Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Woo Does Not Mean Woo Hoo

1212223242527»

Replies

• WinoGelatoWinoGelato Posts: 13,270Member Member Posts: 13,270Member Member
    Hey, long-timers/in-the-know members or staff/moderators:

What happened to the "CICO Still skeptical _Come inside for a meticulous record thread?" It's coming up "no permission."

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

Ugh. I don’t know for sure but I remember there was some snappiness from a particular user that seemed to be prompting some arguments in there a few months back. I guess maybe it got taken down rather than just cleaning up the posts which were off topic or against TOS. It’s a shame because that was a super helpful thread to refer people to.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 28,519Member Member Posts: 28,519Member Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What happened to the "CICO Still skeptical _Come inside for a meticulous record thread?" It's coming up "no permission."

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

Ugh. I don’t know for sure but I remember there was some snappiness from a particular user that seemed to be prompting some arguments in there a few months back. I guess maybe it got taken down rather than just cleaning up the posts which were off topic or against TOS. It’s a shame because that was a super helpful thread to refer people to.

Aww, that's awful. That is a really good thread.

This is why we can't have nice things. ::wah::
    Also, has anyone else lost their ticker on their profile page? Not that it really matters to me, just wondering if I'm Special. It's been gone for months, I broke down and sent a tech ticket this morning but I'm not that hopeful about it getting fixed.

@CyberTone (who I'm assuming is no longer on MFP, *sadface* )
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 13,750Member Member Posts: 13,750Member Member

I knew it had been closed due to arguments, but considering other threads that get cleaned up on a regular basis, I can't begin to imagine why they would delete the whole thread. It was a great resource, even as a closed thread, and a loss to newer members.
    edited September 8
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,617Member Member Posts: 7,617Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I knew it had been closed due to arguments, but considering other threads that get cleaned up on a regular basis, I can't begin to imagine why they would delete the whole thread. It was a great resource, even as a closed thread, and a loss to newer members.

Sadly it did not prove cico but was the data of one person. Proving anything is very hard medically speaking. The way I prove my personal cico to myself is to just weigh my body each morning when I get up because that does not require higher math. :)

I didn't see the final iteration, obviously, but I know they cleaned it up for years. I agree that it would be nice if it were to be readmitted but locked. Ya never know. It's out there somewhere.

If for no other reason than the before and afters.
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 3,404Member Member Posts: 3,404Member Member

I agree that it would be nice if it were to be readmitted but locked.

I was just wondering if that is ever done? It's a real shame that a beneficial post would get removed due to others' bad behavior. :(
    try2again wrote: »

I agree that it would be nice if it were to be readmitted but locked.

I was just wondering if that is ever done? It's a real shame that a beneficial post would get removed due to others' bad behavior. :(

I don't know. Doubt it...I think there has to be some level of moderator fatigue when they have to keep hosing down the same thread.
    Ya know what's weird about threads they let die (like this one I notice doesn't "refresh" to the top of the list any more)? My last post says it is today ^^ but on the list in the subforum it says "September 5."

Tricksy.
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,732Member Member Posts: 12,732Member Member
    Ya know what's weird about threads they let die (like this one I notice doesn't "refresh" to the top of the list any more)? My last post says it is today ^^ but on the list in the subforum it says "September 5."

Tricksy.

Indeed. That means only those of us who have it marked for notifications will see it.
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,617Member Member Posts: 7,617Member Member

Sadly it did not prove cico but was the data of one person. Proving anything is very hard medically speaking. The way I prove my personal cico to myself is to just weigh my body each morning when I get up because that does not require higher math. :)

That wasn’t the point of the thread because CICO refers to the thermodynamic energy balance and isn’t really something that needs to be proven.

The point was to demonstrate that regardless of nutritional quality of the foods consumed, it’s possible to achieve weight management and fitness goals and the OP was a stellar example of success in achieving body composition that most of us can’t even fathom.

I agree with you about the title issue. The only way I know to compute CICO is with a set of bathroom scales and tracking hydration levels.

At least the meaningless Woo button is gone. Negative remarks from anonymous profiles are just public opinions that carry no reason to exist and the reason they have no sound reason to be considered. Thankfully CICO is not the base cause of obesity.
  • Lillymoo01Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,421Member Member Posts: 2,421Member Member

That wasn’t the point of the thread because CICO refers to the thermodynamic energy balance and isn’t really something that needs to be proven.

The point was to demonstrate that regardless of nutritional quality of the foods consumed, it’s possible to achieve weight management and fitness goals and the OP was a stellar example of success in achieving body composition that most of us can’t even fathom.

I agree with you about the title issue. The only way I know to compute CICO is with a set of bathroom scales and tracking hydration levels.

At least the meaningless Woo button is gone. Negative remarks from anonymous profiles are just public opinions that carry no reason to exist and the reason they have no sound reason to be considered. Thankfully CICO is not the base cause of obesity.

The only way anyone can become obese is to eat more than they burn over a period of time. There is no other way. This is elementary science in regards to laws of energy and conservation. Anyone that thinks otherwise is foolish. There are things that will affect metabolism (energy being burned) but weight will always boil down to CICO.

This is where the woo button is great. When the are a number of them for a single post, it tells the readers that the comment made is a load of codswallop.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,150Member Member Posts: 3,150Member Member
    Thankfully CICO is not the base cause of obesity.

Of course it is. People have different reasons, perhaps, as to WHY their calories in exceeded their calories out for a time, although mostly there's no big reason needed, but all who became overweight did in fact eat more calories than they spent. And everyone who loses fat eats less calories than they spend for a time.
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    This is where the woo button is great. When the are a number of them for a single post, it tells the readers that the comment made is a load of codswallop.

Exactly this, but I think disagree with work as well, without lots of new posters assuming it means woo-hoo!