Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

“Large” Restaurant Customers need special accommodation?

18910111214»

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 Regarding woos, I see someone's just woo'd me for my opinion on today's events in UK politics, so... :D

I got a couple too. I'm collecting them lol.

Is it too much to ask that the "wooer" voice their opinion as well? You know, debate forum and all...

It's also fairly easy to accidentally woo or hug a post while scrolling on your phone. The forums can run a little slow on my phone and in a desperate attempt to get my page to scroll I find myself wooing or hugging posts sometimes. I usually catch them, but I'm sure some people who post a lot have gotten some random woos or hugs from me.

I'd love either from you! :heart:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Anyway, on topic. Let's play a game of things that could be done by our more local elected officials (but probably won't be) to make it easier for people to achieve calorie balance without trying. Proposals will reflect our own observations, for obvious reasons, and they won't be universal problems.

When new suburban residential developments are proposed, the following questions should be asked in planning:
    1) could fit healthy adult residents of the houses typically get to a local school, supermarket and doctors' surgery within less than 20 minutes' walk?
    2) Would typical journeys to any of the above be safely walkable along routes that a sensible responsible adult would be willing to walk down with a young child on a tricycle?

If the answer to either of these is no, the residents will find it much easier to drive, and we know what a sedentary lifestyle can do for your weight, don't we? It can be fixed by making housing developers obliged to construct these amenities on the housing development they're building. It should not be acceptable for developers to build and sell a couple of thousand family houses, and then build a local school a couple of years later.

If you haven't guessed, this happened locally. In the meantime, the streets were gridlocked elsewhere in town, because the kids had to go to school somewhere, that definitely wasn't within walking distance. At least, it wasn't walkable if their parents were to have any hope of getting to work on time!

I often see people posting that you don't need an expensive gym membership to get fit, just a pair of trainers, which brings me to another matter.

Going jogging is cheap yeah, but if you were a petite woman who wanted to go jogging to get fit, would you feel safe running around your local area in the evening after getting home from work? This one is only partially a planning issue. You need well-lit routes; basically the opposite of a set of deserted alleyways, but we also need to come down hard on boneheads who think it's funny to shout mocking epithets at people out jogging or cycling. If Jane Smith experiences people making intimidating comments to her from their cars, she probably won't be going jogging again.

Safety is definitely a factor when running where I live. I’m a woman, but I don’t run my neighborhood even with my husband. We’ve been shot at twice and seen guns used several times while running here, and only last week two people were shot by someone firing through the glass door into their apartment, on the street we used to run down. As a result we get into the car and drive fifteen minutes to half an hour, to get to a park where it’s safer to run.

@rheddmobile you must live near my wife and I. I wish I were joking. We leave the area for long walks and such. And it is absolutely unsafe for any woman to go alone.

Wow.

I run around my neighborhood perfectly safely all the time, including in the morning before sunrise -- I love being out running when the sun comes up. I live in Chicago (murder capital of the US, apparently), but the crime in Chicago is generally in specific areas, not where I live.

Ditto--early morning, later at night. I pay ridiculously high rent (will likely never be able to afford to buy a house here), and I live in an incredibly safe area. Plenty of hiking, biking, beach year-round. I'll take it. I carry pepper spray, but it's honestly more for the coyotes than the humans.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 Regarding woos, I see someone's just woo'd me for my opinion on today's events in UK politics, so... :D

I got a couple too. I'm collecting them lol.

Is it too much to ask that the "wooer" voice their opinion as well? You know, debate forum and all...

It's also fairly easy to accidentally woo or hug a post while scrolling on your phone. The forums can run a little slow on my phone and in a desperate attempt to get my page to scroll I find myself wooing or hugging posts sometimes. I usually catch them, but I'm sure some people who post a lot have gotten some random woos or hugs from me.

I'd love either from you! :heart:

Done :wink:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Wow that was a difficult read. I'm sure I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said but that article, wow.