Thyroid Struggle is Real

Options
124»

Replies

• AmatullahMuwahidah
    AmatullahMuwahidah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Does anybody use iodine supplements for their thyroid issue?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I use iodine in my supplements to promote thyroid health.

I've had to go alternative because t3 is not tested here in the UK on the NHS, they just recon you are ok on levo. Both the pill form, containing diary and the liquid containing paraben, made me more ill, adding to my symptoms before I went alternative T4 levo is all we are allowed on the NHS. Our medics are of the opinion everyone can convert t4 to t3, which not every one can, because of genetics or mineral and vitamin deficiencies.

They not test for autoimmunity "because the treatment is the same as iodine deficiency" they also believe Autoimmunity does not need a reduction in antibodies but it does. This will probably entail eliminating foods which are mistaken for our own thyroid cells in molecule mimicry, reactions are commonly to dairy, gluten, soy is a common one but there are others often individual to the person which bring substantial benefits to those with autoimmunity. Being Hashi caused me food sensitivities by my not creating the required enzymes and things, the eliminations for this were way worse that for easing the autoimmunity itself. Autoimmune persons benefit from proper treatment because their thyroids are destroyed to a greater or lesser extent, depending at what stage their symptoms are acknowledged.

I get alternative thyroid products prescribed by a BANT Registered Nutritionist - UK only- most are imports from the US. The principal "Meda stim" a supplement containing iodine, selenium, and other vitamins and minerals excluding copper because that disagrees with me. I also take a multivitamin which is copper free.

If it were acknowledged most of us if we can take t4 even with the dairy and preservatives, giggle, we could also use iodine, those big pharmaceutical companies would be out of a job.

Our medics refuse to admit we need vitamins and minerals to support thyroid health. When you think how important a well functioning endocrine system is, its madness not to provide effective support.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've had underactive thyroid for almost 25 years. It took three years to get the dose right, but now it's stable. I was surprised that my dose stayed the same after my losing 65 pounds, but I'm okay with it. Exercise was the key to losing, for sure.