Woo Does Not Mean Woo Hoo

Replies

• pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,732Member Member Posts: 12,732Member Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Torxa wrote: »
    Torxa wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Best way to get "woos" is to start a thread about "woo".

:)

I respectfully disagree. It is the second best way. The best way is to nicely ask for woos. Personal experience.

Except @Tacklewasher He always gets hugs no matter what, like @quiksylver296 said :)

I'm not an expert but I believe that violates the Geneva Conventions. Everyone deserves woos.

Well.

I have 619 Woo's and 7.3K Hugs, so I think @pinuplove and @quiksylver296 are winning.....

How do you find that out, about how many Hugs & Woos you have?

Click on the notifications bell, and then click "All Notifications" and it will show.

Ah, mine doesn't do that. It says I don't have Notifications (it has always said I don't have them) and all I can do is click to change my Notification Preferences.

Go to the preferences and select "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in" and you will get notifications.

@Torxa You should have one now :)
  • jdhcm2006jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,123Member Member Posts: 2,123Member Member
    Best way to get "woos" is to start a thread about "woo".

:)

LOL! True, but I was also one of those people who thought it was meant to cheer, until someone posted what it meant when a post got a lot of "woos." I also assumed it would get a lot of woos just b/c people like poking fun ;)
  • jdhcm2006jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,123Member Member Posts: 2,123Member Member
    Yeah, I get annoyed too, as if I do get a woo I have no idea if someone actually thinks I said something worthy of it or if they're cheering me on.

That's the thing. It's like "are you saying 'yay!'" or are you saying I'm promoting incorrect information?
  • JasJaworskaJasJaworska Posts: 21Member, Premium Member Posts: 21Member, Premium Member
    Lol change the "Woo" to "Boo" haha there, less confusing :D :#

The confusion is intentional, apparently. Otherwise methinks they would have changed it ages ago. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, at least.

Haha, upvotes and down votes would be useful, I haven't seen any trolls or rude comments though, if someone ever "woo's" me I'll just take it as a compliment anyway :D

• lthames0810lthames0810 Posts: 723Member Member Posts: 723Member Member
    I think I accidentally touched the woo button as I was scrolling on my phone on another topic. Can you un-woo something?
  • L1zardQueenL1zardQueen Posts: 7,199Member Member Posts: 7,199Member Member
    I think I accidentally touched the woo button as I was scrolling on my phone on another topic. Can you un-woo something?

Yes, you can.
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,732Member Member Posts: 12,732Member Member

Just tap it again.
  • lthames0810lthames0810 Posts: 723Member Member Posts: 723Member Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

Just tap it again.

Ah! Thanks.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 19,440Member Member Posts: 19,440Member Member
    kgeyser wrote: »

...There's also a guideline about participation regarding the reactions (and if it's a guideline, you can be warned for it):

13. Participation

I WILL:

I will use reactions to participate positively.

I will flag content appropriately.

I will @ mention a member to share something awesome.

I WON'T:

I won’t use the spam or abuse flags because I don’t like someone.

I won’t misuse the spam or abuse flags.

I won’t use reactions in a hurtful manner.

I won’t use mentions (@) to call out other members in a negative way.

@kgeyser so can I assume we can call moderator attention to the possible violation of the guideline by using Flag > Report > Other > Notes > "misflagged for woo"?
    edited April 9
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 2,966Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,966Member, Premium Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    A lot of times someone will commented on a thread and get wooed a bunch, so they get mad and retaliate and woo everyone else.

That actually doesn't happen "a lot of times." That's actually really rare as far as woos go in this community.

And in keeping with the linked topic:

Woo: Woo is a term for pseudoscientific explanations that share certain common characteristics, often being too good to be true (aside from being unscientific). Woo is understood specifically as dressing itself in the trappings of science (but not the substance) while involving unscientific concepts, such as anecdotal evidence and sciencey-sounding words.

What is woo: Any claim that is too good to be true, such as ingesting a certain substance will cause weight loss independent of diet and exercise. This is for outlandish claims - keyword being "claims."

What is not woo:
    • A user asking a question about a topic they heard about (ex. I heard fenugreek causes weight loss, is that true?). Even if what they are asking about is not true, they are asking to learn more, not telling people to take it.
    • Someone mentioning a way of eating, especially an established way of eating, someone else does not prefer.
    • Someone discussing a way of eating or tool to assist in weight loss in normal conversation without going into very specific detail about calorie deficits.
    • Someone recommending a group on MFP for more information.
    • Someone you don't like making a post.
    • Someone (who you may not like) posting in a group that you have no interest in or are not a member.
    • Someone posting a suggestion that is incorrect or misleading, when that suggestion is commonly appearing in the media. For example, someone may state that sugar causes weight loss and recommend cutting back on sugar. Is that statement correct? No. Is it woo? Not really, because there are tons of articles out there in the mainstream media suggesting it, and it appears as teasers for news programs. There's a difference between not understanding a concept, or being misled in the diet and fitness field (which known for misleading people), and woo. That's someone who would probably benefit from having someone explain politely and respectfully, and provide more information, not just hitting the woo button.
    • Someone mentioning one word someone else doesn't like or phrase in an otherwise helpful and correct post. No one knows which part is being woo'ed.

There's also a guideline about participation regarding the reactions (and if it's a guideline, you can be warned for it):
    13. Participation

I WILL:

I will use reactions to participate positively.

I will flag content appropriately.

I will @ mention a member to share something awesome.

I WON'T:

I won’t use the spam or abuse flags because I don’t like someone.

I won’t misuse the spam or abuse flags.

I won’t use reactions in a hurtful manner.

I won’t use mentions (@) to call out other members in a negative way.

Can you clarify something for me? It sounds like in the "what is not woo" section that woo shouldn't be wooed if the media is popularizing it. So we can only woo pseudoscience if it's not currently popular in the diet industry?

It seems to me that would basically mean no one should use the woo button, because other than the occasional somatype post, all the pseudoscience people tend to contribute to a thread is currently popular, that's why it's in their head in the first place.

Thanks!

Agreed with your question. It seems like the majority of the woos are given for one of the "thou shalt not woo" topics. What are some acceptable examples of wooable content then?