Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

If money was no issue... organic.

Replies

• mgalsf12mgalsf12 Posts: 287Member Member Posts: 287Member Member
    Maybe it's because I live in California, but I do not find organic food to be that much more expensive than pesticide laden foods. I don't eat a lot of meat so I don't mind paying more for organic free range meat. Then again, I am not feeding a large family either...I also have a garden! :smiley:
    edited April 12
  • Daisy_Girl2019Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 154Member Member Posts: 154Member Member
    I always buy chicken breast organic otherwise they have so much added water that's why they are cheap. Nonorganic chicken breast can have so much added water they just shrivel during the cooking process. I might pay more with my organic chicken breast, but I know I get more meat.

Everything else I don't get organic. I plant my garden sometimes and even I use pesticides. We also raised beef and pig sometimes and we use abx with them and vaccinate them if need to.
  • BecomingMoreAwesomeBecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 135Member Member Posts: 135Member Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    I shop at my local farmers market and take a number of steps to buy local (and sometimes organic) produce, locally-raised meats (that are grassfed but not organic, because organic meat farming is a complex process for small local farmers), etc. And I buy organic milk, but not other dairy, for various reasons.

I don't believe there's any benefit to organic processed foods like cereal, chips, breads etc. I'm not convinced that the benefits to either me or the planet are worth the costs of buying organic bread, flour, sugar, etc. So I don't do that.

I'm doing this while feeding my family on USDA Thrifty Food Plan budget levels. It's possible. It requires a lot of meal planning, shopping from a specific list, and some up-front purchases like joining a CSA to pre-buy my veggies from a local farmer from June to October (and then eating what I get rather than going out to buy different stuff). The meat from local farmers is all frozen because they freeze immediately after slaughter/butchering, so you have to plan in advance to thaw what you need. We also stretch meat with greens and legumes. And we make a lot of stuff ourselves from scratch instead of prepared meals or pre-prepped ingredients.

So: Money is a huge issue for us right now, and I'm still choosing to spend more of it than I might otherwise to get *some* organic/local/free range/etc products. But I wouldn't go to Whole Foods to do it, because there are much cheaper ways to get there -- I'm probably spending less for the food I buy than many people spend on all-conventional groceries.

I haven't looked at that in a while so just took a peek, I wish lol. The Thrifty plan puts our family at 194.80 a week. Our grocery budget is $100 a week and that includes non-food items like pet food, cleaning/laundry supplies, tp/paper goods etc. My kids also do their schooling at home so they do not receive subsidized hot lunches etc. Some of those numbers are nuts!

I know this post is old by board standards, and it’s not actually addressed to you personally. :) Your post just reminded me of something my kids’ school district (and maybe others) do that may be helpful to some posters.

Over the summer our school district offers free lunch at one of the school sites for any minor living in our city, without any required means testing. Hopefully this information helps someone’s summer grocery budget!
  • hesn92hesn92 Posts: 5,635Member Member Posts: 5,635Member Member
    If money were no issue I would still not shop at whole foods or sprouts or whatever because I think those places are stupid and unnecessary. Unless like you said, there are particular items that have much better quality that makes it worth the trip. I might buy organic/grass fed/whatever, I might not. I'd choose whichever items look better. I would just shop at the regular grocery store but I'd use grocery delivery and buy all the fancy cuts of meat my heart desires. I'd probably buy less groceries because I'd also being going out to eat a lot more, or using some type of meal delivery service.
    edited April 12
  • J_NY_ZJ_NY_Z Posts: 1,148Member Member Posts: 1,148Member Member
    It would be tough for me to leave Wegmans behind. That being said if money was no option I would find a really nice farm that humanely raises their own meat and buy from them. I'm more interested in humane treatment than anything else. And I would buy from a farmers market when I could for produce.
  • magnusthenerdmagnusthenerd Posts: 865Member Member Posts: 865Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    Nope, I wouldn’t go organic ever. It’s a total scam.

Except that it is not a scam.

Considering many people think organic foods are pesticide free, I feel there's some level of deception going on, even if it isn't organic companies themselves directly misinforming consumers.
    How else do you account for the disparity between fact and belief?
  • ultra_violetsultra_violets Posts: 202Member Member Posts: 202Member Member
    I go to Whole Foods here in Mississauga for meat only. No other market around has better quality meat. None. Its the only thing I buy there unless I see something on a crazy good sale because of prices. As I walk around I see ppls carts and at checkout spending 100s of $$$ for what could be had for half at local grocery store. Im pretty sure people are willing to spend their money there on everything because of labels such as organic, healthy etc.

My question is.... if money was no issue for you, would you be buying organic, grass fed, pastured etc.? Or would you still stick to what you buy now. I will be honest, I dont know and I only shop for myself.

Money is definitely an issue for me. I buy organic when I can. Small things like peanut butter. Still can't justify $6 for a gallon of milk though.
  • carmarodriguez0001carmarodriguez0001 Posts: 2Member, Premium Member Posts: 2Member, Premium Member
    I would be organic all the time if I could. I am a teacher and my husband has returned to college to get his degree. So we buy organic for some items when we can.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,382Member Member Posts: 7,382Member Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

If I place two apples in front of you - one organic and the other conventional - can you tell me the difference?

Are the differences meaningful, measurable, and specific?

The lack of objective evidence certainly suggests that this is an intentionally deceitful and deceptive act.

No. Because they look the same. but there are studies that nutritionally they both can be different.

Now my turn to ask.

I put two apples in front of you, one is labeled organic and one conventional. They both look perfect. They both cost $1. Which one do you choose? Why?
    edited April 16
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,363Member Member Posts: 2,363Member Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

If I place two apples in front of you - one organic and the other conventional - can you tell me the difference?

Are the differences meaningful, measurable, and specific?

The lack of objective evidence certainly suggests that this is an intentionally deceitful and deceptive act.

No. Because they look the same. but there are studies that nutritionally they both can be different.

Now my turn to ask.

I put two apples in front of you, one is labeled organic and one conventional. They both look perfect. They both cost $1. Which one do you choose? Why?

Depends... I would smell both apples, feel both apples for firmness and texture and whichever apple passed the test would go in my basket.
  • sammidelvecchiosammidelvecchio Posts: 663Member Member Posts: 663Member Member
    I buy certain products like grass fed meat, cage-free eggs, no matter the price. I shop at a store called Fresh Market, or I go to local farmer's markets. My family also sometimes buys a whole cow and splits the meat, from one of the farms we like locally.

For fruits and vegetables, if I had the extra money I would absolutely buy organic. My dad was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in early 2016, and it really opened our eyes to what kind of toxins could potentially be on our produce. The lengths we would have to go to for him to be allowed to eat a simple home made garden salad were outrageous, and it really showed us that when you have everything at risk how careful you really have to be. There is a great documentary on Netflix about organic farming communities, and it really has some interesting information I never thought about before. Not even just about produce, but about the different factors needed to provide a truly sustainable farming culture.
  • JohnnytotheBJohnnytotheB Posts: 361Member Member Posts: 361Member Member
    I would continue to do what I do. Some organic, some non-organic and always buy the locally grown first.
  • ChrisCatMamaChrisCatMama Posts: 1,021Member Member Posts: 1,021Member Member
    I would definitely go organic if money wasn’t an issue.