What did you buy that helped you lose weight?

12346»

Replies

• OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Food scale (and use it for everything!) and a tape measure - I've found physical measures and health markers to be more motivating than the body scales.

Good luck OP - you've got this !
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Walking shoes, food scale, Free weights, Soda Stream and my community garden membership
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    A digital kitchen scale that measures in both grams and ounces, enough capacity to allow me to put a heavy pot on and then add food, and a tare function (for zeroing out the weight before making new additions).
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,310 Member
    edited June 2019
    food scale here too, nutribullit, & only IF you love dogs,(otherwise the dog will suffer) get a dog (or volunteer at a shelter, walk a friends dog) that HAS to get out & exercise. I take my dogs out every day weather I want to or not because I love them & they NEED it. I get most of my exercise from walking. We also go to the dog park where there are hills I run up/down. Today we are joining a private dog park with a 2,000 gallon pool for dogs & agility yard
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Food scale, definitely! And good shoes, first walking and later running shoes.

A couple of items not directly related to food and exercise have also helped me along the way. I got a new mattress which enabled me to get much better sleep, which helped me to be well rested and not skip my exercise or overeat because I wanted more energy. I also subscribed to an Ipsy makeup bag, because trying on new makeup once a month acts as a reward, instead of rewarding myself with food, and also reminds me how much better I look now that I’ve lost weight.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    A food scale!
  • AyoBenni2618
    AyoBenni2618 Posts: 24 Member
    hjohnso5 wrote: »
    I’m currently restarting my weight loss journey after losing ~60 pounds three years ago, but have unfortunately gained it all back. My question for those who have had success - are there any tools that you purchased which made your journey easier?

I am trying to prioritize my health, and if that means spending more money to be healthy, I’m ready to do it!

A book: Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle - Tom Venuto
  • moxiefitman
    moxiefitman Posts: 16 Member
    For me:
    1. Premier Protein Drink each morning. Nothing else.
    2. Strong commitment to avoid all fast food, all sugary drinks, all breads & cakes, all deserts (except for a very very rare bite once in a while), red meat (once a month if any).
    3. Strong commitment to reduce and control meal portions.

I guess that there’s no special purchase here. The daily premier protein is what got me motivated and committed to eating better for the other two meals. And it’s worked.

Less food in mouth people. That’s the name of the game. If food must go into mouth then it must only be healthy nutritious foods 95% of the time.
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    My most useful purchases have been a food scale, a scale to weigh myself daily, a "Simply Keto" book, a ketone meter, Beachbody's Chalean Extreme DVD weight-lifting program, Bowflex SelecTech dumbbells, 3, 5, and 10 lb. dumbbells, good running shoes, orthotics, and Billy Blanks TaeBo workout videos. The only big purchase gathering dust is my bicycle. It's time to sell the bike. l rode it for a while, but lost interest after the chain slipped (operator error) and I fell off.
  • SammyD242
    SammyD242 Posts: 48 Member
    A). A food scale, as noted above. It’s SO frigging easy to underestimate the real amount of food you’re eating. Quit guessing!!! Pre-weigh your food and enter it in MFP before you eat it!!!!

B) a decent human scale, and dont start obsessively weighing yourself! Allow for minor fluctuations and only weigh once a week, buck naked, first thing in the morning!

C) my Garmin Vivosmart. I wear it all day except for shower time. It’s synced with MFP so it’s tracking my steps, distance, calories, exercise times, sleep patterns and heart rate. I set it up so that if i sit still for 50 minutes it vibrates and tells me to MOVE!!
  • pumpkinstrike
    pumpkinstrike Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2019
    Food Scale, Weight Scale, and an instant pot... now I don’t have an excuse to not cook a healthy meal... I used to say that it would take to long to thaw and cook chicken, so let just go to (insert fast food here).... now I can cook frozen chicken in the same time it take for me to go to get fast food and come home.

I also got a subscription to Beachbody on Demand... I like having good workout programs available to me at all times (i cook my chicken while I do my workout at home)