Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

If money was no issue... organic.

Replies

• 777Gemma888777Gemma888 Posts: 8,900Member Member Posts: 8,900Member Member
    I'd like to believe I wouldn't alter my purchasing choices. I may buy more from Marx Foods and D'Artagnan.
  • vanityy99vanityy99 Posts: 793Member Member Posts: 793Member Member
    That’s what I figured people were doing when Id catch them staring into my cart, no shame in their game. :s

I don’t go out of my way to buy organic meats, the only time I get organic is when I need to get oxtail at a butcher, a farmer guy who owns his own store- apparently his stuff is organic. I don’t really stress over things like that.
  • SpadesheartSpadesheart Posts: 416Member Member Posts: 416Member Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    If money was no issue, I'd have a little hobby farm with my own cows and chickens, and fruit trees and a nice garden so I could have my own fresh... lots of stuff.

We can't make really high quality cheese here because we force pasteurize our milk. Not inherently bad, but I would like the options regardless.

We are suggested not to use our eggs raw in the same applications the Japanese do as we cannot be truly sure of their freshness unless you go out of your way to buy from a farm.

Apple's can sit in deoxygenated chambers for up to a year without rotting, which is why they're always mealy come winter. Similar for many other fruits.

Herbs are just too damn expensive. Mint is literally a weed and basil grows like one.

Failing that, the best you can do is shop sales and buy from a good farmers market (not a trendy one where the fruit and veg is actually more expensive than a normal grocery, but one where you can buy whole bushels.)

Meat...probably more lamb and fish as opposed to mostly chicken and pork now. Asian groceries where I live get decent quality pork to a dollar a pound. Can't justify the more expensive meats right now.
    Honestly, if you have the space just grow your own herbs. There are a number that grow well inside if you don't have anywhere to grow them outside but whatever you do, don't grow mint outside of a pot.

I need money to be no issue though hahaha
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,113Member Member Posts: 3,113Member Member
    If money was no issue, I'd have a little hobby farm with my own cows and chickens, and fruit trees and a nice garden so I could have my own fresh... lots of stuff.

We can't make really high quality cheese here because we force pasteurize our milk. Not inherently bad, but I would like the options regardless.

We are suggested not to use our eggs raw in the same applications the Japanese do as we cannot be truly sure of their freshness unless you go out of your way to buy from a farm.

Apple's can sit in deoxygenated chambers for up to a year without rotting, which is why they're always mealy come winter. Similar for many other fruits.

Herbs are just too damn expensive. Mint is literally a weed and basil grows like one.

Failing that, the best you can do is shop sales and buy from a good farmers market (not a trendy one where the fruit and veg is actually more expensive than a normal grocery, but one where you can buy whole bushels.)

Meat...probably more lamb and fish as opposed to mostly chicken and pork now. Asian groceries where I live get decent quality pork to a dollar a pound. Can't justify the more expensive meats right now.
    Honestly, if you have the space just grow your own herbs. There are a number that grow well inside if you don't have anywhere to grow them outside but whatever you do, don't grow mint outside of a pot.

The equivalent of less than a week of not buying fancy coffee drinks would net you enough extra money for a pot or two, some soil, and herb starts. I think the thyme start I bought last week was 4.99? If not 3.99.
  • jennifer_417jennifer_417 Posts: 12,307Member Member Posts: 12,307Member Member
    I don't really pay much attention to those things, to be honest. I'm certainly not willing to pay double for them.

The equivalent of less than a week of not buying fancy coffee drinks would net you enough extra money for a pot or two, some soil, and herb starts. I think the thyme start I bought last week was 4.99? If not 3.99.

I already make my coffee at home haha. The cost of the pots and plants are easy enough, it's the windows with good sunlight, and I can't quite move haha
  • glassyoglassyo Posts: 4,022Member Member Posts: 4,022Member Member
    The post came off as combative to me but the poster DOES enjoy fighting with people on the internet so there ya go.

