I have no idea when my old scale conked out, so I'm not sure if this has been a stall at 175 or if I've been dropping down during this "stall." I don't feel that much thinner and the photos my husband snuck in over the weekend don't look than slim, either. In any case, 175 is psychologically a lot easier to process. Today is my all-day trek with the homeschoolers. I'm off to forage for packable food. Yesterday was on-point with the exception of stevia and unsweetened almond milk in my coffee.
  • wsandy8512
    You probably did lose, sweet lady. Consider your new scale a fresh start :-)
  • jadepearl
    Is there a switch button at the back of the scale? Mine has kg and lbs.
  • asgentr
    Thanks, JP! There was, indeed, a button. The weight this morning was 179 (so much for 175)! I am ending the month where I started, but that's not such a bad thing. Looking back: taxes, a very long cold (for my daughter, too), spring break with lots of kiddos, Easter, enrolling my daughter in a program for next year, extra TOM. Breaking even is fine for me. This month I want to see the needle move.
  • jadepearl
    That's great that you found the button👍 Don't worry too much about the weight as you had a lot on your plate last month. Now that you have a new scale, you can make May you new start, new GW. 👍😊
  • volgirl1322
    I agree ---still a month where you stayed the same despite all that you had going on is a win in my book :) be proud of yourself and have a fantastic May!