Things people say when you lose weight

Replies

• swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    At a burger place the other day, a woman told me and my daughter she loved how "colorful" we looked, and how we weren't afraid to be ourselves (I was wearing a bright orange tshirt, and my kid a rainbow tie-dye dress.) I'm still 200+pounds. My kid is 300+. We both know she was commenting on our "courage" being visible while fat, but we didn't mind. I can sure see how someone might, though! We took it as kindly as it was meant, but wow. Not cool.

I've had more than one person tell me they admire my "confidence" and that they love my clothes- while also making comments about how they need to quit wearing all black (and typically, people who say this are much, much thinner than me). I know it's intended to be a compliment, but it's super backhanded.
  • VesperTV
    VesperTV Posts: 4 Member
    Someone asked me if I was sick.
    I would have said, "Yes, I'm sick of being fat!" 😆

"Yes, I am sick since I'm fat, obesity is a chronic disease."
  • smartpig1960
    smartpig1960 Posts: 1 Member
    I appreciated when a coworker (nurse) asked if it was intentional. Practical, caring question.
    I don’t much like the “you look great” comments as it implies that I (and anyone else who has been overweight) used to look awful. I prefer when people ask if I’m happy with where I’m at etc.
    The funniest one: I told a friend I’d lost 60 lb and her response was “oh no, it was way more than that.” First, I’m pretty clear on the amount and next, how bloody big do you think I was?!
    My absolute favourite was when someone was surprised to hear I’d lost weight. Sounds crazy I know, but this dear friend is pretty oblivious to the unimportant stuff. To her I was still the same.
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    Annie42019 wrote: »
    I really disliked “ keep up the good work”. It meant to me “ you need to do more”. Yuck.

that is one way to see it. When I get this comment, I finish it in my head with "bc this is a lifelong change FOR my life."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!