I don't go out of my way to buy organic. I *have* but only because I buy my bananas to last the whole week so some need to still be pretty green and the organic bananas made up the difference. Or in the case of Trader Joes' cookies or cereal where it just happens to say "organic". :)

If I had the money, I would much rather hire a person to cook or shop for me.
  • clicketykeysclicketykeys Posts: 3,513Member Member Posts: 3,513Member Member

Jeez, how much are people spending on coffee?

My issue with growing herbs is that I kill plants. XD
  • RemothRemoth Posts: 103Member Member Posts: 103Member Member

Not just the money savings! Caloric savings too! Haha.

I already make my coffee at home haha. The cost of the pots and plants are easy enough, it's the windows with good sunlight, and I can't quite move haha

Ah yeah, the lack of light can be hard. That said mint and oregano, among other things, would probably be fine (unless you're a basement apartment, in which case you have my sympathy).

Ah yeah, the lack of light can be hard. That said mint and oregano, among other things, would probably be fine (unless you're a basement apartment, in which case you have my sympathy).

Not a basement, but first floor with stuff pretty much around me on all sides blocking light. Even my balcony gets no sun.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,246Member Member Posts: 7,246Member Member

Not a basement, but first floor with stuff pretty much around me on all sides blocking light. Even my balcony gets no sun.

Thats like me and my apartment. I have a different issue with growing things on the balcony, squirrels lol. Mother *kitten* dig and eat anything I plant there. They get on the balcony via a tree growing near by.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 12,464Member Member Posts: 12,464Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Thats like me and my apartment. I have a different issue with growing things on the balcony, squirrels lol. Mother *kitten* dig and eat anything I plant there. They get on the balcony via a tree growing near by.

Hardware cloth cages (appropriate mesh) work pretty well for squirrels, when well secured, and block only a bit of light (might be a problem if you're on the shadier side of OK to start). If you have raccoons, all bets are off.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Hardware cloth cages (appropriate mesh) work pretty well for squirrels, when well secured, and block only a bit of light (might be a problem if you're on the shadier side of OK to start). If you have raccoons, all bets are off.

But thats just plain ugly. I dont want to sit out on my balcony and look at the whole things covered in chicken mesh. It will not make me feel too homely. Might as well wrap the whole balcony in that. Problem solved be it from squirrels or pigeon *kitten* haha :)
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 12,464Member Member Posts: 12,464Member Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

But thats just plain ugly. I dont want to sit out on my balcony and look at the whole things covered in chicken mesh. It will not make me feel too homely. Might as well wrap the whole balcony in that. Problem solved be it from squirrels or pigeon *kitten* haha :)

Just for clarity: Hardware cloth. Chicken wire or critter fence IME not so good for squirrels (bigger mesh, bendier). Personally, I think a well-constructed cage is not visually offensive, but I can see how you'd feel otherwise. :)
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,493Member Member Posts: 3,493Member Member
    I traditionally have grown herbs in pots on my (former) roof deck, along with tomatoes and various other plants depending on how ambitious I've been. This year I'm having a more traditional garden, but planning to grow herbs in pots on my back porch, with the hope that I can then bring them in when it gets cold and keep them going as a kitchen garden.
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I traditionally have grown herbs in pots on my (former) roof deck, along with tomatoes and various other plants depending on how ambitious I've been. This year I'm having a more traditional garden, but planning to grow herbs in pots on my back porch, with the hope that I can then bring them in when it gets cold and keep them going as a kitchen garden.

Yeah I grow a lot of things in pots, though this year I'm skipping most of the tomatoes. I'll probably plant one cherry tomato plant, but otherwise I have brussels sprouts and carrots in a raised bed, broccoli in a galvanized tub, and I potten a parsley plant earlier this week as well. I might get a second galvanized tub as I just bought some Tokyo long onion seeds this afternoon and those are likely not going to do well in the other containers we have.